"Skim milk making you fat?"

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
Any one catch that story on Yahoo about skim milk? I've always assumed it was always skim milk for weight loss.
I'm kind of confused..
Discuss. There's the link -> http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/is-skim-milk-making-you-fat-2479492/

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk. Dairy and soy free! LOL
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The more I research and the more I read, the more I'm coming to believe that the less processed something is, the better, and that goes for milk. Read Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" for an interesting history and different perspective on the common associations between fat, cholesterol, heart disease and health. While I don't necessarily buy into every single thing he promotes, I do think he raises some important points, and it's made me realize that it's important to question conventional teachings on diet & health.

For the most part, I'd rather eat controlled portions of whole, natural foods (full fat) rather than more of the processed versions.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different thoughts and theories on this so do some googling and decide what you think.

Personally I like to eat clean, part of which means eating only whole foods. Many foods that a reduced fat are high in sugar or other chemical additives to improve the taste or texture.

So I switched from Trim Milk to Whole Milk at the end of last year and while I can't say I am loosing weight BECAUSE of that I am definitely loosing weight, reshaping and feeling great so works for me :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Milk in general is making you fat. XD

What do you think milk is for? It's to fatten up little baby calves into 1200-lb. cows. Not to sustain humans. There's a reason the slogan changed from "Does A Body Good" to "Got Milk?".

:laugh:

Soy and almond milks taste better anyway, in my opinion. ;)
  • iq5203
    iq5203 Posts: 17
    Options
    Skim milk has less calories than whole milk. Skim milk doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The Article is mis-leading...skimming around the concent (pun intended) that low-fat foods do not equal weight loss.

This stems from the archaic thinking that dietary fat makes you fat which isn't true.

By the same token however, it's labelling skim milk as a "chemically processed" food which isn't in its natural state (natural eating being recommended for healthy lifestyles).

Alot of the mis-conceptions of dietary fat intake that come out in the media are the complete opposite of recommendations made 5, 10 or 15 years ago....however, those same recommendations are constantly contracticted month after month.
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Skim milk has less calories than whole milk. Skim milk doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.

Agreed.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The Article is mis-leading...skimming around the concent (pun intended) that low-fat foods do not equal weight loss.

This stems from the archaic thinking that dietary fat makes you fat which isn't true.

By the same token however, it's labelling skim milk as a "chemically processed" food which isn't in its natural state (natural eating being recommended for healthy lifestyles).

Alot of the mis-conceptions of dietary fat intake that come out in the media are the complete opposite of recommendations made 5, 10 or 15 years ago....however, those same recommendations are constantly contracticted month after month.
    What he said, plus what the person said above.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I saw the story & figure it must have been a slow day at the news office because I don't find it any different then how most other "your health" stories start. They throw a bunch of things together to make a story & worry people "don't do this, don't drink this, don't eat this" but then it all just fades away.
    I owe the amount of milk that I drank in my childhood to "preventing me from breaking every bone in my body" when I was in a serious car accident. The words in quotes are from my doctor. I am alive, healthy, have strong bones, have few cavities, am rarely sick & easily fight off any colds I do catch (usually without meds) within a day. I might be overweight, but I don't blame the amount of milk that I drink as being the reason I am overweight.
    So unless they can 100% back up their story with proven MEDICAL facts - I will continue to consume milk.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about Yahoo news.

Also the whole, "don't restrict calories, it's ultimately bad for weight loss" seems a bit bogus to me. While I understand restricting calories too much is detrimental to your metabolism (and ultimately weight loss), it seems to me like they're advocating eating whatever you want (in whatever amount you want). I think someone needs to go back and seriously edit this article to make it clearer and more comprehensive.

While I understand that healthy fats are necessary in any diet, and in that respect I understand why drinking whole milk might be better than drinking skim milk, I think that as long as you're getting your healthy fats somewhere else, drinking skim milk isn't actually going to make you fat.

They claim: "Diets high in fat do not appear to be the primary cause of the high prevalence of excess body fat in our society, and reductions in fat will not be a solution." Well, I don't think skim milk is necessarily the problem, either.

Also, I happen to drink skim milk. Not because I'm like, "fat content, noooooo!" but because I just hate the taste of whole milk. I can go as high as 2% milk, and even that has a tendency to gross me out a bit.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I saw the story & figure it must have been a slow day at the news office because I don't find it any different then how most other "your health" stories start. They throw a bunch of things together to make a story & worry people "don't do this, don't drink this, don't eat this" but then it all just fades away.
    I owe the amount of milk that I drank in my childhood to "preventing me from breaking every bone in my body" when I was in a serious car accident. The words in quotes are from my doctor. I am alive, healthy, have strong bones, have few cavities, am rarely sick & easily fight off any colds I do catch (usually without meds) within a day. I might be overweight, but I don't blame the amount of milk that I drink as being the reason I am overweight.
    So unless they can 100% back up their story with proven MEDICAL facts - I will continue to consume milk.

You said it perfectly...I will say, I used to drink whole milk, have switched to skim.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I buy whole unpasturised from local farms when I can get it, but it's not that easy to get, so most of the time I have semi-skimmed. I only have milk in tea and on cereal anyway.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options

very well put! eat less move more...everything in moderation!
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Milk is great in proportion!

It is strange that Humans are the only species on EARTH that feed on another mammals milk.... think about it...

I like one glass on skim to start the day and one to end the day... well actually jack and coke zero to finish, but you get the point!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My Grandma used to say that skim milk was what they got when they rinsed out the vats of whole milk. Yuk! After researching and finding out that was NOT true (bless you Grandma), I drink skim milk all the time. I try to eat as clean as I can, and being that the 'processing' on this milk is limited to removing the fat from whole milk, (maybe adding the vit a and d) I still consider it a relatively clean food.