Strength training

Options
Hey guys/gals do you think a week of only hitting the weights will be good for weight loss ? my goal is to lose weight and add muscle what do you think ?

Replies

• cobretti
    cobretti Posts: 2
    Options
    You cannot be in caloretic deficit and add muscle mass. You cannot lose fat without the caloretic deficit. It sucks but thats the way it is. I would try a crossfit routine. Some of them are very difficult. Or just a p90x type thing. Good luck bro. Just gotta remember anything you do is better than nothing.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Sure! If you kept rest between sets to a minimum, I think you would love it. Plus, the pump you would get from the weight feels so good!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    You can loose fat and add muscle. You cannot loose weight and add muscle. Muscle is denser than fat, so in very basic terms what will happen is the scales will go up as the muscle mass increases and fat mass decreases

It is pretty late and I'm quite tired, but the basic premise of loosing at and adding muscle is this:

1) You need to be at a slight caloric deficit
    2) You need to make every calorie count
    3) You need to eat about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    4) You need to sleep very well
    5) You need to train intensely
    6) You need to be realistic with your goals and expectations
    7) You need to eat six meals a day (or at least a lot of meals a day, spread 2-3 hours apart) and each need to contain some form of protein
    8) It will be hard work, and you are looking at probably less than 10lb of muscle a year.
    9) If you drop your calories too much you will not be able to gain muscle
    10) This will be hard work, and you will most likely fail not because of not enough time in the gym or poor training by because of poor nutrition. You simply will not be able to have cheat days, or eat empty calories.

This is by far much harder than bulking and cutting, but you remain in good shape all through the year rather than during the cutting phase.

---EDIT---

Oh and before I forget, you will need cardio. Weight training will help with strength and eventually size, but if you skimp on the cardio you lose the stamina, endurance, fat burning properties of cardio, help with DOMS, and a load of other benefits that my sleep deprived mind cannot think of right now.

I'll have a peek at the thread tomorrow see if i can add anything else of value.
  • garettb
    garettb Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow thanks for the advice