Vegans?

Options

Replies

• Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try looking in to some raw food recipes, if you haven't already done so. There are plenty out there on the internet. One of my new favorite breakfasts is ~1/4C soaked almonds, ~1/4C soaked sunflower seed, and ~ 1/2C soaked and dried buckwheat. Make a batch and keep in on hand. In the morning serve it up with fresh fruit, raisins, cinnamon, etc. and (soy?) yogurt and/or some type of milk (I prefer rice milk).
  • tsomo
    tsomo Posts: 44
    Options
    bump! I also want to know more abt this :flowerforyou:
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    My husband and I are working on reducing our meat intake substantially and have really loved many Mark Bittaman's recipes. You can find a few on his website: http://markbittman.com

Most are just vegetarian and not vegan, but he definitely has some tasty vegan options. And lots of great ideas. If you like the free recipes, he also has a couple books that you can get.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    NO! Not only NO but H_L_ NO! It is not possible to maintain a normal healthy mass strength energy balance without including Meat in your regular intake!
    ( Just my personal opinion )
    bob

Your opinion, totally unsupported by facts.

hahahahahahahaha Love this post!
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    not correct at all. We don't need meat. I've been vegan for going on 3 years. Vegetarian before that. I have great stamina, energy, and seriously improved health - as a vegan.

Read The China Study. Look at our intestines (long and slow versus a lion (carnivore) which are VERY short and fast... ). Read Skinny *****.

As for variety - check out vegweb.com - they have AWESOME menu ideas - thousands of them.
  • pjgjnfl
    Options
    I am attempting vegetarian (not necessarily vegan) for the month of May and had a wonderful vegan dinner tonight:

brown rice
    black beans
    sprinkle with jamaican jerk seasoning and top with mango salsa:
    Mango
    Cilantro
    Jalepeno seeded and chopped
    chopped red onion
    lime juice

For breakfast you can try a cereal with Almond milk which is one of my new favorites as well. Toast with peanut butter and jelly is also delish for breakfast!

Try a potato hash with the veggie sausage (if you can find a vegan variety) and onions and green peppers for an omelet type breakfast without the eggs.

ETO - I didn't realize there were eggs and milk in the veggie sausage! Oops...

Try GIMMELEAN sausage - totally vegan and DELISH. Publix (large southeast chain) has them... whole foods does, too... most health focused stores will have.
  • allybtucker
    allybtucker Posts: 91
    Options
    I do a breakfast based off Timothy Ferriss's 4 Hour Body's slow carb recommendation. It's really simple. It's a cup to half a cup of frozen spinach, half a cup of beans, (kidney, pinto, black, whatever), 1/5 a block of tofu, and a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Crumble the tofu into the rest and heat in the microwave, sometimes I add a little Mrs. Dash . When I was eating egg beaters instead of tofu, I kept them separate, except for mixing the salsa into the eggs, but the tofu is not as tasty as the eggs (imo), and needs to be mixed with the rest to be edible. 226 calories. I feel very virtuous (and full) after eating this for breks!
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Happy vegan here! =)

BUMP
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I too have recently gone Vegan and am loving all the new recipes and food to try. I read The Food Revolution and it does a great job in clearing up the myths about needing dairy or meat to have a healthy diet. Here are some sites that have great vegan recipes to help you get out of your food rut.

http://vegweb.com/
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/index.html
    http://fatfreevegan.com/
    http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-recipes.asp
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
    http://happyherbivore.com/
  • pjgjnfl
    Options
    those are some GREAT sites... I love vegweb.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but I love to cook and experiment with different ways of eating, vegan being one of them. My favorite thing to do is search for food blogs and I've found a few vegan ones that have some delicious recipes!

http://sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com/ (These girls have awesome recipes, many of them made with quinoa. Experiment with it if you haven't! It's the best grain and it's a complete protein as well!)

http://veganyumyum.com/

http://happyherbivore.com/
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also gotta disagree with bob. I've been vegan for 3 years, and I feel better than I ever did as a meat eater. Also, someone mentioned that vegans eat a lot of junk food, but I haven't found that to be the case. At least not for me. I ate way less crap as soon as I went vegan.

As far as recipes, if you want good breakfast stuff try vegan brunch by ISA Chandra moskowitz. It has some delicious recipes. (a lot of them are more comfort food, so moderation is key, but delicious nonetheless.)

Other have mentioned vegweb, which is great. I have a (probably too) huge collection of vegan cookbooks, and I find they really help when I feel like I want go try something different. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have any questions.
  • cecenk
    cecenk Posts: 4
    Options
    Bump...can't wait to come back and check this out some more.
  • nalopez
    nalopez Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian although I don't buy or cook meat at home (occasionally I indulge *poor word choice* in meat at a family gathering) and rely heavily on "Veganomicon" an amazing vegan cookbook! I also love Vegetarian Times mag or their website is full of amazing recipes.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I went vegan for a year and breakfast can get boring. What I did was just try to vary basics with various fruits/spices.

-Various fruits (whatever is seasonal)
    -Pumpernickle toast with peanut butter
    -Oatmeal with some pumpkin puree stirred in, agave syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Or dried blueberries with vanilla extract. Or bananas, walnuts, and maple syrup.
    -Various cereals
    -Quinoa is really good with cold with vanilla almond milk and cranberries in it.

There all pretty good

really you can do basically anything that you want for breakfast same as anyone else

the only other things people really eat for breakfast/vegan versions

scrambled tofu
    baked beans
    grilled veggies/spinach, mushroom, tomato on toast
    could use your fake meats as well (I don't eat too many of them though)
    pancakes
    vegemite or other yeast based spreads
    smoothies
    muesli

pretty much anything you want haha

there are heaps of resources around and heaps of websites with vegan recipies

I'm a fan of fatfreevegan.com :)

There are also heaps of vegans on the boards so feel free to ask questions as well as share any recipies you discover/come up with :)
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm not strictly anything, but lately I've been leaning toward vegeism. (I'm coining a new term for full on meat eaters, who throw in vege meals for variety. Sue me.)

One of the benefits- I discovered Carob. Sooooo good (in the bulk store.)

Breakfast this morning was Cream of Wheat with Soy milk, sprinkled with carob powder and cinnamon. (Carob tastes like chocolate-17% less fat.)

And tofu pudding was amazing.
    box silken tofu
    1/4 c. carob powder
    1/2 c. cocoa powder
    1/2 c. soy milk (or almond or rice or whatever)
    sugar to taste.
    Mix it all up.

In my small city, the bulk store is the best place to find vegeism type products. Sesame seed butter has *almost* replaced peanut butter. I sometimes also do tofu wraps, like you would an egg wrap, cause unseasoned tofu tastes like scrambled eggs to me.
  • merah
    merah Posts: 2
    Options
    a great vegan breakfast- brown rice pudding - many recipes on internet
  • pjgjnfl
    Options
    Just more personal perspective - I haven't eaten beef or pork since 1996... was vegetarian for years and in my 3rd year vegan.

Have never felt better... have never exercised more... and blood work is better than ever all around.

I'm in much better shape in my 40s than I was as a meat-eater in my 20s. And yes, activity and education play a role - but so does nutrition (HUGE).

I play around with a website that has a BUNCH of cool recipes. I'm not sure if you're allowed to post or not. It's free and no reg., though... so I'll take a chance. It's www.popvegonline.com I used to do a cooking show... some episodes still up there. But it's more of a handy fun way to (occasionally) share good vegan fare.

Peace!!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am no longer a vegan (although I plan to go back to it once my kids are grown and out of house), but I am almost vegetarian (I try to eat as little meat as possible). How about tofu scramble? I love it and it has the consistency of eggs. saute garlic and onion in some olive oil chop up the tofu real fine and then add it to the saute until it browns nicely. how about a breakfast sandwich? scrambled tofu + sausage style gimme lean+ plan bagel= yumminess. You can add a slice of soy cheese to it too. Let me tell you, soy cheese sucks. lol, I will probably be almost vegan. I can't take soy cheese.
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am no longer a vegan (although I plan to go back to it once my kids are grown and out of house), but I am almost vegetarian (I try to eat as little meat as possible). How about tofu scramble? I love it and it has the consistency of eggs. saute garlic and onion in some olive oil chop up the tofu real fine and then add it to the saute until it browns nicely. how about a breakfast sandwich? scrambled tofu + sausage style gimme lean+ plan bagel= yumminess. You can add a slice of soy cheese to it too. Let me tell you, soy cheese sucks. lol, I will probably be almost vegan. I can't take soy cheese.

Have you tried the newer vegan cheeses like Daiya? My non vegetarian boyfriend loves the stuff.