Not meeting calories...and STILL not hungry~!

Options
TiffyC828
TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
WOW! I never thought I'd say that! Since joining MFP, and keeping track of my calorie intake, Its REALLY helped me see what I am putting into myself (calorie wise). I'm not a big fruit and veggie eater, as you can tell by my food diary...but I'm working on it. I never would have thought of this as a problem before, but after hearing people talk about your body going into 'starvation mode' I am worried because I am always under my calories. At first I didn't think too much of it, because I assume most of what is on here isn't 100% accurate. I've tried the snacking on almonds and fiber-filled foods...but I'm just not hungry. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks on most days..even then, I'm always feeling full! Who would have thought I'd be complaining about this?! I have been making progress and I'd hate to see a stall after a month!

Any suggestions or advice would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. I'm bad about going over my calories by a few hundred even with exercise and I'm ALWAYS hungry. I don't know if it's pyschological because I'm trying to NOT eat as much or what.

Are you drinking a lot of water or anything really high in protein? I've heard that can cause you to feel full though I've tried the water trick and it hasn't really worked for me.
  • kjosey1
    kjosey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Wow I have the opposite problem! I can't stop eating lol. I don't know what you're eating, but maybe you can try adding avocado, nuts, sweet potatos, or more lean meats. These foods are higher in calories but very healthy. Maybe I should try your diet for a day....what does a typical day consist of for you? I put avocado on everything....sandwiches, burgers, wraps, salads....it adds a lot of flavor and it has healthy fats that your body needs.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Some good strategies were given in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229850--exercise-calories
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had that problem in the begining..... I felt like I was stuffing my face all day long, was always super full, and felt like if I ate another bite I would explode. Eventually my body got used to it and required more food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    as long as you are eating nutritiously and not hungry, why would you eat more??
  • VixNoir
    VixNoir Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the same problem and its really stressing me out. I am always under and I feel like I eat a ton. The starvation mode is stressing me out. I have been doing alot of reading on it. I am just unsure what to do as well. Also I can barely eat my calories. Then I am supposed to eat my work out calories and I have never been able to do that but to just go over. I also eat 3 meals and 3 snacks inbetween. I am going to store tomorrow. Going to look for things that are not so calorie low.
  • alacyt
    alacyt Posts: 9
    Options
    Losing weight is strictly math. Keep counting calories and you'll lose weight gradually and safely. This is the best way. Also, when you take a mathematical approach to food, you'll find there's no room for guilt. I love being able to eat the foods I love but just not eat too much of them. I usually only find myself ravenous around that time of the month which I blame on hormones. I still try to stay on target but if I go a little over for the day, just get back on track the next day.

I also like to keep jerky (I love Jack Link's Beef Teriyaki) in my purse for when I get that ravenous feeling. A few bites helps me get through to lunch.

Keep up the good work and best wishes!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
  • phoebetf
    phoebetf Posts: 5
    Options
    Me too! I've been eating a decent amount of food but still don't feel hungry. I guess it's because since I started counting calories and nutrition, I have been paying a lot more attention to the nutrition that I'm taking in--protein and fibres especially. They seriously curb my cravings :/ I've also been losing weight at a healthy rate (approx. 1-2 lbs/week).
    So if you're taking in enough proteins and fibres, this might be the reason why you're not feeling very hungry, if not, maybe try to manipulate your calorie intake and see if there're other causes?
    Good luck!!!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is strictly math.

Technically yes.... but there is a lot more to it than just math.
  • TiffyC828
    Options
    not crazy amounts of water...I usually do about 4 glasses of plain old water, then I will mix in crystal light..or have some vitamin water (which even those have calories! lol) I've been eating special K items (cereal, bars, etc) and those I believe are a good source of fiber..so maybe that is why!? Geesh..who would think we'd have this problem!
  • TiffyC828
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and sharing the threads! I will be sure to check them out.

I am averaging about 2 pounds a week on weight loss, which is good/healthy amount. I'm just trying to keep myself from going into starvation mode :)

Good luck to you all!
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been falling right at my target every night.....after I force myself to eat a snack after dinner. However, I do not eat the extra calories that I "earn" from working out. Would this cause me to go into starvation mode. It only gives me the little warning on the days where I haven't met my original goal.
  • alleykitty24
    Options
    Tiff I think since I know you personally I can say it will come we are both cut from the same cloth and I totally understand where your coming from. I eat breakfast lunch and dinner and at least 3 snacks and never hit my calories on here, I usually put away 8 - 10 glasses of water a day which I think curbs some of my hunger but also makes it hard for me to eat enough calories. I am forcing myself to snack more often while sitting at my desk and that helps to get me closer, try trail mix, I made my own at home with pretzels, m & m's, cashews, peanuts, gold fish and chex cereal. Its good and I can easily throw a handful in my mouth and keep going I dont even realize im eating the extra and I portion it out in seperate baggies so I know when this baggie is gone I only ate 3 tablespoons. Keep up your AMAZING work I cant wait till you come in town next so I can see your progress :) I'm so proud of you!!!
  • Slaying_All_Day
    Slaying_All_Day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling to meet 1200 calories a day. Feels odd trying to force myself to eat a sandwich when I could down fast-food quickly before. I think it's just the fact that you're paying more attention now than ever before.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have been falling right at my target every night.....after I force myself to eat a snack after dinner. However, I do not eat the extra calories that I "earn" from working out. Would this cause me to go into starvation mode. It only gives me the little warning on the days where I haven't met my original goal.

It could. It depends on how much larger that makes your deficit (ie do you have 200 cal burns or 600?) You want your Net (on home page) to be at least 1200 every day, and ideally it should match your initial daily goal.

You don't have much to lose, so you want a pretty conservative deficit. The body (especially for women) prefers to have a cushion of fat, so when you're relatively lean you have to coax the body to access those fat stores. The way to do that is to make sure the body KNOWS there will be enough fuel coming in. Inadequate fuel, especially in someone relatively lean, is more likely to cause the metabolism to slow and to increase muscle loss - both of which make it harder to lose fat.
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!!!
  • TiffyC828
    Options
    Tiff I think since I know you personally I can say it will come we are both cut from the same cloth and I totally understand where your coming from. I eat breakfast lunch and dinner and at least 3 snacks and never hit my calories on here, I usually put away 8 - 10 glasses of water a day which I think curbs some of my hunger but also makes it hard for me to eat enough calories. I am forcing myself to snack more often while sitting at my desk and that helps to get me closer, try trail mix, I made my own at home with pretzels, m & m's, cashews, peanuts, gold fish and chex cereal. Its good and I can easily throw a handful in my mouth and keep going I dont even realize im eating the extra and I portion it out in seperate baggies so I know when this baggie is gone I only ate 3 tablespoons. Keep up your AMAZING work I cant wait till you come in town next so I can see your progress :) I'm so proud of you!!!

Thanks Alley! Glad that I'm not the only one having these silly 'issues' haha..would would have thought!? And thanks for the words of encouragement..its getting easier now! Love you girly and you too keep up the great work! See you soon!!
  • alacyt
    alacyt Posts: 9
    Options
    Technically yes.... but there is a lot more to it than just math.
    [/quote]

Technically no. To lose weight you have to do the math... consume less calories than you burn. You don't even have to exercise to lose weight. Exercise is for maintaining a strong, healthy body. To lose fat, it's all about counting calories.