Measuring your food???

Options
2»

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale from walmart, it was around 30dollars and I LOVE IT.

I measure everything in grams. If grams is not available, I turn it into cups. Take the g weight, multiply by 0.035, then divide by 8, and that is how many cups of food it is.

(1 g = 0.035 oz ; 8 oz = 1 cup )

It isn't as hard as it looks, and I am so thankful that I can measure well now using my scale. It helps me avoid overeating, which I am prone to do!

Sorry, put cups and grams do not have a simple conversion like you are suggesting! 1 pound (something like 450 grams) of feathers will be WAY more than 1 cup while 1 pound of lead weights wouldn't even be 1/4 cup!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love my digital scale. Solid foods are easy and straight forward to measure. Zero the scale with your plate on it, add food till you get the weight you are looking for. Once you get good at it, you will probably be able to eyeball the amount and weight of your most common foods.
    I even have a home made chart for the liquids I use the most. For example, 8oz wine = 240grams (4oz = 120). Coffee mate is a little denser so 2oz comes in at 65gm or so. I put my cup on, zero the scale, and pour till I get the correct weight.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Found this online and think it will help people that are STUCK in the details...

A standard serving of...
    •cereal (1 c.) = a baseball
    •salad dressing (2 Tbsp.) = a shot glass
    •nuts (1 oz.) = a cupped palm
    •cheese (1 oz.) = a ping-pong ball
    •hamburger (3 oz.) = a mayo jar lid
    •peanut butter (1 tsp.) = one die
    •beef (3 oz.) = a bar of soap
    •rice (½ c.) = an ice cream scoop
    •potato = a computer mouse
    •dinner roll = a yo-yo
    •butter (1 tsp.) = a Scrabble tile
    •fruit (1 c.) = a tennis ball
    •cooked pasta (½ c.) = a golf ball
    •fish (3 oz.) = a checkbook
    •poultry (3 oz.) = a deck of playing cards
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I go by weight whenever possible. Volume measurements can be off depending on how compressed or uncompressed the stuff you're measuring is.

I weight also.