need strength training help

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
So now that I'm starting to notice the inches melting...I want to get more tone. I love having a personal trainer but I can't afford one :(

So I feel kind of lost and confused as where to start with strength training on my own...anyone have any advice or routines they'd like to share?

My gym has machines and free weights but I feel kind of intimidated in there. I have some 5lb weights at home and some resistance bands. Any advice?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    A) Don't be afraid! They're usually helpful at the gym, and want to encourage newbies :)
    B) If you want to stick at home, google resistance band exercises, and find ones that hit each muscle group, then maybe start with 2 per group.
    C) Don't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. You can do them all one day, or split it up.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's always free to ask for a little guidance! They may go so far as to set up a routine for you! Also you could look at routines on line. There are plenty of sites that have whole workout plans. I don't know if you have Newfiedan on your list on here but he is great with suggesting plans and sites to use. Just a thought.

Hope that helps!

Matt
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    There are a whole host of ways you can start strength training. Since you have the free weights available at the gym, I would suggest using them rather than machines. Free weights force you to work more muscles since you also need to balance and stabilize the load.

To start I would suggest what they call compound movements, that is exercises that use more than one muscle group/ more than one joint. I would especially recommend squats, romanian deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, and bent over rows all using barbells, although you could use dumbells for most of them. For how to do these the best bet is ask the trainers at the gym, but you can also look on youtube. I would suggest after warming up with some light cardio for 5-10 minutes, do a set of 6-8 repetitions of the exercise with a light weight. Rest for a minute or so, then do 3 more sets of 6-8 repetitions with a heavier weight. I would suggest to start use all light weights or you will be very sore, but after a week, increase the weight to something that you need to work for the last repetition.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Here is one I am looking at doing on my own time..

MRT

• Go through this circuit 3-4 times
    • Rest 1-2 minutes at the end of each circuit
    • Rest as little as possible between exercises within the circuit
    • As you get better and stronger, add resistance by wearing a weighted vest

1) Prisoner Squat -- 20 reps
    2) Close-grip Pushup -- 15 reps
    3) 1-Leg Squat -- 8 reps per side
    4) "Perfect" Pullup -- 1 rep short of failure
    5) Bulgarian Split Squat -- 20 reps per side
    6) Spiderman Pushup -- 12 reps per side
    7) Bodyweight Row -- 15 reps

Notes on the Moves:

• Spiderman pushups: Just doing pushups with your feet way up high on a wall like a proverbial "wall crawler". Or have a friend hold your legs so you're more in an upside-down position. 
    • Prisoner squats: Squats done with hands behind head with no weights but lots with deep leg movement 
    • Bulgarian Split squats: squats done with no weight with legs as far apart as possible being able to go low!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    First: Congrats on starting strength training, once you get going you'll notice fat melting off because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn on a daily basis, even when standing still...

Second: For the first few weeks it is always better to error on the side of too little weight. If your body is not used to it then it can be very easy to over do it and pull or sprain something. Take it slow, starting with low weights, do a few sets and start to slowly gauge where your current resistence level should be.

Third: Stretch, Stretch, Stretch before and after. I also do cardio for about 10-13 mins before I lift. Stretching helps avoid both injury and soreness.

A book I enjoyed that is not just about lifting but has a lot in it is Body for Life, I'm sure its available at used bookstores, and there's always lots of info on the internets and on here if you do a keyword search of the message boards. Good Luck and have fun.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I completed the New Rules of Lifting for Women and made great strength gains and built lots of lean muscle!! It is a very comprehensive program that walks you through everthing! Here is a link with info about it,

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So now that I'm starting to notice the inches melting...I want to get more tone. I love having a personal trainer but I can't afford one :(

So I feel kind of lost and confused as where to start with strength training on my own...anyone have any advice or routines they'd like to share?

My gym has machines and free weights but I feel kind of intimidated in there. I have some 5lb weights at home and some resistance bands. Any advice?

Tone will only come with weight loss I'm afraid. That doesn't mean don't lift, but lift for calorie burns, muscle growth (it won't turn you into a female body builder overnight either) and improved fitness.

Also, don't listen to whoever said to stretch before and after. Stretching has NOT proven to decrease injury occurance and is likely to make you sorer, as you cause more microdamage. This microdamage also limits the power the muscles can create, reducing the work-out's effectiveness.

Flexibility training is good, stretching as some kind of warm-up or "injury-prevention" is not.

Finally, don't be intimidated. Give the machines a go first if you're unsure, they force you into good form (assuming you have them set up right- most will have instructions on the machine) reducing the risk of injury. They aren't as effective as free-weights, but for peace of mind, they're worth it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

• Spiderman pushups: Just doing pushups with your feet way up high on a wall like a proverbial "wall crawler". Or have a friend hold your legs so you're more in an upside-down position. 

I was taught a different Spiderman Push-Up is on the floor. Maybe something you might want to add for something different. :wink: Start in the normal plank position and walk one hand and foot forward and do a push up. Then walk the other hand and foot forward (to forward from the first hand and foot) and do the next rep. You end up "walking" across the room to do a set.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have found that Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack has helped me tone my tummy massively. I have also heard 30 day shred is very good for all over toning. I try to do my DVD whilst wearing ankle weights for extra resistance. I got my DVD and ankle weights from amazon very cheap.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to some workout cards I have on my facebook fan page that you can do either at home or at the gym.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.231161091354.177945.231103626354

I'd recommend doing heavier weights then your 5 pounders in order to see the best results. But be prepared, when you are lifting properly with heavy enough weight to see benefits, you won't see as fast of a drop on the scale. But the inches will still be coming off and you will have more strength.