Water v. Crystal Light

Options
YES, that old chestnut. Sorry to bring it up AGAIN. My head is swimming.

I drink a lot of diet pop. I recently discovered the Crystal Light On the Go packets and think "hey, great, I can drink more water this way." But I have read posts here and on other sites (and been lectured by Pit-master Ali) that this is no good. Other sites suggest losing the diet pop but that Crystal Light is ok, even though both contain aspartame which is the devil incarnate, or not, or is it?!? Does splenda instead of aspartame make a difference?

Opinions vary. Is there any HARD evidence out there to tell me water with crystal light added is going to make that much of a difference than plain water alone? Yeah, I know there are some extra calories that come with Crystal Light, but I have already factored that in.

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I drink a lot of diet pop. I recently discovered the Crystal Light On the Go packets and think "hey, great, I can drink more water this way." But I have read posts here and on other sites (and been lectured by Pit-master Ali) that this is no good. Other sites suggest losing the diet pop but that Crystal Light is ok, even though both contain aspartame which is the devil incarnate, or not, or is it?!? Does splenda instead of aspartame make a difference?

Opinions vary. Is there any HARD evidence out there to tell me water with crystal light added is going to make that much of a difference than plain water alone? Yeah, I know there are some extra calories that come with Crystal Light, but I have already factored that in.
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am an avid drinker of Crystal Light, there is pitcher of it in my fridge as I write this. I drink maybe one glass a day though but when I am in Disney I use it in the water constantly because the water tastes a little different to me in the parks. I drink water like a fish though, no soda anymore, not even diet. I use Splenda as well in my tea and I am ready I think to try it my backed goods. SO if you find anything out give me a holler.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Calorie-wise - diet/crystal light will not have that much of an impact. Health-wise (effects over time) - the jury is still out.

You're going to find camps that support all varying degrees of thought on this topic - it really comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfty with. I used to be a splenda fan - bought that stuff by the pound at Costco! However, with the research that has been done (not enough research still), I just didn't feel good about ingesting artificial sweetners (or allowing my children to eat it either). So, we've switched to agave nectar, raw cane sugar, and pure maple syrup. I've "weaned" myself off sweetned coffee and drinks - I'll drink water or plain cold brew tea. Even still, natural sugar is used sparingly (except when I make my Mojito's :drinker: ).
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    I too have Chrystal Light from time to time but have found that Nestea makes a product that is the same thing....(little pouch you add to your water bottle)....and it is sweetened with Splenda instead of aspertame. If you want to cut out artificial sweetener all together of course this won't help but from what I understand Splenda is better than aspertame. They taste better too!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the crytal lights, but I used the Green tea Lipton on the go packs and had a killer headache (the worst headache I hve had in a looooooong time). Then a few days later my mom calls me to see which kind I had because she tried the crystal light and got a migraine within an hour. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I will never try them again.
    Plain ole water for me. Yummy! :drinker: :drinker:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have found that as I have gotten older, aspartame makes me feel jittery and lightheaded. I thought maybe it was the caffeine in diet pop, until I discovered I had the same reaction when I ate "light" yogurts that are sweetened with aspartame.

I tend to shy away from artificial sweeteners, even without hard evidence. Splenda is made with the molecule for chlorine....I dunno, my mom always said not to swallow the pool water....
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I don't use artificial sweeteners.
    I don't give them to my children.
    I don't like the taste and I figure the closer to natural foods my family eats the healthier we will all be in the long run. We don't use very much sugar either. We use honey for most sweetening purposes (in place of syrup on waffles, on breakfast cereal...etc.)

I've not read the safety studies on any of the artificial sweeteners so I don't have an opinion on them.

Sorry - forgot this was about drinks. We really like sun tea. My current favorite is Mango black tea by trader joe's. Yummmmy.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I dunno, my mom always said not to swallow the pool water....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i'm just gonna laugh b/c i don't feel like i have enough experience/insight on this topic to contribute anything other than a laugh lol:laugh: :laugh: