As summer comes, I lose my access to a gym :( Help?

Options
My college semester is ending next Monday (YAY.) But that also means I'll be losing my access to a gym. I'm very poor and have no money to really spend on exercise equipment. I have means of cardio in biking/running, and I have a set of 10lb weights. And that's it.

Anybody have an idea of what sort of workouts I should be looking to do at home that aren't immensely boring (re: push-ups and crunches) and will get results? If you suggest videos, please provide links or a way to find them online for free. I also have Netflix but the fitness section seems to really blow.

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    as far as Netflix goes... whenever I searched for a vid I got like 2 results. but now that I watched one, more keep popping up... can't really explain that but keep digging on there!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    oh & that's just for instant queue. you can order 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels and APPARENTLY it's awesome - haven't tried it yet personally
  • shmoejo
    shmoejo Posts: 37
    Options
    download utorrent (free prgram) , and too look up videos go to isohunt.com or thepiratebay.org and those have a ton on them and they are burnable :D
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You can do exercises that involve stairs. Just running up and down them strengthens your core as well as burns calories
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    if your school is open during the summer, you should still have access to it seeing as the campus is still open...
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    Do have Xfinity/Comcast Cable? If you do, then click the "On Demand" button then scroll to "Sports and Fitness" then click "Exercise" and find one that you like. Otherwise you can "Google" exercise; run or jog, push ups, walking, jumping jacks, etc. I wish you the best! :flowerforyou:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some videos on hulu.com, but haven't check to see if there are any good ones. (I'm guessing we have entirely different needs being that I'm work out challenged. )
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is amazing. You can grab it on amazon for a few pounds (or dollars?!)
    :wink:
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    um...as long as campus doesnt close down you should still have access to the gym....if your campus has summer classes(most do) the gym will still be available...you can find any of the Jillian michaels dvd's from amazon for about $6
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I should've probably clarified... I dorm, my campus is too far away to access during the summer, and I'm transferring somewhere even farther (but with a MUCH better fitness center) for the fall.

I had no idea I could order the 30DS from Netflix. I don't do much as far as ordering actual DVD's, so that would be an awesome chance to get to do it. Do I need any other equipment for that? Or can I go without...?

Thanks for all the suggestions though :)
  • drcain
    drcain Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Usually just a pair of lighter weight dumbbells...10lb may be a bit heavy but maybe not.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you can really just bike and walk and do some floor work for 10 minutes every other day. just watch what you eat. besides, walking and biking burn tons of fat. I burn a lot more fat walking than I do on the elliptical or doing jillian michael's dvds. and i'm not as hungry afterward.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Many cities have free or very low cost rec centers that often have gyms. The only drawbacks tend to be location (may be a ways from you--but maybe you can use active transport to get there and back--can be a bit sketch, as they're usually designed to offer recreational opportunities to marginalized communities) and hours (often only business hours, but if you're off for the summer, it might work for you).
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    My school has a summer gym access pass for $30 and it is good all summer, check into that!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't require gear. You might also check out local parks, some places have training stations along a course set up for people doing a workout in the park. You could also check out a place like body weight culture, they have a bunch of stuff for getting some lifting in via body weight exercises.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    body rock tv is allllll you need. google it. you will be amazed.
  • Dander
    Dander Posts: 26
    Options
    Get a skipping rope - they don't cost much and provide an excellent workout. Try 20 seconds as fast as you can, 10 seconds slow for 4 mins. It's called Tabata method - burns fat faster.