Uses for Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    So would you guys recommend eating just a tiny bit at first then adding more into foods? Aldo where do you buy it at?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sounds way too fatty to eat! I have used it in place of lotion though :D they say its great for the skin and hair as well
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's extremely healthy and you can't compare it to other fats.
    Funny how it was demonized for it's saturated fat content but yet the only place to buy it for a long time was at health food store.
    The sat-fats actually help stimulate our thyroid and metabolism.

I use 1 Tbsp everyday, usually on top of my toasted turkey sandwich or my turkey-bacon grilled cheese(yum!)

I don't use any other oil or butter, just coconut oil.
    Like someone said, virgin-expeller pressed is the way to go.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Where does everyone store theirs? I guess my home is too warm, cause mine is liquid, but I prefer it solid. Should I/is it okay to be putting it in the fridge?
  • ShawnaMama
    ShawnaMama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in lieu of vegetable oil all the time, especially in baked goods. I buy mine at a local health food store. It's all natural and raw.

Sounds way too fatty to eat! I have used it in place of lotion though :D they say its great for the skin and hair as well
    Yes, me too! My children are also allergic to sunscreen so we use coconut oil instead. You have to reapply it more often, but it works wonderfully!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Totally off subject, but I have mama friends that swear by it as a diaper rash cream for babies. I personally haven't used it on my daughter... but it's safe for cloth diapers!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    In other news, it's great for the skin and hair (to rub it on, not necessarily by eating it......) !!

That is sort of the direction I was hoping this thread would go.

:bigsmile:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    In other news, it's great for the skin and hair (to rub it on, not necessarily by eating it......) !!

That is sort of the direction I was hoping this thread would go.

:bigsmile:

That's sorta the post I was expecting from you, Fork! ;)

On a serious note though, I've heard nothing but good things about it as well. Been meaning to pick some up to try it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, coconut oil is loaded with saturated fat, not really a good oil type for everyday use.

No reason to worry about saturated fat in it.

I use it to pan fry, saute, firm up homemade mayonnaise, grease meatloaf pans, in homemade spreads, drizzled over veggies, eat out of the jar, brush on meats,. I use it everyday.

Refined coconut oil has no flavor if the coconut flavor bothers you.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I use it to fry my eggs in every morning, pretty much in place of any oil. wouldn't eat it straight out of the jar though. I don't eat stuff that doesn't taste good, it's against my religion :) I use the refined, because that's all that wal-mart has, but would love to look for the virgin stuff, guess i'll have to find a health food store, maybe they'll have it. and yep, been losing all kinds of weight using it. not that that's the reason i'm losing, just that it doesn't hinder it :)
  • MissKim
    Options
    oh, and i found it in walmart by the other grease and oils. it was difficult to find, but it's there. louanna's or something like that.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've used coconut oil for years. I make a frothy coffee morning treat with it. I put my morning coffee in a blender with a tablespoon of Nutriva coconut oil and a tablespoon of organic cream, then blend gently (and don't let the steam build up or you'll be cleaning up a creamy coconut coffee mess). Very yum of you like the taste of coconut oil that way.

I also keep a jar of the Nutriva and a measuring spoon in the car so if I'm running on a long trip and I can scoop up and lick it - tastes sweet, licks smooth! That will work until the air temps get hot for summer. Ideally I'd just have pemmican, but it means I have to have created a batch, so a scoop of Nutriva when I'm in a hurry works very nicely. BUT.... I absolutely HATE the taste of coconut oil with eggs. OMG retch!!! ugh ugh ugh puke! Thai curry on the other hand... yum!

BTW, yesterday my doc went over my blood results and said my cholesterol levels are fantastic. Morning blood sugar is 91.

YMMV I recognize that we aren't all the same (we aren't even always the same) and there is room enough for many approaches. Diet Dogma isn't about nutrition, it's about something else. Someone on MFP posted this fascinating video (thanks!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo Might be the insulin resistant folks that do well with this low carb/higher fat method?
  • MissKim
    Options
    loved the video aurelina
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • MissKim
    Options
    it's a long lecture :) but def worth it. i listened to it while i worked :)
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can find coconut oil at health food stores.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Aurelina, did you try a refined oil for frying eggs? No coconut taste on the eggs. Thai curry, coconut flavor is a must.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Extra Virgin Organic Nutriva Coconut Oil on Amazon.com. Two 15oz tubs for $13 & free shipping! The seller was "Direct Super Center" - can't wait to get it!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking - great for pan frying, roasting, etc. My boyfriend is severely lactose intolerant so coconut oil is an awesome substitute for cooking with butter. It's also very stable at high heats.