How do you know when to raise your daily calorie goal?

Options
Melk967
Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
I really hope this isn't an over posted topic, but I just joined MFP a few days ago. My daily goal for calories (without exercise) is 1200. Problem is, I keep going over! I'm just so hungry. I don't quite understand why other people can eat less than what I eat and be okay, but I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded if I don't eat. I don't have diabetes, and though I do not track it, I do drink a lot of water. Any suggestions? Exercise more so I can eat more? :-P
Thanks so much!!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your goal per week it 2 pounds. Drop it to 1 and see what happens. If you are not at 2/week I would suggest eating more fiber and protein.

I had a quick look at your food diary, if today is typical, you need to eat less highly processed stuff and definitely less sugary sweet stuff. Neither have enough fiber or protein.

Since it looks like your weight loss goal is 20 pounds I would strongly suggest 1 pound per week.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You could set it to lose 1lb or 1 1/2lbs. I have mine to lose one and sometimes I lose more then a lb and sometimes less.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would be patient also. I know the first week I just felt starved. (I think I cut my caloric intake just about in half.) After the first week or so my body adjusted and I wasn't nearly as hungry. I also find that I cant possibly eat as much anymore now that I've adjusted.:happy:
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I took a peek at your food log too and, though it's hard to tell because the journal doesn't let you put specific times on when we eat things, I would suggest that if you are actually eating all of those items at lunch or supper, perhaps you should space them out. Eat something every 2 hours. It actually boosts your metabolism and makes you lose more, as well as allowing you to actually consume fewer calories. That way you don't have to feel the need to be "stuffed" at any meal - remind yourself you get a snack in 2 hours. :)