Confused about calories...

Options
kc_lea
kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
Hey all! I can't wrap my brain around MFP's suggested calorie intake system. As i lose weight, i've been adjusting my goals so that my 'new' bmr is taken into account. But the thing is, I don't think it is?

I've had a suggested intake of 1200 cals since I started MFP (12 lbs ago, and I've lost about 15 lbs overall). Is it unhealthy to override MFP and go for 1100 cals/day? I'm 5'2" and 128, looking to *eventually* get down to around 112-115. I'm not overly concerned about how long it will take although I'd like to get there sometime this year. I eat most/all of my exercise calories, so at 1200 i feel like i'm basically maintaining and not going to lose any more.

Should i go to 1000 or 1100? Or just stick with 1200? My bmr is around 1290 right now.

Thanks!
- Kat

Replies

• kc_lea
    Options
    Hey all! I can't wrap my brain around MFP's suggested calorie intake system. As i lose weight, i've been adjusting my goals so that my 'new' bmr is taken into account. But the thing is, I don't think it is?

I've had a suggested intake of 1200 cals since I started MFP (12 lbs ago, and I've lost about 15 lbs overall). Is it unhealthy to override MFP and go for 1100 cals/day? I'm 5'2" and 128, looking to *eventually* get down to around 112-115. I'm not overly concerned about how long it will take although I'd like to get there sometime this year. I eat most/all of my exercise calories, so at 1200 i feel like i'm basically maintaining and not going to lose any more.

Should i go to 1000 or 1100? Or just stick with 1200? My bmr is around 1290 right now.

Thanks!
    - Kat
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I've heard that health wise you shouldn't go below 1200.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are around 1950 calories at your current weight, height, age (assuming a lightly active lifestyle).

You shouldn't be anything lower then 1450 calories. You're body does not have the fat reserves for anything even resembling a 750 calorie deficit. Even 1450 is a little low IMHO. I would go with 1550 or 1600.

This is, of course, all my opinion. But it's opinion based on well documented data that has been tested and proven to work. So do with it what you will. One thing I will say is, going below 1200 for you, In my opinion, shouldn't even be in the cards.

And remember, eat your exercise calories!

regards, and best wishes.

-Banks
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    yep you need to stay above 1200, it is essential to eat that many so that you can get enough vitamins that are essential to body and brain function!! When you're a small person and have just a few lbs to lose, it may come off very slowly, like 1/4lb/week, but that is the best way to stay safe and healthy and make sure you're getting all essential vitamins and minerals!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say "go read Banks' post on eating your exercise calories" for a discussion on health calorie intake, but he gave you the Reader's Digest version...
  • kc_lea
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are around 1950 calories at your current weight, height, age (assuming a lightly active lifestyle).

You shouldn't be anything lower then 1450 calories. You're body does not have the fat reserves for anything even resembling a 750 calorie deficit. Even 1450 is a little low IMHO. I would go with 1550 or 1600.

This is, of course, all my opinion. But it's opinion based on well documented data that has been tested and proven to work. So do with it what you will. One thing I will say is, going below 1200 for you, In my opinion, shouldn't even be in the cards.

And remember, eat your exercise calories!

regards, and best wishes.

-Banks

Wow - i had no idea. I guess I should start eating a little more... It's strange because I've always used the guided 'goal' option on MFP and 1200 constantly came up. Thanks for the advice!
  • banks1850
    Options

Wow - i had no idea. I guess I should start eating a little more... It's strange because I've always used the guided 'goal' option on MFP and 1200 constantly came up. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, this site isn't smart enough to tell you when you are below what it should recommend. See niz, a 2 lb per week goal is fine if you have a lot of weight to lose, but it's no good for people who are pretty close to normal bmi and body fat %. There are a lot of reasons why, but that's the essentials.

If I have time after my workout, I'll post a bunch of my old posts on this stuff. Otherwise you can search the forums for exercise calories and expectations, or .... oh screw it, here I'll stop being lazy and just post em now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

and, here, this is a post with a couple of good links in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition?hl=newbies+&page=9#posts-137585
  • kc_lea
    Options

Yeah, this site isn't smart enough to tell you when you are below what it should recommend. See niz, a 2 lb per week goal is fine if you have a lot of weight to lose, but it's no good for people who are pretty close to normal bmi and body fat %. There are a lot of reasons why, but that's the essentials.

If I have time after my workout, I'll post a bunch of my old posts on this stuff. Otherwise you can search the forums for exercise calories and expectations, or .... oh screw it, here I'll stop being lazy and just post em now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

and, here, this is a post with a couple of good links in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition?hl=newbies+&page=9#posts-137585

Thanks for the links Banks... glad i decided to check in with MFP today. I'll read these and make a custom goal option. Much appreciated!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thanks for the links Banks... glad i decided to check in with MFP today. I'll read these and make a custom goal option. Much appreciated!!

you don't even need to customize it, just change it and lower the goal amount per week, if you change it to 1 lb per week, then the amount of calories allowed per day will go up. :happy:
  • Joselem
    Joselem Posts: 50
    Options
    I do believe that 1200 calories is not enough to meet your nutritional needs....It is very important to keep the carbs/proteins/fats amount in your diet to maintain optimum health and well-being.

Sounds like your body is in a plateau, and is adjusting to your new weight (usually 4-6 weeks). Be patient and give yourself time... Cutting more calories will only slow down your metabolism... or your body will start catabolizing itself! (burning your own muscle for fuel)

Better to change your exercise routine, shock it by changing your routine up a notch!

See where that takes you! Take Care! Best of luck! JO
  • kc_lea
    Options
    I do believe that 1200 calories is not enough to meet your nutritional needs....It is very important to keep the carbs/proteins/fats amount in your diet to maintain optimum health and well-being.

Sounds like your body is in a plateau, and is adjusting to your new weight (usually 4-6 weeks). Be patient and give yourself time... Cutting more calories will only slow down your metabolism... or your body will start catabolizing itself! (burning your own muscle for fuel)

Better to change your exercise routine, shock it by changing your routine up a notch!

See where that takes you! Take Care! Best of luck! JO

Thanks for the advice Joselem! I'll mix up the workout routine... although I'm so bad at that. I'll see what i can do. Also trying to up my cals a little bit... tack on an extra 200-300 cal snack. I haven't hit a plateau quite yet, just posted because as i was adjusting my goals, I noticed that my BMR would go down, but not my cals per day.

And just to clarify, i do fulfill all my daily requirements in terms of carbs/proteins/fats, and take vitamins daily (multi, a B-complex, iron) - being a vegetarian means i have to be pretty on top of these things if i want to have an active lifestyle. I'm also a very small person with a very slow metabolism... I am lucky in that I can survive off 200 cals every couple hrs while a 400-500 cal meal means i'm uncomfortably full. It's also the reason I gained so much weight once I hit adulthood -- just eating way too much for a person of my size.