I saw the nutritionist today...

Options
She is worried about my new obsession w/food how i measure everything including ketchup, salad. She wants me to stop measuring things like "veggies" as they are considered a free food and no more measure ketchup. She isn't worried about the sodium she said all she wants me to track is calories, fat, carbs, and fiber. So i changed my settings. She said i have been depriving and starving myself. She is shocked at the amount of weight loss in 1 months time "28 pounds" she said it's way too much and unhealthy and probably the reason i developed gall stones losing too much weight too fast. She also wants me to treat myself to "one" treat a week like a small ice cream cone of individually wrapped chocolate or w/e. Also she said i can order whatever i want "out" once a week but to save some and don't eat it all.She also told me to put away the scale and only weigh myself 1-2x a week.

Does this sound about accurate to everyone else?

Replies

• Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I don't think it's bad. Generally there are 30 days in the month and you should lose a pound a day.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Her advice sounds really good.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am guessing she has a bachelors in nutrition....so listen. 28lbs is a lot of weight. I have yo yoed before and generally if it comes off quick, it comes on even quicker!
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would still track sodium... sodium, being a big cause of heart problems and joint issues... you need to keep it down.
  • hydee77
    hydee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All of things she told you seems resonable. How do you feel about what she told you. It might seem scary to stop measuring but as long as it is just the foods she said I'm sure it will be ok seeing they are free foods. Good luck.
  • robbhull
    robbhull Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a smart lady. Keep in mind she is trained in nutrition and maybe you are not. You should take her advice and not eat too little or too much!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The medically accepted healthy weight loss is generally 1-2 pounds per week. Severly obese people do tend to lose more than that, but usually only under strict supervision...
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    She's a nutritionist she didn't go to four years of university for us to doubt her work. She's giving you advice that will be long term, not just another "fad" where you gain it all back eventully. Don't let people who think they know dieting Telll you she's wrong...she's helping yoh do what's best for you
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    Honestly... I think it depends on how much you have to lose and if you're doing it healthfully. If you are eating enough calories, but few enough to lose weight, and getting your nutrition from a variety of foods.... then I don't know how I feel.

The Biggest Loser contestants lose 15 to 20 pounds a week on some weeks. They are doing it healthfully though. I wouldn't recommend any silly fad 500 calorie a day diets or anything... but if you are HEALTHFULLY taking off weight, then I don't know if I'd knock it. Obviously, your nutritionist has much more information than I have, though.

*I don't deprive myself of treats, either. I think they're good to keep the weightloss going, actually. And it keeps you from binging. ;)
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I don't think it's bad. Generally there are 30 days in the month and you should lose a pound a day.

healthy, sustainable weight loss is a maximum of 2 lbs per week! 28 lbs in a month is NOT good!

You nutritionist is giving you good advice.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I just took a look at your food diary and it looks like you have been eating significantly under your daily calorie goal, and actually, nearly a pound a day is extremely fast for weight loss and should only be done under a doctor's close supervision, if at all - otherwise it could lead to severe health problems. Everyone watches The Biggest Loser and sees those astronomical losses, but you need to realize that these people have a team of professionals monitoring them constantly.

I think her advice is on the mark (although I don't think tracking veggies is bad - they are not truly free though they don't count as much - but you are so far from eating the amount of calories you need that they are trivial - I think she is truly concerned about you developing an eating disorder).

Please eat more - remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, so you shouldn't expect to lose it overnight either. If you do it right, you will still reach your goals, and you'll be healthy when you do.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I get where she's coming from. She's wanting you to develop healthy habits that'll become your lifestyle and going at it that hard can be counterproductive in terms of body composition (losing too much lean muscle mass) and in terms of something that's hard to maintain for life.

You'll (generally) want to aim to lose a pound for every 3500 calories you under eat or exercise off. You can do the math on that equation. If you're losing more than that, then it's a strong sign that you may be losing lean muscle mass which is problematic in terms of making you "fatter" even if you are getting lighter, and in terms of being unable to eat a decent amount of calories once you are at your goal weight.

I work very hard with my clients to ensure they keep or gain lean muscle mass so they won't be forced to eat at a very low calorie level for the rest of their lives in order to maintain the new weight due to their having lost so much lean muscle mass. I want them to be at a healthy weight for life AND to be able to enjoy life, including the little celebrations and a reasonable quantity of food, for the rest of their lives.

I hope that helps you at least a little. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me.

Good luck!! :drinker:
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Uh, say what? A pound to two a WEEK maybe, but a pound per day is some scary stuff!

I think your nutritionist's advice sounds good, although I would try to track sodium, both for your health and to help keep water weight down as well.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I checked your ticker and saw you have quite a bit to lose before your reach your goal. I understand why your nutritionist is worried. 28 lbs a month is a lot, your body could probably handle rapid weight loss for a short time based on your amount to lose, but you need to slow it down. Losing it slowly helps your body adjust better to the 'new you' , helps ensure the weight stays gone and keeps your skin from sagging too much. She probably knows more about what you specfically need (as we are all different). Keep working with her and with us and you will do fine.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

NOT true. At all.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I agree do what the nutritionist says they only recommend the most at 2 pds a week so you lost 14 weeks worth of weight in 4 weeks
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

A pound a day?? I wish :)
    I think it's a pound or 2 a week, and there are only 4 weeks in a month..so average would be 4 - 8 pounds in a month.
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A healthy rate for losing weight the maintainable way is 1-2lbs/wk. The only people that try to get you to think you can lose more are fad diets that don't work in the long run. You didn't put the weight on the weight overnight and it's not going to come on that fast either.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser contestants lose 15 to 20 pounds a week on some weeks. They are doing it healthfully though. I wouldn't recommend any silly fad 500 calorie a day diets or anything... but if you are HEALTHFULLY taking off weight, then I don't know if I'd knock it. Obviously, your nutritionist has much more information than I have, though.

Yes, and the Biggest Loser contestants have a team with doctors and professional nutritionists and coaches watching them and monitoring their health constantly - trying to do the same alone is crazy, just like when kids jump off the roof because they saw a professional stuntman do it on tv.
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I thought two pounds a week was the good and healthy way. Just saying...