Sssssunburn!!

Options
redhead91
redhead91 Posts: 251
I am redhead (couldya tell?) who burns super easy. I walked to work yesterday, and I work less than 15 minutes away, and my face burned! The absolute saddest part is..... I was wear sunscreen!! It was only SPF 30 but stil! I guess it's officially that time of year where I'm gonna have to go up to SPF 80 every day if I still want a nose in 10 years. I'm only 19 and I've already had to have skin cancer burned off me :( So lame! Honestly, I'm just ranting and I know doctors recommend that everyone wear sunscreen every single day but I'd like to forget just once without regret. Also, I'd like to not have to worry about my scalp burning even when it's cloudy out and I'm only out for 10 minutes or breaking out in hives on top of a bad sunburn. Anyways, thanks for listening. I'm gonna go rub aloe on my forehead.

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem (scalp burn). But my father died of melanoma that spread to his brain...so even though I love being out in the sun I have to be careful, I always wear sunscreen even when it's cloudy out...I wear like spf 50 and still burn sometimes ;(

I bought this hair product Scalp Shield that helps a little (you spray it on like hairspray)...but I usually just have to wear a hat or visor and get hat head.

Aloe helps...so does a cool wet washcloth. Feel better!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have it good or not, over here (Australia) the highest SPF rating we can get is 30 (supposedly for "health" reasons).

I remember the old days as a kid putting on SPF 2 oil and going for a bake at the beach. Never got very burnt, however the wife had a bout with nausea vomiting and seeing weird images floating past her eyes !! At least you are not that bad.

Now-days I do go red if I have not been in the sun for a long time (winter is killer), but once I have colour (ausie spelling) it lasts and stops me form burning as much.

The best part is the Alvera :) enjoy.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, i've just gone from my spf25 face cream to spf50 as the sun seems to be getting stronger every day. What really annoys me is the price of suncreams, especially the higher factor facial ones. And i hate that they are thick & gloopy, everything sticks to them and they make you even whiter, stain your clothes etc etc etc i could rant all day. Although i have to say i LOVE my pale skin even though it causes me loads of trouble. I hope the burn is'nt too bad, apparently cold tea is really good for taking out the sting & redness something to do with the tannin in the tea, worth a try :)
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain too redhead. I was a redheaded youngster, (my hair darkened as I got older) and had skin so sensitive I swam in a long sleeve shirt. I burn easily, and get sun stroke easily. I have always been very careful in the sun. A few years ago I also developed skin lupus, which makes me hyper-sensitive to the sun. My last sunburn made my arms go almost scaly, and when it healed all my freckles and pigmentation were gone! I loved my freckles, and miss them terribly. :cry:
  • KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    I wear SPF 50 most days. My left arm is much darker than my right at the moment, thanks to good ol sunshine and driving :explode:
  • KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    I feel your pain, i've just gone from my spf25 face cream to spf50 as the sun seems to be getting stronger every day. What really annoys me is the price of suncreams, especially the higher factor facial ones. And i hate that they are thick & gloopy, everything sticks to them and they make you even whiter, stain your clothes etc etc etc i could rant all day. Although i have to say i LOVE my pale skin even though it causes me loads of trouble. I hope the burn is'nt too bad, apparently cold tea is really good for taking out the sting & redness something to do with the tannin in the tea, worth a try :)

try sunscreen for your face. it's less oily. i use it on my face and arms
  • redhead91
    Options
    Not sure if you have it good or not, over here (Australia) the highest SPF rating we can get is 30 (supposedly for "health" reasons).

I remember the old days as a kid putting on SPF 2 oil and going for a bake at the beach. Never got very burnt, however the wife had a bout with nausea vomiting and seeing weird images floating past her eyes !! At least you are not that bad.

Now-days I do go red if I have not been in the sun for a long time (winter is killer), but once I have colour (ausie spelling) it lasts and stops me form burning as much.

I don't know where you got that I don't get it bad! lol I vomit and and get a high fever and get delirious too when I get bad burns. It's just not at this point yet this summer. That's so weird that you can't get beyond SPF 30.
  • redhead91
    Options
    I feel your pain too redhead. I was a redheaded youngster, (my hair darkened as I got older) and had skin so sensitive I swam in a long sleeve shirt. I burn easily, and get sun stroke easily. I have always been very careful in the sun. A few years ago I also developed skin lupus, which makes me hyper-sensitive to the sun. My last sunburn made my arms go almost scaly, and when it healed all my freckles and pigmentation were gone! I loved my freckles, and miss them terribly. :cry:

Ah I would hate to lose my arm freckles :( I too swim in long sleeves most times. Stupid sun! I didn't know there was a condition called skin lupus :/ My doc just always told me I was "allergic" to the sun.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I wish I could convince my husband that when it's cloudy, you're in even more danger of getting sunburned. I can't count how many times he's gone out to play sports on a cloudy day and come back burned and said to me, when I asked why he didn't wear sunscreen (again), "but it was cloudy out." *sigh*
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

I don't know where you got that I don't get it bad! lol I vomit and and get a high fever and get delirious too when I get bad burns. It's just not at this point yet this summer. That's so weird that you can't get beyond SPF 30.

That delirious, vomiting thing is sun stroke. I've had it very bad a few times. I also get a splitting headache with it. Feels like my head is about to explode.