Flooding

Options
So the Mississippi River is at its highest levels since I think 1927. A levee in Ilinois had to be blown open, 2 miles wide, to relieve some of the water. However that caused it to flood 8,000+acres of farm land. I've never lived near the Mississippi and haven't had to worry about any kind of flodding. Now I live in Louisiana and its all over the news.

Can anyone from the area give me some confidence that this isn't going to flood all the towns along the river? Has anything like this happend recently?

Replies

• nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately from what I understand there hasn't been anything quite this bad since 1927. At least that's what I was reading in the news. :-\
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Huh? :smokin:
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Here where I live in Kentucky near Rough River Lake, the dam is 50 years old and water had never went over the emergency spillway util last week. The water is 4 feet deep running through the spillway righ now but it seems to have leveled off.
  • KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    :indifferent: i'm really worried about this

i feel like i should be out buying extra stuff to have on hand. i'm about an hour away from baton rouge so i dont know if my town would be affected. i'm mostly worried becasue my mom is driving down here from michigan in 2 weeks.