Billings man loses job for stopping store theft

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_24fdaffa-7545-11e0-93a0-001cc4c002e0.html

Cliff Notes...employee instantly reacts, grabs guy running out of store with two stolen laptops, left hanging not knowing if he is going to lose his job...then gets fired.

Personally I think it is BS. I had a guy jump the counter when I worked at Walgreens and grab some Klonopin. When he ran by me, I grabbed him and basically sat on top of him until the cops got there (who sayd being chunky is bad?). The guy deserved to be busted. He grabbed a schedule IV narcotic when we had 3 schedule II narcotics (ms contin, percocet and ritalin) sitting on the counter.

TIL if you are going to shoplift, do ti at Best Buy because no one will touch you.

Replies

• KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    how could he get fired for this?

P.S i love my klonpin lol don't worry i have a script
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think in most stores the policy is for employees not to stop thieves because of their own personal safety.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think in most stores the policy is for employees not to stop thieves because of their own personal safety.

Yes. Paying for injuries to employees and customers and for lawsuits from injured theives costs much more than the merchandise in nearly every case.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I was always told when I worked overnights at wal mart that we were not allowed to confront or try to stop shop lifters.All we could do was go tell one of the 2 overnight mangers who wouldnt do anything unless they saw someone do something.
    Needles to say there was a lot of shop lifting on overnights,which would affect our bonus.It was funny they would tell us we could not do anything about shop lifters but when shrink got to high they would come down on employees