Once Britain's Fattest teen now battling anorexia...

petithamu
petithamu Posts: 582 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
Read this today and it made me sad. From one extreme to another...please guys, do this the healthy way or don't do it at all...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1383049/Malissa-Jones-Britains-fattest-teenager-battling-anorexia.html?ITO=1490

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Wow that's crazy
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    That is so very sad. The photos are heartbreaking.
  • sad
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    OMG! so so sad :(
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    That's so sad, especially how she lost her little boy due to being malnourished. :(
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    That's very interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • Yea, it is really sad. That also happened to Britain's fattest woman, she got a gastric band then became anorexic and then she died. It really is so sad, the pressure one faces to conform to the only acceptable female ideal!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    So sad. I understand why many people choose surgery for weight loss...I just wish the medical field did more to help a person psychologically. I know that for me food is a crutch and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Slowly its becoming a healthier relationship, but when it happens that fast, I wonder how a person like me handles it.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    That is sad, those pictures are awful :(
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    I agree that it is sad and horrible. And I totally had to look up how many pounds a stone is (14).
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    That's terribly sad. I can't judge her though... I don't know how I'd feel/act in her situation. Staying sane despite it all is a full time job, for sure.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    wow- this is really sad. I remember reading about her when she was really heavy.

I thing gastic bypass is irreversible too.

If you think about it though, extremes of overeating and undereating are both driven by disgust, obsession of food and denial- I can see that if she had an overeating disorder which was never dealt with properly she would be suscepitble to the other extreme, anorexia.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    AWFUL:angry:
  • jkgeiger
    jkgeiger Posts: 14
    That is awful. I feel so sad for her...
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    Absolutely heartbreaking.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Actually, unless you calculate from the extreme top end of her healthy weight range, she isn't suffering from anorexia--just a restrictive-type eating disorder. If she continues losing she will be anorexic, but at 8 stone, she isn't.

I think what's most sad of all are some of the comments on the story. A lot of them are so ignorant. Like this one:

"Isn't it IRONIC that when she was obese, she never Died and certainly wasn't dying. Now after going on a diet and a permanent one, she is dying!!! Diets and Exercise kill, being fat or obese DOES NOT KILL. If it did the poor girl would have been dead along time ago! Fat is the most important nutrient for our survival. Without fat people would not be able to conceive a baby. Fat is vital for life and our survival. To try and decrease fat kills. Best wishes to this poor girl."

I don't even have words. Just O_O
  • petithamu
    yeah, sorry guys to post this but I just really wanted to stress that it's so worth it to do it the healthy way. I want a quick fix, too but stories as such reminds me why i am working so hard for it because it should be hard and it should be a journey. I really feel for her...sigh...
  • petithamu
    Actually, unless you calculate from the extreme top end of her healthy weight range, she isn't suffering from anorexia--just a restrictive-type eating disorder. If she continues losing she will be anorexic, but at 8 stone, she isn't.

I think what's most sad of all are some of the comments on the story. A lot of them are so ignorant. Like this one:

"Isn't it IRONIC that when she was obese, she never Died and certainly wasn't dying. Now after going on a diet and a permanent one, she is dying!!! Diets and Exercise kill, being fat or obese DOES NOT KILL. If it did the poor girl would have been dead along time ago! Fat is the most important nutrient for our survival. Without fat people would not be able to conceive a baby. Fat is vital for life and our survival. To try and decrease fat kills. Best wishes to this poor girl."

I don't even have words. Just O_O

Wow, didn't read that on the comment part at all! I'm with you there...
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    that breaks my heart a little....
  • spunkbeer
    spunkbeer Posts: 60
    i know what it feels like sorta..
    i used to have Binge eating disorder and was extremely fat and couldnt control my eating and then one day cracked and now i suffer from ED-NOS.
    Some people just have no inbetween, im either starving myself or eating 3x the normal daily intake of food for a girl.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    This is very sad. :(
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    very sad in deed!
  • well i sure hope that they can convince her to see a phsycologist and get to the root of problem for her.
    She swapped one extreme for the other and i'm sure that both are for the same reason. poor girl.
  • SweetLe
    SweetLe Posts: 157 Member
    *gasp* This story is heartbreaking!
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    This really breaks my heart..... although very difficult to read, thank you for posting this. It may just reach out to someone who is having a difficult time right now.
This discussion has been closed.