Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

20-30lbs by the end of May?

Hey all! I was wondering how many of you think it's possible to lose that much before the end of May? I have over 120lbs to lose and I know the bigger you are, the fast you lose sometimes.

Also, could someone suggest how much I'd have to work out in order to achieve my goal?

Right now I eat between 1300-1500 calories a day and I work out usually 40 minutes a day!

Thanks! :):)

Replies

• By the end of may is kind of crazy and unhealthy.

2 lbs a week is a healthy weight to lose.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    By the end of THIS May? That's awfully quick to lose that much - and not necessarily healthy either. I started off a year ago needing to lose 82 pounds. One year later, I'm down 40. Granted, I know my progress has been painfully slow compared to others.... But I think any more than 8-10 pounds/month is extreme.

I like losing at a slower pace - mainly because that gives my skin time to readjust to my new smaller self. Plus, it's not a crash diet... It's a lifestyle change. And I want to be able to maintain this lifestyle... Not hurry up and lose it all, only to go back to my regular eating which would only hurry up and put it all back on again.

Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    The only results Ive seen that have had a loss like that in under a month would be gasterical bypass (sp). Even then, I dont think my friend had a 20-30 pound loss in a month. She lost about 150 in a year, which is a little more than ten pounds a month. Keep in mind, she ate about a few tablespoons of food every couple hours. Id say shoot for 10-15, thats more healthy.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    20 possibly but must be done with 110% committment from you.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    My goal is 14lbs by the end of May... and I don't think that is going to happen! I think 20-30lbs is a lot.. but its not impossible; just not healthy.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Sounds like a little much. You want to make sure you're losing it the healthy way- otherwise you'll risk gaining it right back when you're done...and messing with your metabolism along the way.

Aim for 10 lbs would be my advice :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    With the amount you have to lose 3lbs/week should be a reasonable amount, so with 4 weeks left in May I would not go for anymore than 12lbs. MFP suggests 2lbs/week as a safe amount which would be 8 lbs. so even at your weight I don't think 20-30 is reasonable, that would be 5-8 lbs/week, not safe if you are not constantly monitored by doctors and nutritionists.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    You'd have to burn 105,000 calories in order to lose 30 pounds by the end of May. It's a little unrealistic, unfortunately. I'd say you could safely and healthily lose about 10 pounds.
  • luv2ash
    The only results Ive seen that have had a loss like that in under a month would be gasterical bypass (sp). Even then, I dont think my friend has a 20-30 pound loss in a month. She lost about 150 in a year, which is a little more than ten pounds a month. Id say shoot for 10-15. You dont want to get discouraged.

I lost 19 my first 2 weeks and 40 in 2 months, yes, it has slowed down after that but with the right program, changing your habits, changing your view on food and proper exercise and guidance it is possible to lose up to 20 in a month.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    That would be very hard, if you do achieve that big of a loss in one month, that weight will be so easy to gain back and you probably won't even see the results you were looking for. Slow and steady loss helps your body adapt. Losing weight too fast will result in loose skin.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    If you have whole lot of weight to lose, I guess it could happen. But, I would NOT suggest setting that goal for yourself. It's too far-fetched, and if you don't make it, you will probably feel unmotivated and upset/disappointed. I would set a 2 lb per week goal if I were you. 8 lbs is a lot in one month, heck it's a lot period. Good luck!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Too quick to lose that weight. Setting a more realistic goal will make it much easier to follow. MFP will most likely assign you about 1200 calories per pay.

I have been doing 1200 calories per day and working out on average 5 days per week for nearly 1.25 hours each time for over 4 months now and I have only lost 30 lbs. (I shouldnt say only) but I thought the weight would fall over easier than it has.

Good luck to you
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    shoot... I want to lose 50 pounds in a year... so I'm thinking 30 is a little too much in a month...
  • SeasideOasis
    The only results Ive seen that have had a loss like that in under a month would be gasterical bypass (sp). Even then, I dont think my friend has a 20-30 pound loss in a month. She lost about 150 in a year, which is a little more than ten pounds a month. Id say shoot for 10-15. You dont want to get discouraged.

I lost 19 my first 2 weeks and 40 in 2 months, yes, it has slowed down after that but with the right program, changing your habits, changing your view on food and proper exercise and guidance it is possible to lose up to 20 in a month.

I wasn't saying you couldnt, I was simply giving the basic result line for the surgery. This person isnt even having the surgery, so their chance at a 20-30 pound loss are pretty much slim to none in the honesty department.

I'm not saying its impossible to lose 20, I was just saying that with out the surgery, I dont see it being realistic. I mean, if you are working out, you can also gain muscle, which will weigh more. Even with dedication, 20-30 in one month is not a healthy decision without a doctor holding you hand.
  • Treed79
    Treed79 Posts: 28 Member
    I think it's possible. Not sure how healthy it would be. Is it just this month or do you want to do it every month? I don't think it's something you should make a pattern of. 1 time shouldn't hurt. :smile:
  • luv2ash

I DID NOT HAVE ANY SURGERY :)

I wasn't saying you couldnt, I was simply giving the basic result line for the surgery. This person isnt even having the surgery, so their chance at a 20-30 pound loss are pretty much slim to none in the honesty department.

I'm not saying its impossible to lose 20, I was just saying that with out the surgery, I dont see it being realistic. I mean, if you are working out, you can also gain muscle, which will weigh more. Even with dedication, 20-30 in one month is not a healthy decision without a doctor holding you hand.
  • luv2ash
    sorry I screwed up on the above quoting---some day I'll figure these message boards out.

Just wanted to say I did not have any kind of weight loss surgery :)
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    What everyone else is saying is true.
    But if you're still committed, you're looking at 4 hours of moderate to intense exercise each day, not necessarily all at once. That's the equivalent of biking 60 miles for me -- not something I can do every day or even every week.
    That's not a pace very many people can sustain, due to work scheduling and other limitations.

I think you could lose 12-15 pounds, if you do it right. The first week of a new plan can cause the loss of extra water (which is still good), so you could show 5-8 pounds lost in the first week.

Thereafter, you should see about 2 pounds per week on average, slightly more if you are heavier and have a ways to go.

Your workouts should focus on burning all the energy out of your muscles so that your body is forced to burn fat to replace them. Eliminate refined carbs and sugars, and greatly reduce your intake of all but the most necessary fats (including fatty meats). This should enable your body to burn more of the fat you have stored. That's the key.
  • SeasideOasis
    sorry I screwed up on the above quoting---some day I'll figure these message boards out.

I give you credit for finding the secret to weight loss. I havent seen those types of results from some of my most dedicated friends. Good luck with maintenance mode.
  • luv2ash

I give you credit for finding the secret to weight loss. I havent seen those types of results from some of my most dedicated friends. Good luck with maintenance mode.

Thanks...I'm I have 20 more to go before I hit transition and then maintenance. Even my family has gotten healthier.