Fashion Help needed

Options
I showed off my idiot side yesterday afternoon, and went through the closet trying on old dresses (I need two nice things to wear for Co Springs in two weeks, and I don't have a lot of selection). First off, I hate shopping, so the latest thing in there was at least 2 years old. Hardly anything fit (too small :sad: ) and most of it looked a little dated.

I am going to lose inches. I am going to go down in size. I am sure of this. I don't usually need nice clothes, and I won't wear them unless necessary. So my question is: do I wear the two outfits that fit, one looks ok, the other looks dated, both look fine on me OR do I go buy something for one occasion only to get rid of it once "extra" me is gone?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I showed off my idiot side yesterday afternoon, and went through the closet trying on old dresses (I need two nice things to wear for Co Springs in two weeks, and I don't have a lot of selection). First off, I hate shopping, so the latest thing in there was at least 2 years old. Hardly anything fit (too small :sad: ) and most of it looked a little dated.

I am going to lose inches. I am going to go down in size. I am sure of this. I don't usually need nice clothes, and I won't wear them unless necessary. So my question is: do I wear the two outfits that fit, one looks ok, the other looks dated, both look fine on me OR do I go buy something for one occasion only to get rid of it once "extra" me is gone?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one...I have the tendency to get a cute outfit whenever possible--and I HATE shopping! Especially for clothes. But I've found that when I'm wearing something nice that fits at that time and looks cute, I feel a lot better about myself! And I honestly have no trouble getting rid of clothes that are "Too Big" even if I hadn't owned them for long. So, it's kind of a personal thing. But, whatever you will feel more comfortable in! Feeling good about yourself is a priceless thing! Sometimes you just need to pamper yourself a little to get there!:bigsmile:

*kistinbee*
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Mary,

The best choice is to buy something "classic" that wont ever look dated. Also something with simple lines that can be taken in after you've lost weight. You save lots of money this way.

I work in an industry and location where I have to dress up often for work. I have spent a fortune on suits. Luckily, most are able to be altered and even though its going to cost quite a bit to have them taken in ( way better than having them let out - :tongue: ) it will be alot cheaper than buying new.

I have some suits/dresses than are close to ten years old that still work because they aren't trendy - they look as in style today as they did ten years ago ( thanks to my mom for that tip). I buy some current pieces, but spend less money on those as they wont last as long.

Good luck and try to have fun shopping!!!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi marywilldiet...you sounded kinda blase' about your existing dresses that fit so I vote for a new outfit.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm *only* a guy, but I say get a new one. Consider it a little reward for getting to where your going with your goals. You deserve to feel as nice as you can feel. :smile:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I've had the same preicament. What I usually do is go somewhere like Ross, Marshalls, or TJ Max that can tend to have great, LOW prices and quite a big selection. Sometimes it's hit and miss but it beats spending a small fortune on something that you know you're not going to be wearing long. Actually, I have to do this tomorrow so that I have something to wear to a Christmas party tomorrow evening. Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Well, I'm *only* a guy, but I say get a new one. Consider it a little reward for getting to where your going with your goals. You deserve to feel as nice as you can feel. :smile:

Doesn't make your opinion invalid, Razboo - it's good to have both.

Thanks everyone. I'll try it. But if I come back crying, you'll be sure to hear about it. :wink:
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Why don't you go ahead and get a new outfit which may give you an extra boost and decide that once it doesn't fit you'll donate it to the Goodwill or some other charity like a domestic violence shelther so someone else can enjoy it. That way, everyone wins :flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Do you mind where you get them? Because there are places people recycle clothes that don't fit them but still look nice. I found a beautiful sweater at one such place for $7 and it came from Talbots which is a nice clothing magazine. You definately have to be picky but you wouldn't have to spend a fortune on clothes you might not be wearing long since you are losing weight. Just a thought.~Karen
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    I agree with Kristie, TJ Maxx et al would allow you to pick out a couple nice outfits without spending a fortune on something that isn't going to fit you in the future. But, either way, I think its definitely worth it to buy a nice outfit that fits you and doesn't look like its a blast from the past :laugh: That way you feel comfortable in something that fits you but also is very flattering and a confidence booster.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about all the stuff I have given away. I used to give my clothes to my sister - in-law, but they dont fit her anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or think it would be a good idea to set up some kind of clothing exchange for MFP members. I would feel really good knowing that my stuff went to others in the group.

I have noticed posts about people giving away clothes that have only been worn a few times because they have gotten smaller. I have lots of stuff like that. They could even be passed on again when the person who received them lost weight.

I just went and bought three pairs of "temporary" pants because Im going on a trip in 3 weeks ( yay!) and I literally have two pairs of pants that kind of fit me right now. The new ones should only last me a month or so - till Im down another size. Its a shame that everyone is having to spend money on short term clothes while they are going down in size.

I just dont know how to work out shipping the clothes ( maybe the person receiving the items pays for the shipping?), or accounting for personal taste( post a photo somehow) and what if they dont fit ( could put them back in the pool?).

Any thoughts?
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I was thinking about all the stuff I have given away. I used to give my clothes to my sister - in-law, but they dont fit her anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or think it would be a good idea to set up some kind of clothing exchange for MFP members. I would feel really good knowing that my stuff went to others in the group.

I have noticed posts about people giving away clothes that have only been worn a few times because they have gotten smaller. I have lots of stuff like that. They could even be passed on again when the person who received them lost weight.

I just went and bought three pairs of "temporary" pants because Im going on a trip in 3 weeks ( yay!) and I literally have two pairs of pants that kind of fit me right now. The new ones should only last me a month or so - till Im down another size. Its a shame that everyone is having to spend money on short term clothes while they are going down in size.

I just dont know how to work out shipping the clothes ( maybe the person receiving the items pays for the shipping?), or accounting for personal taste( post a photo somehow) and what if they dont fit ( could put them back in the pool?).

Any thoughts?

While I think it's a great idea, I think anyone that can afford the computer and internet connection, can probably get new clothes. Donating the dressy things to a woman's group (shelter, etc), might be a good use of them. I know there is a program here that helps abused women find professional jobs and they need "work" clothes.

I think if we ever get blog stuff from Mike, this could work or if we had a classified message board, but until then, I think it wouldn't run smoothly.

I did get an outfit yesterday. Bought a skirt and a top. Already had a size 6 jacket. Not that I usually wear a size 6, in fact I probably bought it because it was a 6. Anyway, I found that I have a size 8 top, size 8 or 6 waist, size 10 hips, and size 12 thighs. Can you say pear? Oh, and probably size 14 calves - have yet to find a pair of nice boots I can wear - and I live in Texas!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I say get yourself something new. Treat yourself!
    It's the season of giving so how about donating your new threads once it fits big on you?
    Just a thought:flowerforyou:

~Joanna
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, just wanted to say that I followed my own advice yesterday and went to Ross to pick up something that actually FITS me to wear to a Christmas party. I've gone down a total of two sizes so far and I actually ENJOYED shopping and trying the clothes on! It's been a long time since I have liked picking out stuff! Now, I know I'm far from in shape, but I actually felt pretty and skinny (well, skinnier than I was three months ago!) once I got my hair, makeup, and dressing done! It was such a good feeling! I got great deals and didn't feel guilty buying something that I'm only going to be able to wear for a couple of months! I think everyone should have at least one pair of jeans that just fits right. Go out and get something pretty for yourself!!!
  • tflavin3
    Options
    life is short - buy new clothes!!!