fact or crap?

Options
So it says you get a full serving of fruits and vegs with each serving of V8 splash... fact or crap?

I have a hard time (hardly able to do it at all) getting my veg and fruits. I was wondering if this can solve the problem by drinking v8's ?

Replies

• Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    So it says you get a full serving of fruits and vegs with each serving of V8 splash... fact or crap?

I have a hard time (hardly able to do it at all) getting my veg and fruits. I was wondering if this can solve the problem by drinking v8's ?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how you define "full serving" - because there are other things added to V-8 (like alotta sodium - yikers!) and you don't get the benefit of fiber and chewing (I love to chew!) as you would with whole, raw fruits/veggies. You might get a full serving of vitamin C, etc.

I personally don't like any kind of V-8's - I stick with drinking water and eatting my fruits and veggies (I know it can be hard some times to incorporate them, but now if I don't have raw fruit/veggies everyday, I feel icky! MUST have fruit!)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    read the label carefully. I have the same problem and went for the v8 fusion. it does have veggies (mostly tomato and carrots) but it also has sugar, sodium and no fiber. when you eat a pear it has 5 grams of fiber...pear juice 0

The one thing I learned was to include all of the veggies and fruits in my day. I wasnt counting the tomato sauce on my spag, the onions/let/tom on my sandwhich, etc

also I now buy the precut ready to eat apples, carrots, broccoli and mixed fruits. i find i will eat a few pieces throughout the day and it all adds up.

good luck!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    What MollyK said.

One of the many good things I brought with me from WeightWatchers was if you want fruit/veggies eat 'em. That way you get the fiber.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I love V8's, they are a good addition. As long as they aren't your only source of veggies. For instance, I have a V8 with lunch and it tops off some of my vitamin counts. V8 DOES have fiber, not as much as whole food, but it does have it. Remember, what we are looking for here is dietary fiber, not cellulose fiber (the indigestible stuff). I usually go with the low sodium 11 oz V8 cans, they aren't as tasty but they are low enough in sodium to be a good tradeoff.

here is a link to the nutrtional info on a low sodium V8 (8 oz)

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/84094.html
  • MFS27
    Options
    I love V8's, they are a good addition. As long as they aren't your only source of veggies. For instance, I have a V8 with lunch and it tops off some of my vitamin counts. V8 DOES have fiber, not as much as whole food, but it does have it. Remember, what we are looking for here is dietary fiber, not cellulose fiber (the indigestible stuff). I usually go with the low sodium 11 oz V8 cans, they aren't as tasty but they are low enough in sodium to be a good tradeoff.

Banks - I thought we also want to have enough indigestible fiber since that helps "move" things out, keeps you feeling full and reduces fat absorbption....or am I wrong???
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I loosely follow the SOUTH BEACH diet......which means my breakfast consists of:

-2 strips of turkey bacon
    -1cup of LOW SODIUM V8
    -2 egg whites

if you do decide to drink it try do get the low sodium one, I have also tried the Presidents Choice Blue line 8 veggie juice and I find it taste healthier then the V8!!:drinker:
  • sbased
    sbased Posts: 14
    Options
    I was wondering about those too and the sodium is always such an issue. There's also those Go Greens that you put in your water but that's doesn't look good at all so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on that? Thanks
  • banks1850
    Options

Banks - I thought we also want to have enough indigestible fiber since that helps "move" things out, keeps you feeling full and reduces fat absorbption....or am I wrong???

Well, insoluble fiber is good because it keeps your stomach ph in balance, it doesn't really do anything to fat that I know of, It also kind of (try NOT to picture this to vividly) acts like a scraper for your bowels and keeps them clean and moving. The SOLUBLE fiber is the one that helps bind to fatty acids (the kind that IS in V8).
    In other words, both are good, which is why I started it off by saying it's a good addition. See I'm sneaky like that. Just when you think I'm wrong, I jump out of the bushes and snap the towel right on your butt!! LOL! :devil: :devil: :devil: :tongue:
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I loosely follow the SOUTH BEACH diet......which means my breakfast consists of:

-2 strips of turkey bacon
    -1cup of LOW SODIUM V8
    -2 egg whites

if you do decide to drink it try do get the low sodium one, I have also tried the Presidents Choice Blue line 8 veggie juice and I find it taste healthier then the V8!!:drinker:

Hey! Another Turkey bacon lover!
    Turkey bacon was under assault on another thead and I was the only one defending it!!!!
    (Just kidding - all good fun!)

Doesn't V8 have HFCS? That stuff is nasty...
  • banks1850
    Options
    It's a good question, I don't think so, I couldn't find it anywhere in the ingredients. I'm still checking though.

Now I wish I saved my can from today. Damn it!
  • Erica92627
    Options
    i have a bottle of v8 spalsh tropical blend, would it say it on there if it did? where would I look and would it be labled as HFCS? and what is it? what's it used for etc?
  • banks1850
    Options
    i have a bottle of v8 spalsh tropical blend, would it say it on there if it did? where would I look and would it be labled as HFCS? and what is it? what's it used for etc?

Oh you bet your sweet patootie it would, it would be hidden down the bottom of the ingredients list, as small as they could make it.
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    I think I saw HFCS in V8 Splash, hence the question

Regardless, I would not do for me as a substitude for veggies.
    I need my bulk! :bigsmile:
  • MFS27
    Options

Well, insoluble fiber is good because it keeps your stomach ph in balance, it doesn't really do anything to fat that I know of, It also kind of (try NOT to picture this to vividly) acts like a scraper for your bowels and keeps them clean and moving. The SOLUBLE fiber is the one that helps bind to fatty acids (the kind that IS in V8).
    In other words, both are good, which is why I started it off by saying it's a good addition. See I'm sneaky like that. Just when you think I'm wrong, I jump out of the bushes and snap the towel right on your butt!! LOL! :devil: :devil: :devil: :tongue:

Ohhhhhh snap!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: *jumps and runs out* BTW - thanks for clearing that up - learn something new everyday (scraper......interesting....)
  • Erica92627
    Options

Oh you bet your sweet patootie it would, it would be hidden down the bottom of the ingredients list, as small as they could make it.

unless i missed it.. I could not see it! I'll look again when I have another one. A different flavor.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

Ohhhhhh snap!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: *jumps and runs out* BTW - thanks for clearing that up - learn something new everyday (scraper......interesting....)

Reminds me of the scraper we use in the pit! Oh! I didn't *really * say that, did I? :noway: