Is there ANYTHING on the 5 Guys menu that won't kill me?

Options
My siblings invited me out to lunch ( I was the one invited and that's THEIR choice- I tried suggesting elsewhere- to no avail)

I've only been there a few times in the past- greasy burgers and fries have never much appealed to me.
Is there ANYTHING on the menu that is decent to eat?

Advice please.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    go in there and don't even look at the menu----tell the server you want a piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Remember in order to make a lifetime committment to wellness---going out to eat is no longer about the food, its about the sharing the company of the people you are with :)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    not really. but leave off cheeze, mayo etc....
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    LOL!

The last time the topic of 5 guys came up I was called 'rude' for what I am going to say. I hope that you take it in the spirit that I am intending:

Either don't go or go an enjoy yourself and call it a cheat day.

When its a place like 5 guys there is very little middle ground. They don't have a salad bar, they are a burger and fries joint.

That being said, one day of eating junk out of 7 is negligable unless you're getting blood work done the next morning. LOL!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The diet coke :P
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A hot dog is healthier than their hamburgers!!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would lightly suggest something else or eat before you go and just get a diet soda and a fry.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just checked their nutrition menu online, wow! I can't believe that even the hot dog is so high in calories! I'd say definitely don't touch the fries. Your best bet is probably the Veggie sandwich at 440 calories and 15g of fat. Even a plain burger or grilled cheese has 26g or fat or something insane. You can always steal a fry or two from your siblings if you want a taste.

http://www.fiveguys.net/files/files/NutritionalInfo_2010(1).pdf
  • luv2ash
    Options
    go in there and don't even look at the menu----tell the server you want a piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Remember in order to make a lifetime committment to wellness---going out to eat is no longer about the food, its about the sharing the company of the people you are with :)

Sorry, I just looked at their menu
    there is no place for a "resturant" like this in my life. They don't even have chicken or fish on their menu---Do everyone a favor and suggest another place.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Hahaha. I see you've never been to Five Guys! LOL

The Little Cheeseburger w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard is 550 cals. Not too horrible. And, actually, the fries are only 160 cals. for 1/4 of a regular order (which is a TON of fries.) Go for it. I still eat this meal occasionally, with water, and it hasn't hurt me yet. I do try to work out before I go, though! (Would never feel up to working out after. Haha.)
  • pauljohnsadler
    Options
    I don't believe they hav grilled chicken or steamed veggies....
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    MODERATION!!! Everything in moderation - even burgers :) If it were me, I would get the smallest burger on the menu with veggies and no extra condiments, eat a few fries, and call it a day. It's not a big deal.... if you go and eat 5 burgers then you have a problem - moderation is key. Depriving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Remember that 5 Guys is actually probably better than most burger joints, they use lean fresh never-frozen beef. If you really want to be careful, leave off the bum... or eat only half of the bun *shrug* Don't stress about 1 burger, 1 isn't going to kill you. :0)
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think they have chicken, I had the same dilema last week at work for a going away lunch for a partner at my law firm (couldn't exactly skip that...)

Their menu is online. I ended up getting a mini hamburger and putting on onions, mustard and pickles. It's still pretty terrible for you, but not as terrible?

http://www.fiveguys.net/files/files/NutritionalInfo_2010(1).pdf

Then go to the gym!
  • jessica8960
    jessica8960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just order the burger and only put tomato, lettuce, ketchup on it. I normally do ok with this once in a BLUE moon because I only eat half and then have a side of veggies. Fries have TONSSSSSS of calories in them. Also be careful with those "cheat days" Ive watched people slip into old habits that way. Id say work out extra that day and call it a treat for being so good but obviously dont make it a habit.
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Half a fry and half of a hamburger will do you good. Have a glass of water with it. You could eat the whole burger and no bun and still be in good shape.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Stop by Subway on the way, grab a sandwich and bring it with you. There's no rule that says you have to eat the same food as the people who invited you. While your siblings are clogging their arteries, you can have a much healthier meal. I've never been to Five Guys and while I hear it's good, I don't anticipate going since they have no options for something at least somewhat healthy.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What really cracks me up is that right next door to my gym (which is in a strip mall) is a FIVE GUYS! And yes, I have seen people walk out of the gym and right into the Five Guys and I just shake my head.... haha
  • luv2ash
    Options

Hahaha. I see you've never been to Five Guys! LOL

The Little Cheeseburger w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard is 550 cals. Not too horrible. And, actually, the fries are only 160 cals. for 1/4 of a regular order (which is a TON of fries.) Go for it. I still eat this meal occasionally, with water, and it hasn't hurt me yet. I do try to work out before I go, though! (Would never feel up to working out after. Haha.)

Nope--DOn't do it----this lifestyle is more than just about calories--what about the fat and sodium????
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Are you sure they serve chicken and veggies there? Don't recall seeing that....
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Half a fry and half of a hamburger will do you good. Have a glass of water with it. You could eat the whole burger and no bun and still be in good shape.

OMG, if you can show me the person who can eat 1/2 an order of 5 Guys fries, I'll give you $10. My hubby, at 220 lbs., can usually only eat 1/4 of an order. If you've never been to 5 Guys, an order of fries is literally a HUGE BROWN PAPER BAG FULL!
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    What really cracks me up is that right next door to my gym (which is in a strip mall) is a FIVE GUYS! And yes, I have seen people walk out of the gym and right into the Five Guys and I just shake my head.... haha

LOL Have you BEEN to 5 Guys?? It's worth the extra hour at the gym :laugh: Really expensive though. lol