Low Sodium=Insanity

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
This was on my local news. Similar to the "Twinkie Defense".

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. -- A Michigan man accused of fatally stabbing his mother after she refused to give him money for drugs is expected to claim temporary insanity due to low sodium at his murder trial.

Court-appointed lawyer Timothy Kohler said Tuesday that 38-year-old Charles Foresi experienced brain dysfunction because he suffered from hyponatremia, or a lack of salt in bodily fluids outside the cells.

Kohler says Foresi wasn't being treated properly.

The Macomb Daily reports prosecutors plan to present evidence of Foresi's criminal intent in prior criminal cases to show he was not insane.

Authorities say Foresi stabbed 62-year-old Mattie Foresi Aug. 10 in their Roseville home, and her body was found the next day with 43 stab wounds.

Trial is set for June 21 in Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens.

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This was on my local news. Similar to the "Twinkie Defense".

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. -- A Michigan man accused of fatally stabbing his mother after she refused to give him money for drugs is expected to claim temporary insanity due to low sodium at his murder trial.

Court-appointed lawyer Timothy Kohler said Tuesday that 38-year-old Charles Foresi experienced brain dysfunction because he suffered from hyponatremia, or a lack of salt in bodily fluids outside the cells.

Kohler says Foresi wasn't being treated properly.

The Macomb Daily reports prosecutors plan to present evidence of Foresi's criminal intent in prior criminal cases to show he was not insane.

Authorities say Foresi stabbed 62-year-old Mattie Foresi Aug. 10 in their Roseville home, and her body was found the next day with 43 stab wounds.

Trial is set for June 21 in Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The first post showed up just fine, I don't think you needed to quote yourself.

Low sodium? Really? No. I've been sodium deficient and the worst I did was snap a people. Sodium deficiency doesn't override a conscience or an understanding of the law.
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    Low sodium can cause severe confusion and disorientation. Never seen it cause violence though. I've seen people with sodium around 120 (normally around 140) and they have no idea who they are or where they are. Keep in mind your sodium doesn't get that low due to dehydration...these are sick people in the hospital.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    God... she could have saved her life by offering him a bag of potato chips.