Holiday Calorie Count "Waiver"

jakemg
jakemg Posts: 42
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you give yourself a "holiday waiver" where you don't count calories at all? This past Easter, I knew there would be a lot of good stuff around, and I know that tracking everything I ate would be tough, so I gave myself a day where I didn't track calories at all . I did control my portions at dinner, but I also didn't deny myself a piece of cake at desert, or various little snacks throughout the day. I did my normal AM and PM workouts. I don't necessarily feel bad about giving myself a few days a year to not necessarily "pig out," but to allow myself some leeway.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I don't know that I would say I don't count the holiday calories at all - but I'm definitely not as strict with myself on holidays. It's hard to log on holidays, but I do try and keep my portions within reason. I think being too restrictive with yourself will only lead to failure down the road.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    I do this too.. its really the only way to not drive yourself crazy during holidays... its also a good way to avoid the "YOU DONT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" family comments.

But what I do to counter balance is eat SUPER SUPER clean the 2 weeks before I deny myself all dessert, pop extra carbs etc. I usually lose more wieght this way (unrealistic way to live my life) but for two weeks I lose a few extra pounds and I use those pounds as my buffer... It also motivates me to choose healthier options or not indulge as much because I want to keep that two pound loss.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Yup!! I did if for my birthday and I did it for Easter! No problem giving yourself a day off every once in awhile :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I gave myself a holiday waiver to enjoy all the foods I wanted. Like you, I controlled portions, but I did not deny myself anything. I did log all my food though - and in the end, it was not nearly as bad as I expected. I finished up pretty close to my calorie goal despite everything I ate.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Of course....This is a life change meaning this is the way I want to live for the rest of my life......I don't plan to stop completely doing holidays.....so what if I gain 1 ilb due to hanging out with my family....You just allow yourself a little holiday.
  • pattialling
    pattialling Posts: 19
    I totally did that too. During that holidays I ate a couple of chocolates but at dinner I was cautious and I still lost weight. If we deprive ourselves of these things while we watch our families and friends eat and enjoy their dessert, we will feel like we missed out.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Thats exactly my plan.

It's what you do the other 350 days of the year that are the issue( I estimate there are about 15-20 days for holidays and parties a year).The others are the ones we over eat in comparison to other people, and surprise these are the ones that make you bigger than other people.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    I still log everything but count it as my cheat day. Like another person, I was surprised that my cheat days aren't that bad. After 9 months here, my 'pig out' has gone from half a bag of cookies to 4. My cheat day now looks like my 'normal' day was at my starting weight.

It has suddenly struck me that we go through Hallowe'en, Christmas, Valentines Day and Easter before hitting swim suit season. That is just cruel.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    I gave myself a holiday waiver to enjoy all the foods I wanted. Like you, I controlled portions, but I did not deny myself anything. I did log all my food though - and in the end, it was not nearly as bad as I expected. I finished up pretty close to my calorie goal despite everything I ate.

This is what I did on Easter too... and also ended up close to my goals, except sodium... darn Easter ham.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I still log everything but count it as my cheat day. Like another person, I was surprised that my cheat days aren't that bad. After 9 months here, my 'pig out' has gone from half a bag of cookies to 4. My cheat day now looks like my 'normal' day was at my starting weight.

It has suddenly struck me that we go through Hallowe'en, Christmas, Valentines Day and Easter before hitting swim suit season. That is just cruel.

My last "cheat" day I was shocked to see that I had only gone over my normal calories by a few hundred. And I know the grilled chicken alfredo is what put me over. I ate whatever I wanted that day and when I look back on it now - it doesn't seem that bad really. Funny our bodies change and what we crave changes.
This discussion has been closed.