stupid about carbs

Options
I am already over on my carbs for the day (I already logged what I am having for dinner), but I'm wondering if some of them are good carbs or should I be worried? Ok so obviously I know the rice, tortilla wrap and cereal I had today would be loaded with carbs, but I was rather shocked about my milk, canned peaches and pudding cup having quite a few. I know there is the simple and complex carbs but I really don't understand anything about that....so even though I went over today, was it bad that I went over?????

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am already over on my carbs for the day (I already logged what I am having for dinner), but I'm wondering if some of them are good carbs or should I be worried? Ok so obviously I know the rice, tortilla wrap and cereal I had today would be loaded with carbs, but I was rather shocked about my milk, canned peaches and pudding cup having quite a few. I know there is the simple and complex carbs but I really don't understand anything about that....so even though I went over today, was it bad that I went over?????
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Look at the fiber contents. if your fiber is high, there's a good chance that you're ok. But....if it's all sugar......yea.....:wink:

Either way, you know what to avoid now! At least limit.
    :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Look at the fiber contents. if your fiber is high, there's a good chance that you're ok. But....if it's all sugar......yea.....:wink:

Either way, you know what to avoid now! At least limit.
    :flowerforyou:

Ohhhh, that helps. Darn, so it appears my peaches were quite bad because of the 13 carbs, only 1 gram was fiber, the rest was sugar. Oh well, being better educated on it will help me make better choices in the future. Thanks!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    That depends, simple carbs are carbs that have usually been refined or processed in some way. I.E. white flour is a simple carb, but whole wheat flour generally is not, so if that tortilla and the rice were White rice (which is simple) and a white or corn flour tortilla then you had a lot of bad carbs today. The peaches themselves have carbs but not bad carbs, although I don't know what the liquid they used to can them was, if it was anything but spring water, then that's no good. And pudding, yeah, ahh, generally those aren't good carbs in there. You can go with the Jello sugar free pudding, and that usually is very low in both carbs and calories.

The idea is long molecule chains, when you start processing stuff, it breaks the chains down, and the carbs are easier for your body to turn into fuel, that's bad, because even though your body breaks it down fast, it can't USE all of it, so it stores it as fat .
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    That depends, simple carbs are carbs that have usually been refined or processed in some way. I.E. white flour is a simple carb, but whole wheat flour generally is not, so if that tortilla and the rice were White rice (which is simple) and a white or corn flour tortilla then you had a lot of bad carbs today. The peaches themselves have carbs but not bad carbs, although I don't know what the liquid they used to can them was, if it was anything but spring water, then that's no good. And pudding, yeah, ahh, generally those aren't good carbs in there. You can go with the Jello sugar free pudding, and that usually is very low in both carbs and calories.

The idea is long molecule chains, when you start processing stuff, it breaks the chains down, and the carbs are easier for your body to turn into fuel, that's bad, because even though your body breaks it down fast, it can't USE all of it, so it stores it as fat .

Thanks. I thought I was doing good with the pudding since they are fat free and only 90 calories a cup, but if the carbs are bad then I will look into the sugar free ones. I'm not real sure about the rice....it's Near East Rice pilaf....some of it was white but I am not sure if it was all white.....does yellow have the same bad carbs that white rice does?
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The rice pilaf is a simple carb; however Near East now has a line of whole grain products which are a lot better than the regulars :) You can look at the ingredients on the rice pilaf and see where it says "parboiled long grain rice" whereas the whole grain version says "parboiled long grain brown rice" and easy way to stay on the safe side with carbs is to go with brown rice and brown breads :)

Also "yellow rice" is usually white rice colored by spices such as Saffron :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    The rice pilaf is a simple carb; however Near East now has a line of whole grain products which are a lot better than the regulars :) You can look at the ingredients on the rice pilaf and see where it says "parboiled long grain rice" whereas the whole grain version says "parboiled long grain brown rice" and easy way to stay on the safe side with carbs is to go with brown rice and brown breads :)

Also "yellow rice" is usually white rice colored by spices such as Saffron :)

charlie took the words right off of my keyboard, but absolutely correct. Look for the word whole when shopping for grains. Usually that means it hasn't been fine ground and/or enriched. Watch out for "browns" that are artificially brown, like the fried rice in chinese food, that is brown because of additives.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What type of canned peaches are you eating? Are they in syrup? Even light syrup contains a lot of sugar, because that's what it is--table sugar. Opt for the fresh peach instead. You'll get fiber from the skin, no extra sugar, and none of the nutrients will be leeched into fluid.