A Culinary Student's Conundrums

Options
I am a 21 year old culinary student and i just got a job at a nice restaurant. I am going to have trouble with getting my calories in during the day. I am at school all day and then i work at night. I often eat fast food after work and then go right to bed. I always eat breakfast, and i have snacks for my day at school. You would think that since i'm around food all day that i could make whatever i wanted. But at school I have to make what is one the lesson plan for the day, and it's not always the healthiest. We always use cream, real butter, and all kinds of high fat items.

And at work, i usually don't get a break to eat anything. I really am just controlled by the amount of people come in. It is not unusual for me to not eat for ten hours in a day. Then i will grab fast food. Cause it's easy and i don't have to cook.

Not to mention people are always telling me that you can't trust a skinny chef. And I'm here to tell them that you can!

I would really enjoy any kind of advice anyone has on self-control, and what kinds of snacks you eat during the day.

Replies

• wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    okay first of all you can start looking at what you have for breakfast. make sure it's filling and healthy such as porridge or wholemeal toast. maybe with some egg whites and some fruit. if you can, take a smoothie with you to school. (make it the night before and refridgerate it if you need to) next work out what you can do to make the most of your snacks. again make up sticks of carrots and chopped fruit and refrigerate them. snack on these plus nuts. things like raisins are good too. also, if you don't have time to eat a whole sandwich, prepare one and cut it into half or quarters and you can eat it throughout the day. bananas are another good snack. if you like some sweet things, thats okay but just try and add healthy things too.

after work, if you really dont want to cook then try and stock up on healthier microwave ready meals. weight watchers do good ones. even something like beans on toast is good. and again another smoothie wouldnt go amiss!
    hope this helps a bit?
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    But at school I have to make what is one the lesson plan for the day, and it's not always the healthiest. We always use cream, real butter, and all kinds of high fat items.

And at work, i usually don't get a break to eat anything. I really am just controlled by the amount of people come in. It is not unusual for me to not eat for ten hours in a day. Then i will grab fast food. Cause it's easy and i don't have to cook.

don't be afraid of high fat items. eating fat will not make you fat. i'd rather eat something made with cream or real butter than something precessed to be 'low fat' with additional sugar and preservatives.

a handful of almonds, some string cheese, hard-boiled eggs, etc are some snacks that are quick and easy on the run.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love Wendix's idea with the breakfast. Smoothies are amazing and portable.

Some of my favorite on the run snacks are
    • Peanut butter sandwich (sometimes I just throw the jar and a loaf of bread in my car and take it with me)
    • Portable fruit, apples, grapes, rasins, bananas
    • Portable veggies, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes or cucumber with a small tupperware dish of a dipping sauce.
    • Instant frozen meals like Michelinas, Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers etc. (I have to keep them in a lunch box with a cold pack)
    • String Cheese, Yogurt
    • Instant packs of Oatmeal
    • Hard Boiled Eggs or premade egg or tuna salad sandwiches

<3
  • TheCloverFreak
    TheCloverFreak Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.

For breakfast I often eat oatmeal, eggs, or some whole grain cereal. Thing that I know will keep me full for a while.

Today for snacks, i have an apple (which i just finished eating), a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, and a vitatop muffin.

As for dinner i have no idea whats going to happen.

Smoothies are a good idea. Anyone have any good recipes? I think i can work one into my day somehow.