Restless leg syndrome

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
just wondering if anyone on here has and is on medication for Restless Leg Syndrome. I finally broke down and discussed the problem with my doctor. Got tired of taking hours to get to sleep even when exhausted (more so then), and quite frankly with trying to be more active the sleepless night just ain't working for me.

She is putting me on Mirapex, any one familiar with this , and if so can you give me your experience with it on how well it worked and side effects.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've got 'em....curious about meds........BUMP
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    interested...bump
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I had this issue years ago and it drove me crazy! I never took meds for it and I don't have this problem any more. I hope it goes away for you!!!
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My husband uses that, and has been the best meds he has been given since being diagnosed almost five years ago. He has found that it's best to take it after eating dinner, or he gets an upset stomach.
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I used to have it really bad, and then started taking over the counter iron supplements with vitamin c. NO MORE RLS
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i have restless leg syndrome to theres nights it drives my husband nuts cause my legs are moving soo muchbut what i am finding out on my own is with all the excercise that im doing its been helping it a little. im not on meds for it
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I had med induced restless leg syndrome for years, ( I didn't have it, or least it wasn't bad till taking medication) it was horrible. I never took meds for it, and now I have been off all meds for 5 years, I still have issues with it, but they are minimal. I definitely know that caffeine will exacerbate it for me, and having at least one banana a day helped me a lot. I just learned today that it can be a symptom of gluten intolerance, and since I have been eating gluten free most of this year, it might be why my restless leg syndrome hasn't been an issue for me lately.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to have RLS issues, but then I stopped taking OTC sleep meds like Advil/Tylenol PM. Can't sleep - take it, RLS gets worse, never ending cycle!!! Once I finally made the connection and started taking natural sleep aid, or something that doesn't have the diphenhydramine ingredient, I've been a happy, RLS-Free gal!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    sometimes RLS can be caused by a vitamin imbalance. I use to take calcium, potassium, and magnesium for mine. These are the vitamins the body needs for the nerve endings to fire properly. But since I've been eating right, I rarely have a problem anymore.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I have it but not to the point where it interrupts my sleep. It does drive me nuts in the evenings though. I'm going to try the iron supplements with vitamin C and see if that helps. Thanks BouncinBack for that tip.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    My husband uses that, and has been the best meds he has been given since being diagnosed almost five years ago. He has found that it's best to take it after eating dinner, or he gets an upset stomach.

thanks for that hint. i notice on a web site that nausea seems one of the big side effects
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    sometimes RLS can be caused by a vitamin imbalance. I use to take calcium, potassium, and magnesium for mine. These are the vitamins the body needs for the nerve endings to fire properly. But since I've been eating right, I rarely have a problem anymore.

Making myself a note to get more calcium, potassium and magnesium. Thanks Tammy. And thanks FairyMiss for starting this thread.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have it...Its funny how peopel think this is a made up thing. For example, I was reading "Master you metabolism," and Jillian quotes "Give me a break," regarding this problem...

For me, it happens when I am extremely tired. It hurts so bad I am about to be in tears when an attack comes on. Airplanes are the worst and long car rides. My legs twitch sooo much. I think it may be vitamin deficiency for me. I've been taking Multi's and I've notice less of these "attacks."
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i have tried about everything short of trying something like i am about to, with only minimal relief.
    and anyone who doesnt think its real just has never expierenced it. or slept with someone who has it either.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Omg, she says that!? Wow!

This stuff absolutely can be bad enough to cause pain and tears. It's so frustrating. Can't sit through a movie, or other things. Hard to deal with.

I have wanted a tattoo for a long time on my ankle, but I sometimes I have problems with just my husband filing my feet, my legs will get jerky and what not, so I don't think I could sit through a tattoo.
    I have it...Its funny how peopel think this is a made up thing. For example, I was reading "Master you metabolism," and Jillian quotes "Give me a break," regarding this problem...

For me, it happens when I am extremely tired. It hurts so bad I am about to be in tears when an attack comes on. Airplanes are the worst and long car rides. My legs twitch sooo much. I think it may be vitamin deficiency for me. I've been taking Multi's and I've notice less of these "attacks."
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Omg, she says that!? Wow!

This stuff absolutely can be bad enough to cause pain and tears. It's so frustrating. Can't sit through a movie, or other things. Hard to deal with.

I have wanted a tattoo for a long time on my ankle, but I sometimes I have problems with just my husband filing my feet, my legs will get jerky and what not, so I don't think I could sit through a tattoo.

i sat through getting an orca tattooed on my lower leg, i don't remember having problems sitting for it, though that was 15 years ago. but it may not be a problem because of all the stimulus involved.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a version of it call lag jerks. I've had two sleep studies and they both said the same thing...I kick like a mule in bed! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never have taken the meds they wanted to put me on. The side effects were scarier thatn the illness!

I have a cat that loves to curl up right on top of my legs to sleep. Those night I sleep like a baby...so maybe get a cat?
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I have it, and most of the time if I exercise and stretch really good, I'm better. I also take supplements and Iron/Vitamin C. When I used to suffer from it, I was on medication, but not the one you stated. I used it for a year and then went off of it as I didn't find it that helpful. Airplane and car rides are awful if my legs even ache a little to begin with I know it will be a hard time. I find that if I am really exhausted, its worse. But the supplements really do seem to help.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Lol! Too funny! I have 3 cats and a chihuahua that all lay in bed with us, all over us, doesn't seem to make the feeling go away.
    I have a version of it call lag jerks. I've had two sleep studies and they both said the same thing...I kick like a mule in bed! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never have taken the meds they wanted to put me on. The side effects were scarier thatn the illness!

I have a cat that loves to curl up right on top of my legs to sleep. Those night I sleep like a baby...so maybe get a cat?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have wake up in weird places syndrome.

Doc says its alcohol induced, I think she's making it up.

Seriously though, I didn't know there was such a thing. It seems miserable. I have a terrible problem.sleeping, I have to force myself to stay awake as long as possible, usually around 11:30-12:00, but I wake up at 4:30 and can't go back to sleep. It sux.