...*ladies question only!*...

Options
This probably going to sound like an excuse but it's really not! l am on my period and the problem is with them is that they are quite heavy and l get very cranky and it does get a bit painful at times, l have been to see a doc and they said it is normal and l'm just unlucky.

l have tried exercising, but that makes the problem a lot worse and l have tried eating a light meal before working out. l end up getting dull aches in my stomach and back at the end of it, l've tried yoga but stretching just makes it uncomfortable. Therefore l cannot really exercise to ease anything & l will need to cut down on a lot of calories because of it but is there any other way to kind of *ease* the pain a bit? l really don't want to stop exercising for a week or else l will get discouraged.

Thank you!

Replies

• crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    just walk on a treadmill? it's better than nothing.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    try soaking in a hot tub then excercising. Works for me.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Take long walks. I would bring lots of water and plan a route that takes you past several possible bathrooms.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Midol helps me survive... was also told I'm just unlucky.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! As of a few months ago instead of buying the midol or pamprin what i do is have 2 aspirin and an ibuprofen with some caffeine.... its definitly lessened the pain
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i have always had seriously heavy flow and bad cramps. walking or light aerobics always help and actually it eventually lessons the flow. good luck!
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    i am in the same boat hun x
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, this may not be of interest to you (as it isn't for everyone), but I find that using a menstrual cup really has helped my cramps (they are a lot less using it). I don't know why, but it works (and I have heard the same comment from others). Now I can't use tampons anymore though, because they itch, but the DivaCup is a great thing. :smile:
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and I take Aleve or something like that about a half hour before I work out. Helps with the pain. Plus if you can do a heating pad or one of those sticky heating pads it could help as well.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Down some mydol and take it easy, I wouldn't over do it! But I find that when the monthly strikes, I get cravings like crazy too, but when I workout I feel a 150% better, and my cramps tend to go away. Have u tried it for a period of time? I know when I first start exercising I have mild cramps but then they go away.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a ton of water the week before your period. Mine are debilitating, almost, too! And have you ever tried Midol? It has stuff for pain in it and a diuretic to help with the bloat. Also, for me, ab exercises seem to help a bit.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thermacare heat wraps. And yes, it is a excuse...Throw A heatwrap on you and go take a walk, as someone else said, its better than nothing!!!
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Keep with it exercise usually helps.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

You shouldn't take baths - this can lead to internal bleeding.

Um..what?
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    this is gonna sound awful, but if you've had it checked out by a doctor then sometimes you just have to work through the pain, you could try heat patches to ease it during exercise though
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know you said exercise makes it worse but have you tried just walking for 30 minutes a day? I have some of the same issues and found that even taking my dog for a walk 30 minutes on a regular basis makes me feel somewhat better. I also tend to take midol or pamprin every 6 hours on the bad days and that helps me feel good enough to get myself out to walk.

Also, I don't know your beliefs on birth control but if you are ok with it and are not trying to get pregnant I would talk to your doctor about possibly getting on it. I have been on it for years and it definitely helps to make my TOM lighter, although not much shorter. I also don't have nearly as many cramps. Hope this helps.
  • luvmy2babies
    luvmy2babies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My periods are aweful and I normally DO NOT work out when I am on it. It just hurts too bad. Now that I am fully commited to working out, I will try to do something. Even if its just walking on the treadmill. A little something is better than nothing.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

You shouldn't take baths - this can lead to internal bleeding.

Um..what?

Joke sorry...
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take Magnesium Calcium supplements (AKA Mag Cal) 10 days before it starts and 2 days after. I was one of those girls that used to have to call into work because the cramps got so bad. Now I have no pain AT ALL. It's awesome! My naturopath recommended it to me. The only downside, is that my period lasts for one day more, but I will take it over the pain any day. Good luck to you!
  • westindya
    westindya Posts: 4
    Options
    drink HOT tea as your beverage instead of cold water. it will ease the cramping. also, considering doing weights instead of cardio to keep you active. walking on the treadmill at 2.5 with incline of 2.5/3 will burn calories while feeling leisurely.