New Grandmother-sort of

Options
ronda_gettinghealthy
ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
My Russian Exchange student (who we love like a daughter) who was with us several years ago-is having a baby--None of my birth children have kids yet- so I need a Grandmother name. My own grandmother is Nana and she is still alive so that is taken. I want something fun and cute. Any Ideas????? (her mom will be babushka- or bobo)

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    At 37, I became a grandmother - before I became a mother! (step kids). :laugh: I'm Grandmommy to one set - and G-mama to the youngest. :smile:
  • amylanphierd
    amylanphierd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My kids (4 and 2) call my step mom Granny, I know it sounds old fashioned, but it is so cute when they say it. I have also heard a few Mimi's in recent years.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My son, niece and nephew all call my mom.....Memaw.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My son, niece and nephew all call my mom.....Memaw.

Aw - Memaw. I love that one. My kids call one of their grandmothers Oma, which is German. At one point, my oldest son called his other grandmother Gaga - way beyond gaga just being all he could say. Of course, Lady Gaga was not a factor then. I just thought of that.
  • pixie17857
    pixie17857 Posts: 7
    Options
    My mom is Nanny, I'm Grammy and the other grandmother is Nana. Meme is easy for them to say, but kids usually end up naming you themselves.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My brothers call my grandma

Memaw, its the sounds of Mommy backwards.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine goes by Gigi. They originally thought it up as like a short version of great-grandma (get it, g-g) for her mother but the kid latched on and decided his grandmother would be Gigi.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My grandkids call me Grandma. I know it's old fashioned but I like that. Congratulations. :flowerforyou:
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas- my mom was memaw before she passed- and you are right they name you- my MIL is Dee Dee- her name is carolyn- so where did DeeDee come from?? Who knows-but DeeDee it is (much to her aggravation- because she wanted to be called Grandmother-nothing short or cute)
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My kids call thier grandmas "mamaw" and add their names to it...mamaw necki (wishnevski--no one can say it), mamaw Riley, Mamaw Kathy, etc. We had other ideas, but the kids will call them whatever they think of!~
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats I just posted a similar topic about being a new grandpa. I asked the same question, but I wanted to be Papa Jeff. I like memaw or oma.