Any other Hypothyroid sufferers here?

Options
I'm new to MFP and would love to add friends, especially if you suffer with hypo (a slow) thyroid. I only have one friend in "real" life who has suffered longer than I have and she tends to be negative, so my support system is pretty weak. Since becoming medicated I've regained energy and upped my physical fitness a ton in the last year (Hip hop dance, walking, elliptical, and Zumba being my favorites) but have not lost a single pound. Luckily I enjoy physical fitness, but I also LOVE eating. Time to find that balance and friends who understand the issues associated with thyroid.

Replies

• lordkolakube
    Options
    yup me too! :-)
  • pgldish
    pgldish Posts: 5
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. You can add me.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and would love to add friends, especially if you suffer with hypo (a slow) thyroid. I only have one friend in "real" life who has suffered longer than I have and she tends to be negative, so my support system is pretty weak. Since becoming medicated I've regained energy and upped my physical fitness a ton in the last year (Hip hop dance, walking, elliptical, and Zumba being my favorites) but have not lost a single pound. Luckily I enjoy physical fitness, but I also LOVE eating. Time to find that balance and friends who understand the issues associated with thyroid.

I am! Have been since 2004.
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Its a lot harder for us give having hypothyroidism. We can support each other.
  • myroots
    myroots Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in 1994 (I was in high school). I struggle with weight loss, too, and would love buddies with the same issue.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo for the past 10 years. Feel free to friend me.

I have found that a lower carb diet is best for me but I love to eat pizza so it's a struggle. My TSH, T3 and T4 levels fluxuate so I end up changing doses every 6-8 weeks. I successfully lost 20 pounds about a year ago and have kept that off. Now I am working on losing another 20. I like to keep active, stay positive and try to new things.

Welcome to MFP!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothryroid for about two years. I've lost almost 15 pounds total. But in order to do that, I've given up alcohol and had to drastically alter my diet and exercise daily. It is a constant struggle and just when I feel like I'm ready to quit, I find new motivation.

Good luck to you!!!
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been Hypothyroid for 21 years! I've had my share of ups and downs when it comes to weight loss. But, I find if I stick with a 1200 calorie diet, exercise 5-6 days a week for an hour or bettter, I can lose a pound a week or 1 1/2 verying. It is possible to lose being Hypothyroid, may not come off as fast or alot of pounds at once, but it will come off.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hypo here as well, disgnosed about 6 years ago and take daily meds to moderate it. Feel free to friend me.
  • Ciara1977
    Ciara1977 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I am also new to MFP and suffer from an underactive thyroid.Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My thyroid was totally removed due to cancer in 2002, so I am closely monitored and take replacement therapy daily. Add me if you choose
  • twinsmommaplus1
    twinsmommaplus1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me too! I just had tests done again to reevaluate. I can barely do laundry and then need a nap! We are also doing Adrenal Stress Index. I just want to feel "normal" again...whatever that is... :smile:
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Been living with it for over 15 years, I thought I could not lose much weight. Since joining MFP I have lost over 50 lbs and weight less then i did when i was 30. I still have long way to go but I am sure MFP will help me get there. I find that eating every couple of hours and exercise help a lot.

Feel free to friend me.
  • Megan134
    Megan134 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow! So, overwhelmed with how many of you there are. I've kind of felt alone in this since being diagnosed 3 years ago. I'll be adding friends tonight! I count myself lucky that my weight has plateaued, but look forward to starting to lose with all of you!!!
  • Wonderfilledwoman
    Options
    Taking meds everyday to try to boost my metabolism. Been "adjusting" dosage for about 4 1/2 years now. Since joining MFP the inches seem to fall off...NOT that I'm complaining, mind you! More likely it's my change of attitude and determination to be successful this time!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypo over 10 years ago, and I have been able to lose and keep off (knock wood) 40 lbs. Add me if you like!
  • Kileysmommy32
    Options
    Yep, me too. You can add me. I have been hypo since 2004.
  • debra_R
    debra_R Posts: 1
    Options
    New to site :flowerforyou: I have Hypothyroidism and Celiac. So no wheat or gluten for 10 years. I go to gym 3+ days a week and to lose weight have to have vegetables at the top of my food pyramid. And I have to avoid carbs. Just the gluten free carbs since they are corn and rice based. I have lost weight but it has taken me about a year to lose 18 pound and the last 8 just since February. It's no east feat but I am just going to keep chuggung along. I do feel better but most certainly seem to get tired alot sooner than friends who have normal thyroid function.
  • dysears
    dysears Posts: 6
    Options
    Same here. I was diagnosed 8 years ago and had asked my previous doctor (in 1995) about the weight gain and he did not bother to check my thyroid to see if there was a problem. a doctor in 2003 saw me for the first time adn looked at me and said she wanted to check my thyroid. Come to find out I was hypothyroid. I was upset because I had gain about 50 lbs over the course of 8 years and still have to get those lbs off. It is now regulated but I was so upset with the first doctor for not checking.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!