Shopping Hell: What's Your Nightmare?

Options

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Trying to find stuff in my new size! = )
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think for men it's a bit easier as most clothing companies make all of their clothes using similar measurements. I know for women the sizes can be kind of crazy and one size in brand A fits great the same size in brand B does not. But the one thing I do hate shopping for the most is pants. Just a few years back I fit into size 32 waist pants but have moved up to a size 36. Now that I have lost about 17 pounds I am fitting into 34's and even some 33's. But the reason I hate shopping for pants is because I am tall and I like my pants to be comfortable and not tight at all so either they end up looking really baggy or too tight for comfort.
    I don't know where you're shopping but it's not really any better for men around here, I've got a couple stores where their XL would count as a medium most places. Not that I can fit into XL anyway so I know just to avoid those stores for now.

My problem seems to be t-shirts. I buy a shirt that is big enough around then the thing is too short so my stomache hangs out the bottom of it, I finally got around this by going to a big & tall shop and buying a tall of the right size... I'm not tall by any means but I certainly needed the extra length to stop hanging out the bottom of shirts which I always found a displeasing sight. I shop for clothes for my size a lot at second-hand shops just so I can get some cheap to me clothes that fit while I lose the weight, trouble even there is all the different brands, a XXL from one company will fit while another company it needs to be an XXXL to fit.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Clothes are no longer made for hourglass figures. Finding a good, inexpensive tailor is key to well fitting clothes.

That said... I hate all forms of shopping.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For me, it's always been shoes. Weird, right? A girl that hates shopping for shoes? The troubles are, one of my feet is bigger than the other, I have a bad right ankle, and until recently I had to wear wide width in everything. I've never been able to walk in heels (though I'm learning now -- at age 27!) and all the boots I want to wear fit my feet but not my chunky calves. :-(
  • sgillespie87
    sgillespie87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate clothes shopping in general, but as of late I hate shopping for girlie tops or dresses. I have NO chest (I barely fit an A) and anytime I want to wear something nice it is always too loose in the bust and looks bad.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    bras. i'm a friggin 34DD. it's either Victoria's Secret or nothing. no other options. and don't even think of trying a retail store, they work under the assumption that my size doesn't even exist. so it's a minimum $50 per bra every time i go lingerie shopping. do i look like i have that kind of money??? people please! haha.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm less of an hour glass and more of a "jelly bean" shape. :wink: I have a defined waist, but not overly so.

I'm ok shopping for jeans, but I HATE shopping for slacks. I'm just not comfortable when they hug my legs. And even more, I HATE shopping for capris. I have big calves so they always hug to tight. Any capris I buy need to come below my calf muscle or it makes them look even bigger, and those kind are harder to find.
  • CirrusMoth
    CirrusMoth Posts: 35
    Options
    Worst thing to shop for is a bra. I've measured and they still don't fit. I know I'm chesty but really they're suppossed to be made for my size and I lean over and everything falls out. Very frustrating:grumble:
    I only buy my bras at Lane Bryant. Nothing else will fit properly!

What would we do without Lane Bryant? :-D
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Worst thing to shop for is a bra. I've measured and they still don't fit. I know I'm chesty but really they're suppossed to be made for my size and I lean over and everything falls out. Very frustrating:grumble:
    I only buy my bras at Lane Bryant. Nothing else will fit properly!

What would we do without Lane Bryant? :-D

i kind of wish there was something like lane bryant for the under size 14 crowd with goofy measurements. i'm a 39' 29' 39' wtf?
  • CirrusMoth
    Options
    all the boots I want to wear fit my feet but not my chunky calves. :-(

The calf issue is another annoying one. I love high, sexy boots (heels a must), but I've had the same trouble. I haven't had the wide issue, but my feet are small. I wear a 6 1/2 or 7 depending on the type. Dress shoes tend smaller than sneakers. Also, what is this trend with all the cute little slip-ons not covering your toes? I have small feet and small toes...you think they would fit in the shoes properly. Must be the style, but I don't get it. Just weird...
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    dresses! It's impossible to find a dress that makes anyone over a size 8 look flattering without making them look like they are wearing grandma's old hand-me-downs or a tent. I'd love to wear dresses more (as in more than once a year) but I'm so sick of how they (don't) fit and look that I won't buy any.
  • CirrusMoth
    Options
    I hate clothes shopping in general, but as of late I hate shopping for girlie tops or dresses. I have NO chest (I barely fit an A) and anytime I want to wear something nice it is always too loose in the bust and looks bad.

Wish I could share. I'm wearing a 38 G and while it's in proportion for my current size, it makes exercising uncomfortable. Small must be tough, but I wouldn't know. Unfortunately, I've been a D since I was 13. :-/
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Shorts! I swear they only make them in daisy dukes any more! At 30 and 198lbs I have no desire to leave anything hanging out there! Plus I have a very high waist and the hour glass thing going on!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have the reverse problem in traditional "misses" sizes. If it fits comfortably in my hips, I get awful muffin top. If it fits in my waist, it's just baggy in my hips and makes them look bigger than they really are. I don't have this problem as much in the "women's" sizes: 18 vs 18W. But "women's" sizes typically only go as low as 16W, sometimes 14W. In another 30 pounds or so (I've been that weight before), all "women's" sizes will be too big. So I'll be back to the "misses" problem.

My other big beef is how I'm a size smaller on top than on bottom. My boobs are a D cup. Not exactly small. But I cannot wear 18Ws on top. I'm swimming in them. It's like, for the size of my hips and waist, the manufacturers seem to think I should be a DDD cup. Dresses and matching suits are just out for me. I have to buy separates.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    bras. i'm a friggin 34DD. it's either Victoria's Secret or nothing. no other options. and don't even think of trying a retail store, they work under the assumption that my size doesn't even exist. so it's a minimum $50 per bra every time i go lingerie shopping. do i look like i have that kind of money??? people please! haha.

You should check out Nordstrom if there's one near you - they do great fittings and carry tons of different sizes. I have some great bras that I've purchased from them and, yes, while they can be pricey, they're insanely good quality (and way better quality than VS).
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

You should check out Nordstrom if there's one near you - they do great fittings and carry tons of different sizes. I have some great bras that I've purchased from them and, yes, while they can be pricey, they're insanely good quality (and way better quality than VS).

And unlike VS, Nordtrom lingerie women are actually trained in bra fitting.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I'm not a fan of swimwear - it's too stressful to be out and about publicly in such little clothing.

I try and take sizing issues with a grain of salt - it's not me, it's the cut or the brand. I recently bought 3 dresses in the same department store. One was a 14, one was a 16, and one was an 18. It is what it is! And a good tailor will make anything fit properly.
  • purpleprose
    Options

And unlike VS, Nordtrom lingerie women are actually trained in bra fitting.

PREACH!!!!!
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    Bras are the absolute worse for me. I am an odd size, 42/44B and unless I go with the super-scratchy, super-ugly boxed bras, I'm out of luck.

Jeans suck too. Every designer has their own perception of what the "perfect size" is. What is one size to one designer is something totally different to another. Also, per my marketing instructor, the fabric is cut in piles by machines. So the piece at the top of the pile could be very different than the piece at the bottom. The person sewing may also take more of a seam than another person, again resulting in size disparities. For me, this means that I have to try on every single pair of pants. Even if they are within the same brand, I still have to try them on...GRRRR......
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Everything. I hate shopping for everything. I took my daughter into a consignment shop with me recently and picked out several shirts to try on and a pair of pants in between chasing her through the clothes rack. When I finally got into the dressing room NOTHING FIT. Everything was too small-and I only grabbed large items. I spent 1.5 hrs searching and found nothing. And don't even get me started on swimwear! What am I supposed to do with all of these stretchmarks? Ahhhh! Last summer I wore jeans and two layers of tank tops at skimpiest.