Spinning Calories

reynaaday
reynaaday Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a question: When I enter my information for spinning and the vigorous effort that I put forth, it says that I burnt between 500-600 calories. My husband got me one of those heart rate monitors and it says that in 60 minutes of vigorous spinning, I burnt about 300 calories. I don't see how I could have only burnt 300 calories. What do you guys think?

Reyna

Replies

• I have a question: When I enter my information for spinning and the vigorous effort that I put forth, it says that I burnt between 500-600 calories. My husband got me one of those heart rate monitors and it says that in 60 minutes of vigorous spinning, I burnt about 300 calories. I don't see how I could have only burnt 300 calories. What do you guys think?

Reyna
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Go with the Heart Rate Monitor-that is why you purchased it.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Make sure you have the correct personal info (age, weight, sex) programmed into the HRM. And go with that.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    If you don't spend a lot of time out of the saddle or bump your resistance up high enough (especially if you're well conditioned and need a huge effort to increase your HR), a spinning class can actually burn relatively few calories compared to an activity that requires you to move your own body weight, like running (or regular biking outside), simply because you're seated for much of it. The HRM will be far more accurate than any estimate online.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    If you don't spend a lot of time out of the saddle or bump your resistance up high enough (especially if you're well conditioned and need a huge effort to increase your HR), a spinning class can actually burn relatively few calories compared to an activity that requires you to move your own body weight, like running (or regular biking outside), simply because you're seated for much of it. The HRM will be far more accurate than any estimate online.

Being seated for so much of it isn't a problem--I never ride standing up. One, because there's no hills around me, and two, I don't feel comfortable riding standing up. So I stay seated. But, I do push against the wind some times and use higher gears, and ride bumpy roads, etc. etc. etc. All that adds up to calories.

300 minutes for 60 minutes sounds bout right to me--I'll burn an average of 500-600 or so per hour riding outside. But I'm usually pushing myself. and weigh a lot more. Some cyclists can burn up to 1000 calories per hour--the ones who are hitting 25mph or higher speeds!
This discussion has been closed.