cardio before or after weight training?

Options
If you do both cardio and weight training in the same trip to the gym, do you do cardio first or weightlifting workout first? Is there any reason why you do cardio or weight training first? Thanks!

Replies

• dmkaiser83
    dmkaiser83 Posts: 89
    Options
    I always did cardio, weights, and then cardio again. the first bit of cardio warmed me up for the weights and the 2nd round of cardio went right into cooling down.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've heard if you are trying to build bigger muscles to do weights first but I always do cardio first b/c that's what feels right to my body. If you lift first, you are supposed to warm up I think and once I get warmed up, I want to keep on moving. Just my personal preference I guess and not trying to be a body builder or anything, just get more toned.
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always done a bit of cardio for warm-up (5 mins or so), then weight lifting, then a full cardio workout. If I do the cardio first, I push myself too hard and I don't feel like I have enough energy for a good lifting session.

I hope that helps!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    warmup 5-10 minutes
    weights
    then cardio if you have to.

ideally they should be on different days.

check the sig
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From what I've read lately - weights then cardio is best. However, for many months I did cardio THEN weights and still lost weight. Now, I am mixing it up more - I warm up on the treadmill, do some weights, more cardio, more weights and then more cardio.
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Weight first then cardio, always. Best would be to do them on different days.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    To keep my heart rate up, I jump between cardio and weights. so i'll do 10 mins of cardio to work up, arm weights, 20 minutes of cardio, leg weights, then another 20-30 mins of cardio, and then do abs.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I always had my clients do 10-15 mins warmup, then we blasted the weights for a 30 min session...then a 10-15 min cooldown.

You'll get the same benefits areobically from two 10-15 mins bouts as you will doing 20-30 in one long session.

As well, if you superset your weight training exercises...you should be able to maintain the elevated heart rate all the way through.

I personally am in the middle of an elite level professional hockey training workout program and honestly, there isn't any cardio component to it at all. That being said...in doing multiple supersets of compound exercises...my heart is pumping the entire time regardless.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

I personally am in the middle of an elite level professional hockey training workout program and honestly, there isn't any cardio component to it at all. That being said...in doing multiple supersets of compound exercises...my heart is pumping the entire time regardless.

Agreed. I saw some girl in another thread suggesting hopping on the elliptical after every couple sets.
    I was like, if you're lifting right your heart rate should be high enough.
    My leg days have my heart going just as fast as my "cardio" days.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    stupid cpu keeps double posting
  • TeresaJTuck
    TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You do "Weight Training" first, Then "Cardio". Because if you do "Cardio" first it takes 15-20 minutes before you burn fat.
    You also burn less fat doing "Cardio" first.
    One article said in doing "Weight Training" first you have MORE energy, too.
    I hope this helps.
    Sincerely, Teresa Tuck
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    a nice 5 minute warm up and then WEIGHTS. by doing this you will start by burning the sugar in your body....once you get to cardio your body will have already of burned thru the sugar and is now aiming for fat.