Vegetables

Options
connieq288
connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
HI all

I need some way to make vegetables interesting for me. I have never been much of a veggie person. I usually only eat the most common of them which is corn, peas, or green beans or something like that. I also usually buy them canned. To be honest I have never made veggies homemade before that wasnt out of a can. When I get a salad it is mostly just lettuce because I dont like cucumbers and I really only like cooked tomatoes. I know I need to eat more veggies but I just dont know what to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Connie

86258.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    HI all

I need some way to make vegetables interesting for me. I have never been much of a veggie person. I usually only eat the most common of them which is corn, peas, or green beans or something like that. I also usually buy them canned. To be honest I have never made veggies homemade before that wasnt out of a can. When I get a salad it is mostly just lettuce because I dont like cucumbers and I really only like cooked tomatoes. I know I need to eat more veggies but I just dont know what to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    too familiar!! I found that steaming veggies is pretty good way to get myself to eat them. i buy the baby carrots , to much work to peel the others still i am working up to it. also i put mrs dash spicey on alot of my veggies or incorporate them in a whole wheat pasta. I am really starting to like my veggies now i feel so much better when i have them :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen veggies in the oriental styles, with snap peas and carrots and stuff, microwave and drizzle a little bit of cranberry mustard on them. Tastes awesome, and it's not butter! lol
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then.

Try new veggies. Every week when you go to the store, pick up something you haven't tried before and look up how to cook it.

I love roasted veggies - spray veggies with olive oil (buy a "Misto") and add thyme (maybe salt and pepper) - bake at 350 for 10-30 minutes depending on the veggie. I roast carrots with cinnamon, yum.

Stop eating stuff from a can, if you are able. It's no where near as good. Join the food snobs, like myself.

Discover low fat things to put on veggies - laughing cow light is a godsend. Cut up raw veggies: cucumbers, carrots, celery, beets (yes, they are wonderful raw!), broccoli, etc - have a few wedges with the veggies.

Add veggies to pasta, if you have the calories available to eat pasta (whole wheat of course).

Make your own veggie soup - cook root veggies longest. You can put almost anything in soup.

Learn to saute, if you don't know already. Yum, sauteed spinach with garlic! Again, get the Misto or use Pam.

Discover new salads - here's how I create them:
    1. pick a lettuce
    2. add a veggie
    3. add a dried or fresh fruit (apples, pears, craisins, grapes)
    4. add a flavorful cheese (gorgonzola, feta) or a dressing
    5. have calories? add nuts
    call it dinner

That should be enough for now :laugh:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    What really turned me on to eating veggies was buying them fresh in smaller quantities, taking them home, cleaning them, then putting them in Tupperwear for easy access when I wanted to eat them.

Here's my favs:
    red, yellow and green peppers
    chives
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    carrots

Sometimes I get dips or mix a little oil and vinegar for some flavor.
  • liltwynkl1
    liltwynkl1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i used to have the same problem then my sister suggested buying spinach and a bunch of healthy salad toppings. So everyday i always have my spinach salad with anything from raisins, sunflower seeds, hot sauce, almonds, fruits, tuna, chicken, so this way i'm not focusing on the salad...i focus on the great flavor of everthing else. And not mention how much more healthy spinach is compared to lettuce, i think it has a much better taste! but good luck with finding a good veggie friend!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I'm going to bump up a few veggie recipes for you from an Indian food cook book in the recipe category. You might want to try checking one out from the library and flipping through it.

You could also try just general vegetarian food books - and try what sounds good to you. Once you get a handful of recipes you like you'll be well on your way.

You, of course, could also search the web. I do both, but I really do like books for ideas...when flipping through I find interesting things I would not have thought to search for.:wink:
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was one that never liked many veggies either... But things have changed.. i would say try saute the veggies.. with some garlic and olive oil. with other spices. or another good way is to make a stir fry.
    hope that helps. Good luck to ya!

Jeff
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    be brave!
    try steaming/broiling/boiling/stir-frying or raw. You can only overcook veggie, otherwise you can;t go wrong! Frozen varieties are good to start you - my kitchen is under contraction right now so I buy Green Giant Steamfresh - 5 min in m.w and you are done! A good start!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Here...This is interesting fruit!!!

fruit_of_the_loom_07.jpg
  • pollyclover
    Options
    Something that I like to do in the summer, particularly when veggies are really fresh, is to make a raw salad. Use chopped carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, black beans, corn, etc. You can use anything in place of lettuce, which has almost no nutritional value. Then, to make it interesting, use some salsa in combination with your favorite light salad dressing and it's a really good meal. Enjoy!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    :laugh: at interesting fruit :laugh:
    41GKHiTGryL._SS400_.jpg
    more interesting fruit!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Have you tried gazpacho???
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Have you tried gazpacho???

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. I love gazpacho!
  • abby1949
    abby1949 Posts: 32
    Options
    ::flowerforyou: Have you tried the "New Mashed Potatoes" made with Cauliflower - Yummy!!!! Take a head of Cauliflower and break into Florets. put in Saucepan with 3 inches of water bring to boil and simmer until very tender. Use a "hand held" blender or put into any kitchen appliance that will "mash smoothly" add a knob of butte and pepper and you think you are eating potatoes! Comes from an Atkins recipe, (I think the original recipe includes Leaks) but I make with just Cauliflower.
    Enjoy
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    there is a recipe book recently came out by jerry seinfields(sp?) wife, she hides veggies in everyday ordinary foods,. i like to add chopped mushrooms and either broccoli or cauliflower (chopped in the food processor) to my burgers. you especially don't notice the mushrooms. :tongue:
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    I rememember when I first started losing weight I would eat salads without any dressing on them so I cam to love the natural taste of veggies. Now if i see a plate of them my mouth waters!!!

I also love Bok Choy, of course with a little bit of Brummel and Brown and it is soooooooooooo good.
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    Good topic, i'm so not a veggie person, i don't even consider them when i'm planning meals or shopping, and i'm not really a salad person either. I do remember when I was a kid nothing tasted better than the fresh green beans and peas right out of the garden, they're crunchy and crisp and if you grab a handfull at a time throughout the day as a snack then you get your veggies in and no worries about preparing them.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    I just finished making my home made salsa for lunch today.

Chop into tiny bits:

about 8 Roma tomatoes or whatever you have (more if needed)
    1 entire red onion
    entire bundle of cilantro
    sprinkle a bunch of garlic powder onto mix for taste
    about 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice for taste

I have a Pampered Chef chopper I use to chop and slice this up more once it is in the bowl, use a mixer or whatever, leaving some chunks. And eat with chips, on a salad, or with tacos. YUM! The more it sits the tastier it gets.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love the Birdseye steam fresh veggies. Pop the whole thing in the mircowave and serve.

My 23 yr old son and my husband had funny looks when the rice or potatoes was reduced to 1/4 of the plate and 1/2 was covered in broc, cauli, peas, corn, carrots, mixed oriental vegs, brussel sprouts, lima beans. Even the brocoli and cheese is low fat.

Now if I only cook 1 veggies they ask what else is for dinner!! Yeah...my son has lost 30+ lbs.

I just found out hubby hasnt lost anything because he has been sneaking in choc icecream when i wasnt looking. :noway:

Veggies and fruit are so important. the natural fiber is good for you and the canned stuff is loaded with sodium and has lost its natural goodness.

Also those bags of lettuce and spinach are awesome (did I just call veggies awesome? wow i have changed) :bigsmile: