Pigs R Flying!

Options
It took me a few days, but I finally got my blog posted about the Flying Pig Marathon (my thoughts anyway)...

But what I'm curious about, is now that I'm POST marathon... for my fellow runners... what sort of workouts should I be thinking about this week. I know my legs need rest, and at this point, light stretching is still tough because my legs are swollen... but I don't want to just not do anything. Any words of wisdom to share?? Please & Thanks!!

:flowerforyou: Angie

Oh yeah, stop by & check out my blog if you have time! :blushing:

Replies

• gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    congrats!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    /looks for a net and thinks "mmmm... flying bacon"/

Grats on running the marathon! For exercises this week, maybe working your arms some? Your abs are probably super sore too, so doing sit ups or push ups or anything like that probably isn't good for them. Maybe just take a break in general? I mean, that's pretty tough.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your race!

I basically do my taper in reverse after a marathon. It seems counter-intuitive, but I recover best by running.

On Monday I take a rest day, Tuesday I take a walk for 2 or 3 miles. On Wednesday I take a really slow "jog" for 3 miles - it hurts every step of the way, but once I'm done I feel a TON better.

A couple more easy runs, I'm usually ready to run 8-10 miles by the weekend.

This is what works for me, YMMV.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Linkie please! :bigsmile:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Going to read your blog today.
  • advocatus
    advocatus Posts: 8
    Options
    Congratulations, it was a nice day for a run wasn't it? (I set a PR on Sunday)

Many experts say you need 14 days to fully recover from 26 miles, which is why running the full 26 is never suggested as part of a training program (I believe almost all say a max of 20 miles). I don't plan on running again until at least this weekend, so a rest of 6-7 days. What I have been doing, and will continue to do (before during training and now after) is Hot Yoga. I attended Hot Yoga last night and it felt wonderful.

Best of luck to you, what's next?
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options

Hoping this works :smile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Angiebug1969
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Congratulations, it was a nice day for a run wasn't it? (I set a PR on Sunday)

Many experts say you need 14 days to fully recover from 26 miles, which is why running the full 26 is never suggested as part of a training program (I believe almost all say a max of 20 miles). I don't plan on running again until at least this weekend, so a rest of 6-7 days. What I have been doing, and will continue to do (before during training and now after) is Hot Yoga. I attended Hot Yoga last night and it felt wonderful.

Best of luck to you, what's next?

Congrats to you & your PR!! (I shaved 15 minutes off my marathon time... still not fast, but BETTER! And that makes me crazy proud!)

What's next?? I'm doing the Warrior Dash with my 17 yr old son in June, a women's only 1/2 Marathon in early September... and my oldest son (20 yr old) is coming home from Korea on military leave in September, we're going to do the USAF Marathon while he's here!! After that, who knows? Indy has a great couple of Marathons & Half Marathons in October & November... I may jump into one or two of those!!

Thx for the "reverse taper" suggestion... I think a neighborhood walk would be great this afternoon!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Hoping this works :smile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Angiebug1969

Certainly did - thanks! Will read it after dinner! x