Water

Options
I have been using MFP for about 3 weeks now and I am consciously trying to drink more water. My water goal is 13 8oz glasses by the end of the day. I don't have a problem drinking 8 but 13 is a lot harder to reach. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Also, do any of you count a diet soda at water? Thanks in advance for the tips!!! :happy:

Erin :smile:

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally count diet soda as water.. but some others may have a different opinion.

As far as spicing up water, have you tried adding fruit chunks too it(like lemon or lime)? Also those little crystal lite packets that you can put in your water.. those help me drink more when I don't want to.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    Try adding MIO to your water, it is a water enhancer.. 0 calories, 0 sugar. It is excellent! Right now I am using the fruit punch, but they also have berry pomegrante, peach tea, strawberry watermelon. It is sold by the crystal light and is liquid versus the powder. Much easier to mix up.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Try adding MIO to your water, it is a water enhancer.. 0 calories, 0 sugar. It is excellent! Right now I am using the fruit punch, but they also have berry pomegrante, peach tea, strawberry watermelon. It is sold by the crystal light and is liquid versus the powder. Much easier to mix up.

I 2nd the thoughts about MiO. I love that product - Just found it the other day and it's great! Each bottle claims to have 24 servings, but I think I'm getting about 30 out of mine...
    Using that or Crystal Light took me from an average of 9 glasses of water (not counting coffee or diet soda) to 14-16 a day no problems at all!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A route 44 water at sonic is about 5-6 8oz servings (depending on how much ice, or if you drink all the ice when it's melted etc) I can drink 2 of these at work and still drink later at night, I routinely drink about 10 servings of water. And (in Texas) it's only $0.54! Hope that helps!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Mio because it has artificial sweetner and i am not a bog fan, But i have heard that you cut up your favorite fuits and dump it in a pitcher and put it in the fridge it's tastes so good. I am trying that today because i need to increase my water intake....Good luck :)
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My first thought is why are you drinking so much water, when the recommended amount is 64 ounces? There's a website, and I'll have to try to locate it that tells you how much extra water you should drink per day, especially if you are exercising.

Another option for water intake would be herbal tea (caffeine free).
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble keep up with my water intake and soemone gave me the tip to drink 1 - 8 oz glass every hour that you are awake. Start first thing when you wake up and keep an eye on the clock. Before you know it you will have surpassed your goal for the day. I sip on coffee and other beverages between times but do not count these as water and record any calories that they contain. Hope this helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to drink that much water? You only need to drink enough to stay hydrated, which is about eight 8 oz. glasses of non-alcoholic liquid (yes diet sodas should count) per day. If you sweat a lot you may need a little more, if you eat a lot of foods with a high water content you may need a little less. But once your body is hydrated drinking more water does you no good, other than the extra exercise you get running to the bathroom.
  • dmkaiser83
    dmkaiser83 Posts: 89
    Options
    I wouldn't count diet soda. I wouldn't count diet soda as anything but crap, but that's just my opinion. I use propel zero. i use one packet in 24oz of water.
  • Firechic53
    Firechic53 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I think I might give the MiO a try. I have used the crystal light packets in the past but I tend to get bored with those and they aren't cheap if your drinking a lot of water. As far as the comments about excessive water, they say your supposed to drink half of your body weight's amount in water. Half of my body weight is 105oz so that is 13 8oz cups of water. Plus I exercise about 45 mins a day and sweat a lot of that water out.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    As for why drink so much I was told recently and read recently that you should drink half your body weight in ounces. ie, 200 lb person would drink 100 ozs Made sense to me because we all need amounts based on our size, a 5' person may not need the same a 6' person.

To help drink it try Crystal light, or fruit. Personally I like mine ice cold and drink only eater until I have me 98 ozs done for the day!! That seem to help me then I can enjoy a diet soda or something.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have two 20 oz re~usable water bottles I am drinking 2 in the morning 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening. that gives me 15 cups a day :) (120 oz) I am going to look for a 40oz bottle So when I am gone all day I can just use one and not forget how many times i refilled. :) kinda goofy for me to take 2 bottles everywhere :) I do what I gotta do to lose this flubber :tongue:
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    Try to avoid the Crystal Light packets... :/ I had a good friend who drank those a lot and she got aspartame poisoning... she got pregnant after losing 90 pounds, and had a miscarriage... her doctor told her it was from the artificial sweetener in the Crystal Light packets... I avoid that crap like the plague.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ALSO, back in my weight watchers day's we were told we could count SOME of our caffeine free diet pop as water.....I prolly did back then but I don't now. in fact if I start drinking pop again ( been 7 days since) I will drink an ounce of water EXTRA for every ounce of pop I drink . that just me :)
  • jenk24
    jenk24 Posts: 4
    Options
    Crystal Light makes a new product called Crystal Light Pure that is great because there are no artificial sweeteners in it!
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found the link for you...
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    There are a series of questions they ask you about your weight, exercise, alcoholic intake, pregnancy, breast feeding, etc. Afterwards, it tells you how much water you should be drinking based on these criterias.

Here's some tips that they provide you after you take the mini survey to determine how much water to drink in a day:
    Water is an obvious source for your daily fluid needs. Other good beverages include milk, herbal teas, low-sodium broth, 100% fruit and vegetable juices. Soft drinks will also count toward your daily total of fluid, just remember that sugar sweetened soft drinks and fruit juices add extra calories to you daily diet that you don't need, while drinking water may help you lose weight.