wisdom teeth

Options
nachisdoll
nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
So have you gotten your wisdom teeth out? and if yes how long till you were back to yourself?
I got mine out on monday, I still cant open my mouth all the way...I cant eat any solids...and frankly I had enough I want to be back to myself (working out etc)
Any advice?

Replies

• Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at 21. Took about a week or so before I could manage soft solids. I think I ate wedge fries from the local grocery store deli...best things I had ever eaten at the time LOL

Don't over do it. The last thing you want is to blow your stitches. It sucks.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Both lower ones removed March 29th,one was impacted so had to be cut out.
    Am just getting back to normal as far as eating.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had mine out....maybe 2 months ago and it took me about 3 weeks to be at about 90%, for the first two weeks I only felt comfortable eating jello and mashed potatoes etc. (DO NOT try and eat chips too early, no matter how tasty it looks!!!!!) But I was off the pain killers by the end of the first week, until I tried the chips lol! It was hard for me to workout til about 2.5 weeks because I wasn't eating enough calories, and had no energy.
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    This what not the post I wanted to see!! *CLOSES EYES* ... :cry: On the 12th of this month I have an appointment for a consultation because my Orthodontist wants them out. :frown: I am hoping to have them done on a Friday so I can be fine by Monday.. but your post says otherwise... :noway:

Meh
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I had a lower one removed back in February. They told me not to go to the gym for at least 3-4 days (raising your heart rate will make it difficult if not impossible for the blood clot to form -- which is needed to heal the socket). I did what they told me to do and ended up with a dry socket anyway. One tooth took me out for almost 3 weeks. Ack. Take it easy and let it heal.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    had all 4 surgically removed 2 years ago i got dry socket so it took a little longer before i could really chew... but probably only 2 weeks or so
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I had all 4 of mine taken out at the same time. I was eating regular food the next day. I didn't even take the pain medication.

I heard so many horror stories I was scared. One of my friends had a piece of her tooth that shattered still in her gums. It eventually worked it's way out though.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 of mine out when I was 18 and had no choice but to suck it up and get back to normal right away.
    It happened while I was at boot camp and for some reason Marine Drill Instructors don't feel that having them removed was a good enough reason for any light duty LOL
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 20 years ago, I ate peanuts the day after and broke my stitches, really not a nice experience but even with that I was back to normal after a week or so.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    (I shouldn't be reading this)
    Mine comes out the 17th, ack.
    I told my boss that I would take off the 18th and then she expects me back to work on the 19th. She says it's, "no big deal."
    I think I'll be doing mostly protein shakes and smoothies until I can chew. I'm nervous.
  • 78_kasia
    78_kasia Posts: 27
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine out 5 years ago. I took me about 3 days to be functional again, but a good 6 weeks to fully recover, however, my situation was a little worse than normal - my teeth were fused with my jaw bone and had to be sawed away. I lived on yogurts, oatmeal, and soups. After that I never wanted to see oatmeal again. lol
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out last year. Took me about a week to be back to normal, but I was able to open my mouth by day 3-4. I'm a big baby when it comes to anything wrong with my face though (like tooth aches, ear aches etc)....so I took the pain meds as directed not "as needed"....that helped me a lot.

Make sure you try stretching your jaw though, or if your still having a really hard time opening your mouth call your dentist and make a follow up apt (or just let him know since he will know what is normal and what isn't). I "heard" (so don't quote me as fact) that sometimes your jaw can lock up and you want to make sure you get it checked out if it does so it doesn't get worse.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    (I shouldn't be reading this)
    Mine comes out the 17th, ack.
    I told my boss that I would take off the 18th and then she expects me back to work on the 19th. She says it's, "no big deal."
    I think I'll be doing mostly protein shakes and smoothies until I can chew. I'm nervous.

It's not too bad, I had mine out Tuesday and was back to work Saturday, but I probably could have gone back to work that Friday, I just chose not to. It hurts if you have to talk to much, and don't watch any really funny movies, laughing too much hurts too. Just do everything in moderation until you feel you're up to more.

Good luck to everyone having them out!!!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I must have been an oddity... I had all 4 of mine out (bottom 2 were impacted) a couple years ago. I was eating soft foods within a few days and eating regular food (carefully) within a week. After the first day I felt plenty fine and was up and about doing my normal stuff; didn't even need the pain medication I was given.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    For all of you waiting to get them out. Being put under (like put to sleep) is the best ever. I was terrified to get them out. I just remember the nurse saying she was going to count backwards from 10...I got to about 8 and the next thing I know they were waking me up asking if I wanted a drink of water. So its not too bad.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 17. All went well except the doctor severed a nerve in my mouth. I lost all the feeling in the right side of my mouth including in the right side of my tongue. it has been 17 years since then and I still don't have all the feeling back. Otherwise, everything was great! :happy:
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    It took me about a week.

Whatever you do, don't eat any hot liquids. It hurts like a b!&*^ and will cause the swelling to intensify. I found that out the hard way
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine out until I was 40 yrs old. You know the cartoon where the dentist tries to pull out teeth and had to brace his feet on the chair and pull back...well, My dentist had to fight too! He is 6' 4" and about 210 lbs and when he finished he was in a rollin sweat from pulling My wisdom teeth. I got all 4 out at one time. As I recall, I didn't have any pain or soreness. I ate soup for dinner, went to bed and woke up normal.

If you continue to have problems, don't hesitate to get checked out, you don't want any complications. Hope you feel better soon.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It took me about a week.

Whatever you do, don't eat any hot liquids. It hurts like a b!&*^ and will cause the swelling to intensify. I found that out the hard way

RIGHT! GOOD Advice...the clots could be loosened and cause hollows as the healing process goes on, then you may have to get a root canal to repair it.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Took me my jaw a while to get back adjusted. All had to be cut out tho. I am sure it's easier when they are just pulled. Good luck! Soft foods will be your friend for a while! Make sure to keep the sockets clean as well. A syringe is also helpful.