Family activites besides walking

Options
My family is overweight. Saying that is probably an understatement. I have been on my weight loss journey for a while and they've been trying to stay on the wagon with me, but it's hard for them sometimes.

I want to get them out of the house now that the weather has finally warmed up. We go on the occasional walk together, but what else can we do as a family to get us moving around? We like to play bean bags, bocce ball and catch. I don't want my parents to have a heart-attack either, so something maybe low intensity at first. Help? Thanks!

Replies

• jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I remember as a kid when my parents were trying to lose weight, we would go on family bike rides! it wasn't an everyday occurance but we used to have so much fun! You could easily make it an all-day event by finding a path close to home and biking out to a park for a (healthy) picnic!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Family bike rides
    Frisbee golf
    Swimming
    Geocaching (still walking, but with a purpose)
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Family bike rides
    Frisbee golf
    Swimming
    Geocaching (still walking, but with a purpose)

I was just gonna say frisbee golf!! Great exercise and a lot of fun. The kids will love it.
  • Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    Options
    Bowling, mini golf, batting cages, roller blading.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bicycling is best!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    How about Frisbee, Badminton or badminton, horseshoes and such that can be set-up at the park or in the backyard. Playing catch with a football, shooting hoops at a basketball net (Play around the world or HORSE).

Anything that gets you up and moving around is better than sitting on the couch.

Or if you have a big park near by...how about kite flying!
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    IT's not out of the house but the wii games are a lot of fun.

I agree with the biking and going to the park and playing ball, or running around. Tennis, Swimming.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    First, I want to say how sweet this is to read about your concern for your fam! WTG!!! Hiking is awesome, swimming, biking, softball, flag football, yard work together, soccer. Good luck, and you are so awesome for trying to help your family get and stay in shape. :)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    bike rides, hiking, bowling can be good exercise if you are really inactive....any game that gets you moving....bean bags is a good way to start...if as a family there is next to no activity anything is better...how about one of the dance games or a Wii....we don't have one but when my hubby and I get to play on my sister in law's system we get so active and competitive we both end up sweating.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    We try to make time for a "family walk" at least three nights a week, although the kids often ride their bikes while my husband and I walk. Also hiking at the state parks is a fun family activity. And we got a trampoline last year (with a safety netting!) and my husband and kids spend hours on it playing games like monkey in the middle with a small rubber ball and other games my daughter makes up :laugh: . I do jump a little and it makes your heart rate go up pretty quickly. We also got a punching bag and gloves for rainy days when my boys are bouncing off the wall. My kids are very active anyway so it's not like I'm trying to push exercise on them but if you do it as a family and make it a habit, it's just good family fun together.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Biking, walking swimming, my son taking judisu and loves it...oh and last weekend he and the little girl across the street flew a kite.....They run back and forth for like two hours...tell me that wasn't good exercise....lol.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We jump on the trampoline and box together (both the trampoline and punching bag were garage/yard sale finds)!

2858698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • neverdull
    neverdull Posts: 6
    Options
    www.letsmove.gov has some great suggestions for families and exercise. My daughter and I have been filling out the weekly goal sheet and making plans of what we want to do together. We haven't quite gotten into a routine yet, but we like planning out the week and seeing what we can accomplish. I believe there is a section with activities that would appeal to the whole family. Good luck.