heat and headaches

Options
is it just me or does anyone else get headaches and sort of lighheaded after excercising in the heat? I was only out there 35 minutes and it wasn't really really hot but i still got a headache.

Replies

• mandanroger08
    Options
    is it just me or does anyone else get headaches and sort of lighheaded after excercising in the heat? I was only out there 35 minutes and it wasn't really really hot but i still got a headache.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hydrate! This could be a symptom of dehydration.

also, I'll get a headache if I run without a cap in the summer (maybe I'm squinting too much)

But, for sure make sure you're drinking enough water and electrolytes.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Hydrate :drinker: :drinker: with some water or similar drink and cool off (shade, rest, etc.)

I bike home in the heat - 100+ degrees in the summer and it wears me out!
    You need to be acclimated to the heat, and even then it is best to avoid it and workout inside or mornings/evenings. Summer does throw off my workout schedule.

Be well.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    +1

water, water, water, and electrolytes!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    For some people it is definitely dehydration. You could also be sensitive to heat or sun. I cannot do cardio in direct sunlight unless it is under 72 deg F. Get to know your bodies limits, and work within them.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hydrate :drinker: :drinker: with some water or similar drink and cool off (shade, rest, etc.)

I bike home in the heat - 100+ degrees in the summer and it wears me out!
    You need to be acclimated to the heat, and even then it is best to avoid it and workout inside or mornings/evenings. Summer does throw off my workout schedule.

Be well.

Yeah, I am definitely not acclimated! I live in WA State, so it is usually cool here and I get downright sick when we have summer weather and I workout. I have to stand right in front of the fan in my classes at the gym.
  • mandanroger08
    Options
    well i get a drink of water about every 15 minutes. i only average about 3 bottles or 6 cups of water a day and if i drink more than that i feel really bloated. so maybe i am sensitive to the sun.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    :noway: yes me, make sure your drinking water, and I think it have alot to do with the extra weight, we carry around...Zoe
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    If you are only drinking 6 cups of water a day you were probably dehydrated. Use a calculator to figure out how much water you need just for an average day, and increase that amount if you are going to be working out in the heat and sun. If you are sensitive to sun/heat it helps to have the extra water in you before your workout. (Drink extra in the hours before, not all at once 20 minutes before you go out - that's an easy way to make yourself feel sick and ruin your workout.)
    Like I said, just get to know your body, watch for patterns, and adjust accordingly. Eventually you will get to know what triggers to avoid and can start having consistantly great workouts.
    Good luck.
  • mandanroger08
    Options
    thanks to everyone.