Perfect weight?

chevy88grl
chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right spot (and if not, I'm sorry...).

I've heard a lot of people say that everyone's body has an ideal weight. This is the weight in which your body is comfortable, functions well, and is easy to maintain. Once you get to this weight, your body will fight to remain at this weight and you'll have to really fight it to get it to go any lower.

What is everyone's thought on this? There's a part of me that believes this is true. And I only say that because I've been at my current weight since Sept and honestly? It's easy to maintain it. I don't have to kill myself or eat like a bunny to remain at this weight. I haven't struggled at all to remain here. I have, however, struggled with trying to get it to lose anymore weight. I've tried every different combination and while I was able to drop down to around 147lbs it was a struggle to remain at that weight.

So. Does the perfect weight for your body exist? Am I going to be fighting a losing battle trying to get it to go any lower? Will I find myself having to make drastic changes to get it lower? Because honestly, I feel like that is what will have to happen.

Perfect weight.. truth or myth? I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Replies

• flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    I'll be curious to hear answers as well. I'm still trying to figure out what my goal weight should be (still have a ways to go, but would like a solid target to aim for).
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Not sure but there probably is and you look like you are just the perfect size to me, you look healthy
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    It's probably true although probably difficult to pinpoint. I gain weight very easily. I don't even have to blink. I'm a little concerned that my goal weight will be difficult to maintain mainly b/c I've never made it there. I got close once and gained it all back.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Yes, I definitely think there's truth to this. I lost 50 lbs before, and kept it off very easily for years. Gained it back due to a very stressful divorce (not an excuse, I know, but it happened). Then I lost it again, but went down too far and gained it all back again. So, hopefully my "ideal" weight for me is still the same, but maybe not due to age and childbirth...we shall see!

If you're happy, comfortable, etc. then maybe you found it!
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    You look FABULOUS!!! I think there is probably a "perfect" weight for everyones body. If you are having no trouble staying where you are but are having trouble losing more maybe you are THERE. I LOVE hearing that you aren' t having trouble staying at your current weight. I feel like even when I get to my "perfect" weight I will still struggle to STAY there. Right now if I let myself go for a few days I can easily gain 6 pounds!!! Not even kidding!! So I REALLY hope the day comes when I DON'T have to struggle to stay at a "perfect" weight. Is your BMI and all that where you want it to be? There is a formula for weight, height, age etc. and it comes out to what you should weigh, you could probably google something about it. Good luck and YOU DO LOOK FABULOUS!!!

Julie
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    I think it is true for me. My body likes to stick around 110-114 lbs. I am trying sooooo hard to bust that 110 right now. It is easy for me to maintain 112, but I would rather have to work harder to maintain a lower weight to keep myself in good shape, not just at a good weight.
  • chevy88grl
    Thank you for all the compliments. I really appreciate them. :)

Like I said, I managed to get myself down to 147lbs but it was a struggle to keep it there. I had to be VERY careful about what I ate and how long I worked out (if I didn't do a full 60 mins - I would see a slight gain). I felt like I wasn't really living because I was always worrying, fretting and obsessing over what I ate, how long I went to the gym, etc. I want this to be a lifestyle -- not a diet.

When I hit 150lbs, I felt like I needed to set another goal. Why? I don't know. I guess because that's what people do when they achieve a goal, right? They set a new one. So, I said I wanted to be 140. I've been struggling ever since to get below 150. I have a day here and there when I'll weigh in at 149, but as a rule I stay right around 150 (I do fluctuate between 150-153 and can go up to 155, but I come right back down). I'll be honest -- I don't think I want to make the drastic changes that would be necessary to lose those last 10lbs and knowing that.. well, I kinda feel like I've failed.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    I'll be honest -- I don't think I want to make the drastic changes that would be necessary to lose those last 10lbs and knowing that.. well, I kinda feel like I've failed.

I don't think you've failed at all! Sometimes meeting a goal is a sign for you to stop and reevaluate. I honestly think that you have to take into account your lifestyle, age, and activity level before setting your next goal. Right now, getting below 150 is causing you to make too many chagnes that you know you won't keep up with. Don't beat yourself up! Maintain 150 for a while, focus on your strength and endurance adn energy levels. Find other fitness goals that have nothing to do with weight. You can always reevaluate again later.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    I really think you look great. If you are struggling that much and it is stressing you out that much, just maintain for a while. Try working on building some muscle, you may actually see some losses because the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. That's kind of what I am doing, stepping back the cardio a little bit and trying to add more strength training, besides being healthy, muscle sure does look pretty. :tongue:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I don't know. I seem to swing between 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 stone. At both weights I am a UK size 10, or have been in the past. I can't get below 8 1/2 without starving myself, which makes sense as that is nearing the bottom of my healthy BMI range. If I get above 10 1/2 I feel and look huge.
  • chevy88grl
    I really think you look great. If you are struggling that much and it is stressing you out that much, just maintain for a while. Try working on building some muscle, you may actually see some losses because the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. That's kind of what I am doing, stepping back the cardio a little bit and trying to add more strength training, besides being healthy, muscle sure does look pretty. :tongue:

I did switch up my routine at the gym recently. I was doing alot of cardio and have added strength training back in slowly. I have some injuries that mean I have to move very slowly when I strength train. I had backed off it for a long time after I caused a flare up in my shoulder trying to do too much too soon. I recently added it back in AND have been mixing up my routine quite a bit. I can see a difference in my arms. :)
This discussion has been closed.