Tight Hamstrings...Could Use Opinions!

nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently discovered that I have extremely tight hamstrings by trying (key word there, trying lol) to do some yoga. Since then I've been incorporating a few hamstring stretches into my daily routine a couple times a day or whenever I have spare time and think to do them. I've been doing them at least a week now and they are still just as difficult as day 1.

When should I expect to start seeing some improvement in my flexibility? I'm guessing it's too early right now, but I had assumed the stretches would gradually be getting easier.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    It's gonna take time.
    I wasn't flexible at all last year, I've seen some improvements, but it's slow going.

keep at it
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    stretch before & after/\
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    What is yoru stretching routine, exactly?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    It does take a fairly long time to become more flexible. Keep up the stretching, use a towel to assist if you need to do so.

Also stretch out your butt and low back--if your hamstrings are tight, odds are that they are too. ;)
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    I have a similar problem. I've found that varying the types of stretches has helped.
    Also, I don't think I was holding the stretches long enough. I now do a "20 second count" instead of a 10.

I try to stretch first thing in the morning and before I go to bed at night.

When I first started, about six or seven weeks ago, I couldn't reach my toes when doing a seated stretch. Now I can usually reach my toes on my right leg but still struggle with the left.
    (Stretches like this: stretching_before_6_ap_03.gif)

I guess (certainly at my age) you just have to take it steady and keep on trying. :smile:
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    I've found my most effective stretching to happen after I've done some cardio, so that my mucles are warm and stretchy. :)
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    i do this first thing in the morning: gentle swings of the leg forwards and backwards gradually getting higher and higher each time. Around 10 to 15 swings on each leg
    depending on time, i will go through one set of each of these also in the morning and then whenever i get time through the day but at least twice a day: Sit on the floor with the leg to be stretched out straight and the other bent out of the way.
    Rotate the straight leg inwards and lean forward at the hips to feel a stretch under the thigh.
    Hold stretch for 30 seconds. Then rotate the straight let outwards and repeat stretch on each side.
    Stand with the leg to be stretched just in front of the other one.
    Bend the back knee and lean forwards from the hips.
    Place your hands on the bent leg's thigh, to balance yourself.
    If you can't feel a stretch, lean further forwards or tilt your pelvis forwards.
    Hold for 30 seconds.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    My little hint here... (used to be a dancer)

When you are watching tv at night, streach through a whole program....

When preparing for winter season of dance team I would have to get flexible really really quick, don't just streach your sore muscles streach all of the muscles, they are all connected...

The longer you sit in a particular streach the faster your body will get used to it... 20-30 seconds 3 times a day isn't going to do anything (20-30 seconds is an assumption). Then longer you streach the faster you will become flexible.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    I have really tight hamstrings too. I think the fact that I keep trying to make them bigger leaves me sore a lot, tighter there. I've done some styrofoam roller exercises, and I've struggled with the yoga poses that tight hamstrings prevent from doing well. . I guess just keep at the yoga and stretching.
  • advocatus
    advocatus Posts: 8
    I agree with Mursey, keep going to Yoga. Remember Yoga isn't about looking pretty, or doing the poses perfectly. That's why we call Yoga a practice and not a performance.

Look into Hot Yoga, and you find even more flexibility. Just remember to not over do it. It should feel uncomfortable but NEVER sharp pain (acute).

Best of luck. I've been doing Yoga for three years now, and I couldn't do down-dog when I first started.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    I would definitely advocate stretching after a workout. The standard for exercise these days is dynamic stretches (like your leg swings) prior to workouts to get you loosened up and ready for exercise and static stretches after workouts to build flexibility and prevent injury.
This discussion has been closed.