DOES THIS COUNT?

Options
If I want to drink a certain amount of water a day, does drinking tea or other drinks count towards my overall total of water intake?... Or does it HAVE to be H2O only?

Replies

• Autumnskies
    Autumnskies Posts: 16
    Options
    That's a good question, i would like to know the answer to that too! I use a lot of those crystal lite packets in my bottles of water, does it still count?
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I only count water or water with something like mio or crystal light.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think only plain water counts toward your daily water goal. Any other beverage is simply for hydration. Nothing flushes toxins and aids weight loss quite like plain water. Even flavored water.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    well...........I count my decaf iced tea.

Low sodium and no caffiene drinks, I suppose technically no, but life is full of gray areas....Just get some water as well!

just my take on it :glasses:
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't count tea, sodas as they have caffeine which is a diuretic.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My thinking on this topic has always been if it starts out from water then it should count toward your total water intake.
  • ashxo12
    ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's a good question, i would like to know the answer to that too! I use a lot of those crystal lite packets in my bottles of water, does it still count?

I would say crystal lite would still count toward your goal, as long as your tracking the packets in your journal too.. And it depends on what other drinks you are talking about. Those sugary drinks, sweetened tea, soda, ect. do not count toward your goals.
  • ashxo12
    ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I would say crystal lite would still count toward your goal, as long as your tracking the packets in your journal too.. And it depends on what other drinks you are talking about. Those sugary drinks, sweetened tea, soda, ect. do not count toward your goals.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Low cal flavor packets are okay to add to water and still count it as 'water', but in my opinion tea and coffee and especially soda (diet or not) do not count towards your water intake. Juices are jam packed with sugar. Plain ol' H2O is always best.
  • stephlayne
    stephlayne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is really up to you if it counts. When you drink just plain water it takes only seconds for your body to obsorb it, but when you add anything to it, it must go through your entire digestive system. They say you need 8 glasses a day, but it is actually less than that because most of your drinks and a lot of your food contain a ton of water too. I usually get 6 glasses since I know my food will make up for the rest. I think I read that 40% of that 8 glasses a day is given by the food you eat. Hope this helps!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes it does count. Everything counts because everything has water in it. The best option by far is of course plain water. I would try to only count one beverage that is not plain water toward your daily goal to keep you on track. I know in weight watcher becasue my mother in law is a leader they do count diet soda.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I count any drink that is water based (like tea, Crystal light, etc) but not soda or coffee (because it dehydrates you).
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Just my point of view but if its liquid (not dairy) then it has some content of water.
    The problem is what else is in that drink.
    I consider my coffee, tea, protein shakes, and occasional diet soda as a portion of my water intake.
    I know I will be flamed, so I have to say nothing substitutes plain water though.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    There is research stating that only water counts as water but there is also research that states you can get water from many different sources. I would suggest doing research via the internet and your doctor and draw your own conclusions, one good place to start is web md...

Best wishes in your journey!!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    According to my Nutritionist water can be: water, crystal light and any non-carbonated, no sugar, no cafeine drink. So Mio, decaf coffee/tea and Vitamin/Lifewater Zero can be counted as water.
  • strbellydsneetch
    strbellydsneetch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're using the water goal to ensure proper hydration, I've always been told that anything counts. I was wondering the same thing a while back and I found in my research that anything counts. According to one nutrionalist, even the water from fruits, veggies, etc could technically count towards your goal. Obviously, the water intake from foods is difficult to calculate, but it's important to note that the foods are going in your body and, therefore, your body is going to use everything it can, including the water content.

I personally wouldn't include sugary drinks, such as soda, simply because those should be severely limited, but definitely teas and those flavoring packets would count.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't count tea, sodas as they have caffeine which is a diuretic.

I agree with this also... If the beverage is water based and doesn't contain diuretic ingredients, I will only count those as water intake.
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Sorry to be graphic, but I would judge your hydration by the color of your urine. If your urine is dark, you need more water. If it is light or colorless, you are well hydrated. So if you drink non-plain water & your urine is light to colorless, I would say you are fine to count what you drank towards your water intake. If yours is darker, then don't count it since it isn't hydrating you. People seem to react differently to it.
  • gunny34
    gunny34 Posts: 68
    Options
    I just don't think I could drink 8 glasses a day of WATER. I don't enjoy drinking things. I am a sipper, I sip on something all day.. I take ALL day to drink something.. and my urine color is extremely light, no dehydration here. LOL
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't have caffeine in it (or a bunch of added chemicals or sugar or crap) counts. Rather than Crystal Light, you might want to try some herbal tea. I brew a pot and then put it into a pitcher and put it in the fridge. VOILA! Iced tea with no sugar, no aspartame or other chemicals, and it tastes GOOD! Use any herbal tea... I also get at LEAST 50% of my water as plain ol' H2O. Just my two cents.