Store-cupboard squid/prawn bouillabiase

Options
melaniecheeks
melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
So I fancied something high protein tonight, but didn't have anything specific planned. First I looked in my freezer. Man, I love frozen squid and frozen prawns! Defrosted in minutes, and easy to use. I checked a few squid recipes, but didn't really want any fried type "salt and chilli" dishes. Looked at a few bouillabaisse (sp?) recipes - OK I have no other fish, apart from a jar of anchovies, but I'm sure I can come up with something out of that lot! And here it is:

Serves 2 as a light meal or starter

Ingredients:

3 tubes squid, with tentacles, defrosted, sliced into rings
raw prawns, approx 100g
3 anchovies from a jar, chopped into 1cm pieces
1 onion, small
6 button mushrooms, washed and quartered
Tinned chopped tomatoes - half a tin
1 red pepper (I didn't have fresh so I used some from a jar of marinated ones), chopped
3 artichokes from a jar of marinated (optional), chopped
black pepper
hot sauce
2 tablespoons oil

Method:

Finely dice the onion. Sautee in the oil (I used a mixture of canola, plus a dash from the artichoke jar and the anchovy jar, for flavour).
As the onions soften and become translucent, add the fresh red pepper, (if using)
When the pepper and onion have softened (5 mins), add the mushrooms
A few minutes later, add the anchovies. They'll soften and meld into the sauce, don't worry about them overpowering the dish.
When the mushrooms have become squishy, add the tomatoes and artichokes (and the red peppers if its the store cupboard variety you're using)
Add black pepper to taste. Add hot sauce.
(The fish will cook really quickly so you need to get the flavour right at this stage)
Let tomato sauce bubble for a minute before adding in turn;
the squid tentacles
the squid rings
and lastly the prawns.
Stir till the prawns have turned pink.

Spoon into 2 bowls and enjoy.

(Could be served with crusty bread, or rice, or pasta, but nutritional info is just for the sauce)

Per serving:

Calories - 180
Carbs - 12
Fat - 8
Sugar - 3
Protein - 11
sodium - 127

I have pics, let me see if I can upload them.

Replies