Net Calories: Will someone PLEASE explain it to me?

Options
2»

Replies

• wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/225765-how-mfp-works

read the first post, great info. Use your diet to lose the weight, use exercise to get in shape and tone.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    So for example, today I burned around 1400 and ate 1300. This means I'm in negative calories. I've already had dinner and I cant possibly eat anymore today unless I want dessert (which i resisted)... i feel bad even when i eat a tiny square of chocolate.
    Does my net calories mean I am going into starvation mode? Why would I want to eat 3000 calories when i want to lose weight?
    You body needs some energy for its normal functioning. Average for girls is around 1200 calories. The calories that you have burnt are not their for the body to use. Just assume your body needs 1200$ each day to maintain itself[House Rent, Loans, Bills etc]. You earn 2600$/day of which 1200$ the body uses and you spend[BURN] the rest of the 1400$ lets say on shopping. But if you only earn 1300$/day and spend 1400$ on shopping, how will your body survive/how will you pay your house rent and bills??
    Is it clear enough?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The number MFP sets for you is how many you should eat.

So, if the number is 1500 and you go to the gym and burn 500, you need to eat 500 more to be back at 1500.

1500-500=1000+500= 1500.

If you eat 1500, burn 500 and don't eat the 500 back you're only netting 1000 for the day -- which for most people is way too low.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your homepage and food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.

MFP builds in a deficit for you based on the information you gave it: height, weight, lifestyle, goal weight loss, etc.. All you need to do is follow the calorie goals it gives you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
  • peytjalmom
    peytjalmom Posts: 76
    Options
    If your not hungry after, even the day after, such a high calorie burn (1000+), maybe you're not burning the amount of calories you think you are burning. The MATH is right about eating back the calories burned to make a net of 1200, but the SCIENCE is a bit difficult to determine. Who knows what the individual's metabolism does to compensate for the extra work you re putting it through? You may burn less calories than you think as your body adjusts to an exercise, and that may be why some who don't eat their perceived high amount of calories burned back and still have success.
  • jfrankovich
    jfrankovich Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you a warning message if you click "Complete This Entry" on a day where you don't consume 1200 calories ("Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories."). The curious thing is that you will NOT get this same warning message if only your NET is below 1200. So long as you consume more than 1200, no matter how much you burn off from exercise (even with a negative net — I posted a large amount of dummy exercise just to check), you don't get any warning. What's up with that?