Ketogenic diet meal plan?

Options
Hey I've been reading a lot about the ketogenic diet and it sounds very interesting, does anyone have sample meal plans and experience to share? How has it worked for you? Did it take long to see a difference? :smile: Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that any diet that requires you to be in a state of ketosis isn't going to last that long. You'll lose weight quickly but it will all come back just as fast. I have put my body in a state of ketosis during induction on Atkins. You can purchase ketostix to check your level of ketosis but honestly - this is not something that you want to do for long.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Are you epileptic? It seems that would be the only way one could justify such a high-fat diet... otherwise, in the long term this just can't be healthy.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    The following is a excerpt of an article that discusses the different types of techniques people employ for weightloss

Ketogenic dieting (very low carbs, moderate or high fat)

By eating lean protein with high fat and keeping carbohydrates so low that you enter ketosis (usually 30-70 grams of carbs a day or less), many dieters report reaching levels of leanness they were not able to achieve with any other method. Reducing carbs drastically does seem to accelerate fat loss in virtually any body type, but seems to have greater benefits for those who were hypoglycemic and carb sensitive to begin with. Other people report only moderate fat loss but great losses of energy, weakness, flat muscles and loss of mental acuity. The benefits of low carb diets in general seem to vary from person to person and a major risk, in addition to those already mentioned, is the regain of lost weight with rapid reintroduction of carbohydrates. A slow transitional period into maintenance decreases the risks. Benefits may be higher if some form of “re-feeding” is employed (such as cyclical ketogenic dieting).
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested in doing it for myself, I work way too long days to pull it off, but I would love some info on the subject from people that have tried it. Like what they ate, how it works etc. Only because I'm interested to find out. But thanks :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It does work. It's a lot like Atkins or general low carb diets. What I've found is that if it works really well for you, you'll need to stay on some modified version of it forever. Going back to eating a lot of carbs (i.e., more than 100g a day) will just pack the weight back on. It's a commitment for life. But then again, it's also a diet that doesn't work at all for some people. My husband included. It was very successful for me. But trying to go back to eating "normally" put back on all the weight. I've now accepted that it's a lifetime diet for me.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    You can do a ketogenic diet with HEALTHY fats. There has to be a way for it to still be healthy. They wouldn't prescribe it for epileptics just to ease the epilepsy but make them unhealthy. Just as with anything, there's always a choice of what foods you're eating. I haven't done quite a ketogenic diet, but I do often limit my carbs. And I still manage to work out 6 days a week - cardio and lifting with not much change in how I feel. As with anything - it varies from person to person. What I liked about it is it's way easier to see muscle definition on a lower carb diet. It did not affect my energy levels or anything either. You can choose healthy, lean protein as well as healthy fat.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are very healthy and a good way to get lean :]

There is nothing wrong with a high fat diet. Grains are something you should definitely avoid! If you dont think so google leaky gut :p

I lost the majority of my weight keto cycling. Recently had to stop since im living off dorm food! Haha back at it in a week though :]

message me or add me if you want to know more about a meal plan!!

FYI to all you who are saying it is unhealthy. Unless she is slurping bacon grease it can be very healthy. All those yummy veggies to get carbs from and plenty of protein and fat :] Very good!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep your carbs under 100g a day, you'll be in ketosis. Its up to you on how to get there. Eggs, milk, chicken, Ham, beef, pork, etc. Just find what combo works for you and go from there. There's plenty of recipes out there to try out and there's a lot of ways to do a ketogenic diet. Good luck!
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Low carb can be totally healthy and sustainable. True, if you are just using it for a quick fix diet and QUIT you will gain all your weight back. But there are plenty of people who choose to follow this lifestyle. Search - No Grain...No Pain, and you will find a community of like minded individuals who follow a low carb/sugar, high protein/fat lifestyle.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I've followed a medically supervised weight loss program that includes a ketogenic diet since December. My meal plan involves 3 protein bars, one small protein snack (I.e. an ounce of cheese), and a meal with lean meat and a serving of non-starchy vegetables. So far I have lost almost 70 lbs, though there are lots of days that I have a few extra carbs. The two weeks I went off the diet on vacation I did gain 7 to 10 lbs but I was eating in restaurants 2 to 3 times a day plus snacks- typical vacation things. I am worried about my ability to maintain afterwards but my doctor will help me with it, and losing the weight has made it easier to exercise so that will help. I'm not sure that doing such a restrictive diet is safe without some sort of medical supervision, but it is effective.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of meat and veggies and minimal fruit :) all kinds of recipes out there!! search for low-carb/paleo/primal recipes. There is nothing wrong with a ketogenic diet, what is healthy for one might be unhealthy for the next. All of our bodies are different. If you are insulin resistant this diet will help you. Just ignore all the people that say it's unhealthy. just because it may not be for them doesn't mean it's not for you. Everyone's body reacts differently to carbs/sugar.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that any diet that requires you to be in a state of ketosis isn't going to last that long. You'll lose weight quickly but it will all come back just as fast. I have put my body in a state of ketosis during induction on Atkins. You can purchase ketostix to check your level of ketosis but honestly - this is not something that you want to do for long.

Disagree. Been doing this type of thing for years and it's the only diet I can tolerate for long periods of time. Works very well for me.

Also- What diet DON'T you gain weight back from if you start eating crap again?
  • MissKim
    Options

Disagree. Been doing this type of thing for years and it's the only diet I can tolerate for long periods of time. Works very well for me.

amen sista!
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

There is a HUGE difference between eating low carb which I have been doing for over 10 years and being in a state of ketosis for 10 years. I needed to consume less than 20 grams of carbs a day to test for ketosis - and I don't know ANYONE who can do this forever. If you can do it, more power to you. But she asked for feedback and this is my feedback whether you agree with it or not.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm in a state of ketosis right now. I cut for 3 months last year, this year I'm just going to stay on Keto full time. I know numerous athletes, fitness models, and bodybuilders - many first-hand not just on Bodybuilding.com - who are on Keto year-round.

No problems with weight rebounding, either. That has nothing to do with Keto - it has to do with eating more calories than maintenance, which you can do on any diet.
  • seansquared
    Options
    Hey I've been reading a lot about the ketogenic diet and it sounds very interesting, does anyone have sample meal plans and experience to share? How has it worked for you? Did it take long to see a difference? :smile: Thanks in advance!

I eat a 65/30/5 split of fats/protein/carbs.

Regarding meal plans, I keep the same two dozen or so foods in the house and just eat them over and over. Sometimes I will add some spices if I want to enjoy myself vs just refueling the machine. My freezer is constantly stocked with lean cuts of beef, chicken, and lean cuts of pork. I keep lots of eggs, cheese, and mayo in the fridge for fats. My pantry is all natural peanut butters and olive oils. Finally I try and eat a small head of romaine or a cup of string beans a day.

Regarding how it has worked? Check my "ticker" at the end of this post. I really only lose weight when in ketosis since I'm carb sensitive (a fact which allowed me to add 9lbs of muscle in 2 months by stuffing down oatmeal and other whole carbs, I might add!)
  • MissKim
    Options
    I'm in a state of ketosis right now. I cut for 3 months last year, this year I'm just going to stay on Keto full time. I know numerous athletes, fitness models, and bodybuilders - many first-hand not just on Bodybuilding.com - who are on Keto year-round.

No problems with weight rebounding, either. That has nothing to do with Keto - it has to do with eating more calories than maintenance, which you can do on any diet.

can you share a link to the forum on bodybuilding.com?? i'm on there and would love to have some friends that are doing the same as me
  • seansquared
    Options
    MissKim, here is a link to the Keto forum on the Bodybuilding.com site:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I would start with the first two threads "New to Keto?" and "Guide to Ketosis". Expect to take several hours reading through these. I researched ketogenic diets for two months before putting a plan into action, and was well-rewarded.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize before that the fat intake would be upped to that degree. All the answers changed my mind, I'm on my first day today and feel great :) Buying the ketostix tomorrow, how long does it usually take for one to get into ketosis? I know it depends on the person and how they eat, but is 3 days a safe bet?
  • MissKim
    Options
    found it seansquared :)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293

love love love this!!! i recommend anyone thinking of trying keto to look at that thread. even if you can't understand all the technical aspects, there's pretty pictures to explain it :)