Protein Shake - Meal Replacement Shakes??

Options
Hi guys,

I am a newcomer and started my diet yesterday. I am doing well, as I usually give up a diet within the first day but I have just finished my second day now, so I am excited! Hope you are all doing well and successful!

My question is can anyone suggest a certain protein shake or meal replacement shake. At the moment on the days that I go to the gym, I find that having a shake as a mid morning snack after I attend the gym helps me feel a little more revitalised and fulfilled until lunch.

Would a protein shake be the best thing? Or should I go for a general nutrition shake? And can anyone suggest any brand names that I can obtain here in the UK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys :):):)

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Shakeology. Hands down, the best shake there is out there. There is an extensive article about it in the May issue of O Magazine on page 214.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I personally use protein shakes. The extra protein helps to rebuild muscle mass quicker, helps me to feel full longer and helps keep the weight down. I mix a couple of scoops of whey protein into a fruit smoothie and that's normally a meal for me.
  • gladysrutter
    gladysrutter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh thats great, thanks guys! Do you think that I shouldn't have it as a mid-morning snack and just have it as a meal replacement as well? At the moment I am striving for a 1200 cal per day (1500 on work out days) however I am not even making 1000 cals at the moment! I really hope this doesn't effect my metabolism, however I just have everything planned out and mainly eating salads so I am getting loads of nutrition but I can't seem to eat enough salad to get over 1000!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS soy protien, found at walmart. They are economical and have 20g of protein per scoop. I have played around with some ingredients and made some really delicious shakes using milk (either dairy or almond milk), yogurt, applesauce, PB, etc. One of my favorites is 8oz almond milk, 1 6oz container of vanilla or plain yogurt, 1/2c nonsweetened applesauce, one scoop of protein powder, and a dash of cinnamon. I put mine in a blender bottle (http://www.blenderbottle.com/) and go! Good luck playing with some recipes!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex is a meal replacement shake. 42g protein and 23g carbs. They also have a "lite" version.
    Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey is another. 23g protein, 23g carbs.

Or you can get a straight protein powder, which is usually around 18-24g protein and 0-5g carbs per scoop, and add something like fruit or milk or oats to round out the carbs to use as a "meal replacement"
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Shakeology. Hands down, the best shake there is out there. There is an extensive article about it in the May issue of O Magazine on page 214.

overpriced. overhyped. do not waste your money on this
  • thkelly
    Options

Or you can get a straight protein powder, which is usually around 18-24g protein and 0-5g carbs per scoop, and add something like fruit or milk or oats to round out the carbs to use as a "meal replacement"

do this instead
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the Special K Protein Shakes. They're premade, so there's not mixing and they taste pretty good. I have one every day for breakfast.
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    My husband and I both like MyoFusion protein shakes. I have one every morning during the work week for part of my breakfast with 10oz of fat-free milk. Then either a peice of fruit, a cup of dry cereal, or a vitatop and breakfast is set! The chocolate one is yummy! If you work out in the morning, maybe have the fruit first and drink the shake after to help "feed" your muscles.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I'm partial to the Special K Protein Shakes. They're premade, so there's not mixing and they taste pretty good. I have one every day for breakfast.

No offense, but that's a pretty crappy product. Only 10g of protein in this so-called "protein shake", and 18g of sugar. Might as well eat pudding.
  • thkelly
    Options
    My husband and I both like MyoFusion protein shakes. I have one every morning during the work week for part of my breakfast with 10oz of fat-free milk. Then either a peice of fruit, a cup of dry cereal, or a vitatop and breakfast is set! The chocolate one is yummy! If you work out in the morning, maybe have the fruit first and drink the shake after to help "feed" your muscles.

myofusion might be the best tasting protein powder out there.
  • gladysrutter
    gladysrutter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys these suggestions are brilliant! I will try them out and see which I like better, I am just hoping that I can actually lose weight on this diet as I haven't been able to lose weight in so long!!!

Thanks for your suggestions!!! xoxo <3:bigsmile:
  • YogaRunner
    Options

You clearly have no idea what is in Shakeology. There is no hype, just pure nutrition that supports healthy functioning in every cell of your body. As I said, read the article in O Magazine.
    My husbands experience with it is this "After drinking Shakeology for 3 months, with no significant change in fitness level, weight, or waist size, my bad cholesterol went down 20% and my good cholesterol increased 25%, reducing my risk of heart attack to 4% over the following decade. After completing ChaLEAN Extreme and the first 10 weeks of P90X, and comparing to before Beach Body, my weight is down 17 lbs, my waist size is 5" smaller, my triglyceride level is down 58% (back to the middle of normal range), my bad cholesterol is down 20% (though still slightly elevated), my good cholesterol is up 44%, and my blood pressure, which was "normal" to "high normal" has dropped to the "low normal" range. As a result of all this, my risk of heart attack in the next decade is down to 3%. Using Beach Body products for the past 15 months has reduced my risk of heart attack by more than 57%, and brought it down to only 27% of the average risk for men my age (which is 11% over a decade)."

I no longer have IBS, my blood sugar is stable and I lost weight using Shakeology. This is the real deal.
  • shouts12
    shouts12 Posts: 87
    Options
    obvious beachbody "coach"
  • thkelly
    Options

You clearly have no idea what is in Shakeology. There is no hype, just pure nutrition that supports healthy functioning in every cell of your body. As I said, read the article in O Magazine.
    My husbands experience with it is this "After drinking Shakeology for 3 months, with no significant change in fitness level, weight, or waist size, my bad cholesterol went down 20% and my good cholesterol increased 25%, reducing my risk of heart attack to 4% over the following decade. After completing ChaLEAN Extreme and the first 10 weeks of P90X, and comparing to before Beach Body, my weight is down 17 lbs, my waist size is 5" smaller, my triglyceride level is down 58% (back to the middle of normal range), my bad cholesterol is down 20% (though still slightly elevated), my good cholesterol is up 44%, and my blood pressure, which was "normal" to "high normal" has dropped to the "low normal" range. As a result of all this, my risk of heart attack in the next decade is down to 3%. Using Beach Body products for the past 15 months has reduced my risk of heart attack by more than 57%, and brought it down to only 27% of the average risk for men my age (which is 11% over a decade)."

I no longer have IBS, my blood sugar is stable and I lost weight using Shakeology. This is the real deal.

wow. make sure the camera is rolling next time so they can put that on the infomercial.

what a joke....
  • YogaRunner
    Options
    obvious beachbody "coach"

Yes, I am a coach and proud of it. Additionally, if I gave up coaching tomorrow, I would still drink Shakeology as it has transformed my family's health. It's really unfortunate how jaded and cynical some people are. I chalk it up to the fact that there are many products and companies out there that overpromise and are not what they tout themselves to be. However, Beachbody has broken that mold. It offers products that are extremely well researched, well presented and extremely effective. If it's not for you, that's fine, but I will speak up when someone is claiming that something is "hype" when I know first hand that it is not only genuine but is also extremely beneficial.
  • skelly013
    skelly013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://www.idealshapestore.com

Ideal Shape meal replacements have gotten good reviews and taste good for this type of product. Yes it only has about 12g of protein but there are numerous articles out there that state the average american is actually getting plenty of protein. I am taking this once a day between breakfast and lunch then a protein shake after my workouts in the afternoon. In the end it should be something that you are actually willing to stick to, have low cholesterol, sodium and sugars. Once you get those three items low and find a good tasting drink just stick to it and the rest will be fine.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    JUST got the chocolate and vanilla powder version of EAS Myoplex
    how do you guys mix this stuff up?
    do you really need a blender or can you stir it in a glass or what?

EAS Myoplex is a meal replacement shake. 42g protein and 23g carbs. They also have a "lite" version.
    Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey is another. 23g protein, 23g carbs.

• taso42_DELETED
    Options

I usually use a "Blender Bottle" (it's a shaker bottle with a spherical whisk inside. VERY effective). If I want to make it fancy, I use a blender and add some permutation of ice, water, non-fat milk, and peanut butter.

In a pinch, you can mix it with a spoon, but I imagine it will leave clumps.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I usually use a "Blender Bottle" (it's a shaker bottle with a spherical whisk inside. VERY effective). If I want to make it fancy, I use a blender and add some permutation of ice, water, non-fat milk, and peanut butter.

In a pinch, you can mix it with a spoon, but I imagine it will leave clumps.

I use those blender bottles too, they work great and lids don't leak at all.