Can I make a shepards pie/casserol with these ingredients?

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I NEED HELP FOR DINNER TONIGHT PLEASE............ONLY 4 HOURS TO GO!!!

I have a 1/2 of bag of hashbrowns, some ground beef, tons of frozen and canned peas, carrots, mushrooms and corn. Plus fresh onions and garlic. I also have a little bit (like 1/2 cup) of grated light italiano cheese.

Can I somehow combine some/all/most of this stuff to make a nice tasting dinner to feed 2 adults and 2 children?

I also have a variety of spices and the usual stuff like olive oil, tomato paste and mushroom soup......CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME IDEAS PLEASE?

**I really want to use up the hashbrowns and I'd like to use the hamburger.....other than that I'm open to whatever suggestions you may have!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me! I would cook the meat and veg with tomato paste, some bouillion (veg/beef/whatever), pinch of sugar, some Italian herbs and garlic. Cook the potatoes, crumble over the meat in a dish add a little cheese for flavour and broil until golden :smile:
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Sounds great to me! I would cook the meat and veg with tomato paste, some bouillion (veg/beef/whatever), pinch of sugar, some Italian herbs and garlic. Cook the potatoes, crumble over the meat in a dish add a little cheese for flavour and broil until golden :smile:
    thanks.....that could work.
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have the fixings for a great casserole to me. My mom used to make "garbage casserole" where she pretty much took leftover anything (or things in the freezer that she needed to use like half bags of veggies, etc.), and put either mashed potatoes, tater tots, or biscuits on top of it. I think she might have added a cream soup (chicken, celery, mushroom, etc.) or gravy (I would suggest fat free/low sodium) to the "garbage mix". It was a great way to use up odds and ends of meals, veggie bags, etc.

Bon Appetit!
    Shan
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Sounds like you have the fixings for a great casserole to me. My mom used to make "garbage casserole" where she pretty much took leftover anything (or things in the freezer that she needed to use like half bags of veggies, etc.), and put either mashed potatoes, tater tots, or biscuits on top of it. I think she might have added a cream soup (chicken, celery, mushroom, etc.) or gravy (I would suggest fat free/low sodium) to the "garbage mix". It was a great way to use up odds and ends of meals, veggie bags, etc.

Bon Appetit!
    Shan
    This is exactly what I was meaning this meal to be......just didn't know if it was gonna work out or not!!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    Thaw the hashbrowns...
    cook the ground beef and drain add in the cream of mushroom and season with pepper, salt and garlic. Once meat is cooked and has thawed.
    Spray a pie pan, or lasagna pan with nonstick spray...Pour hashbrown and mash die to make like a potato crust...add meat and veggies....cook until potatoes are done and then throw on some cheese and cook til melted...

Or:
    Hash Scramble

Cook ground beef and drain..
    Add groundbeef and hasbrown and cook until meat is fully cooped.
    Add veggies to skillet cook until veggies are softened and has browns have begun to brown.

Make a sauce from the cream of mushroom...warm up season with pepper and if needed add a little water to thin out...The cream of mushroom is added to plated hash and topped with cheese.

Now I'm hungry!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    have you ever had a strata before? it's different layers of food in a casserole-type dish, binded together with eggs.

i would cook up your meat and mushrooms with some taco seasoning (don't forget the onion and garlic). whip 6 eggs in a bowl with some milk.

layer hashbrowns on the bottom with some butter. add taco meat. add canned corn (drained). pour eggs and milk over top. cook until hashbrowns and eggs are done and sprinkle with cheese. garnish with green onions and sour cream/plain greek yogurt if you have it.

or you can make it without the eggs. just the hashbrowns, meat and corn. simple.

i always advise to skip the peas, but that's because we are a pea-hatin' family. :)