daily sugar amount

Options
boy03727
boy03727 Posts: 26 Member
How much sugar should I be eating? I have noticed that I can't even hardly eat any fruit or I will go over on my sugar. The amount that MFP suggests seems so low for a whole day. I always go over on sugar. I am not a diabetic and I try to keep my carbs in the 40-45% range. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also looking for help with this! I never paid any attention to sugar ntake because although I have a sweet toth, it's rare that I eat sweets/desserts. But man, my sugar intake from fruit alone sends me way off my MFP range!

Is it really unhealthy to go over if it's mainly fruit intake? Or do the health benefits of fruit counteract it? (please say "yes" :tongue: )
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also want to know. I've asked this before in the past and received mix answered. Some people think it's okay if you're eating fruit. Others say sugar is sugar so it doesn't matter where it comes from - it's still sugar.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP sugar guideline is mostly for added sugars, but it doesn't distinguish. However, if you're pre-diabetic or diabetic, you need to talk to your doctor about this probably.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    HOLY COW! I never looked at my sugar intake before and didn't realize how way over I'm going... not sure if I'm going to bother adjusting in though since it's all from fruits and vegetables...
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Schwiggity is right the concern is for added sugars in processed foods or even table sugars or natural sweeteners (honey, agave and such) The sugars in fruits are still sugars so a concern if diabetic or prediabetic. However, they also have fiber, vitamins and minerals that offset the impact of the sugar.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I stopped including sugar on my nutrition thingy for exactly this reason. Making a smoothie or something ALWAYS sent it over! I don't have a sweet tooth, so I decided that eating fruit is fine and I'm not going to worry about sugar anymore. The only other sugar I get is from Luna bars or granola- stuff like that. I dunno why it's so low on here =/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are a few numbers in MFP that are "off", sugar being one (too low), sodium being another (too high). Just adjust the number in your goals manually.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So I was definitely one that always thought that added sugars and natural sugars are different and that this was added sugars BUT finally after about 3 weeks of meeting every other number and only going over on sugar and protein with no weight loss I decided starting last week to try and cut the sugar down to 32g. That said, I removed all of my processed sugar basically and cut my fruit down to 2 servings a day (one with breakfast & one with my morning snack of yogurt) and I can say that I finally lost weight last week. I mean I started on here trying to get the last 8 pounds off, the first week took off one pound and then nothing for 2 weeks straight...last week with the sugar down--lost 1.5 pounds the first week and am down .5 pounds so far since Sunday (I weigh myself daily). So I am going to say that cutting the sugar low really does help. I have also been told by tons of my trainer friends that this sugar is what gives the little pouch in your belly too, which I am trying to get rid of!

The whole cutting my sugar down to 32g was REALLY hard the first 4 days because I am so used to my added sugars being down and then not counting my fruits BUT I can say that I do see results and it has motivated me to keep on that track....plus now that I have been tracking it so closely the last 10 days I realize just how much sugar is in all the foods I eat including my fat free greek yogurts and fruit!

I say take it on as a challenge and if you don't see a difference then that's cool, but I am sticking with it because I see results!
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not going to worry too much about it- I am not existing on sugar alone and my meals/snacks are pretty balanced and healthy. Also no pre-existing conditions that warrant sugar monitoring. I focus more on calories, protein, fiber and vitamins right now- seem programmed to really limit fat intake so was trying to increase that a bit before joining, but MFP set it as 12g a day which is way lower than healthy, IMO. Yeah...thinking that adjusting my targets might be a good idea!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading ... I usually eat double the amount of sugar recommended by MFP ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

I might try to cut that back ...
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This thread prompted me to read that Times article which in turn prompted me to watch this youtube video.
    WOW !! Is all I can say.

I will seriously change my diet to exclude as much sugar as possible.
    That includes sugars from fruit.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    this article also helps put "fruit sugars" in perspective...i'm also going to cut back on my fruit intake...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/394862-how-much-fructose-is-healthy/
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely careful about sugar intake regardless of the source. This is mostly because I have a horrific sweet tooth that will act up after eating seemingly healthy things like fruit smoothies and flavored yogurts.

I don't have a problem with fruit, but I find if I eat higher sugar fruits, I just get hungry afterward :( So instead, I eat a handful of almonds.

Today's intake = 8 grams.