2 weeks to train for a 5K...Help!

Options
Iorns78
Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
OK, questions to my runners (or for me "woggers"), I AM going to do a 5K on May 14, I know that does not give me a whole lot of time to train, I am ok with that, I am not out to set any records, just some motivation to get myself rolling again.

My questions is...what would be the best way to train for it? Last night I did...walk 2 mins, run 2 mins, for the first mile then I did walk 1 min, run 3 mins...Is this a good way to try and get my cardio up? Now I havent "wogged" outside since last year and I know it is much tougher (for me), but this course is all paved so that will help, right?!

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. :-) And remember I am not out to set any records, if I can do this in less than 45 minutes I will be one happy girl (secretly shooting for 38) :-)

Replies

• gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    that will help. just remember its all about breathing & pace.
  • biwinner
    biwinner Posts: 18
    Options
    Are you doing the Race for Life? I am too and am in the same boat. Do cardio at home in front of DVDs but am a bit scared about jogging 5k. I am going to aim to do the run for 2 walk for 2 thing tomorrow evening - I think that is the best way to start. We'll just have to do a bit more each day and hopefully not collapse on the 14th.

x
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well your goal is pretty much 12 minute miles which is 5mph so you need to train yourself more than run 3 walk 1 because if your goiung 4mph jog and 2mph walk your not going to be able to hit your time. Instead try this Jog at 6mph for 3 minutes then walk at 3mph for 1 minute and go back and forth with that
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of the Couch to 5K program, which is also interval running. You are going about it exactly the right way!

My sister, the marathon runner, tells me that intervals are the way to go, even when running a full marathon. She runs 6 minutes and walks one minute when doing a full or a half marathon and runs 3 minutes and walks 1 minute for a 5K. You are already where you need to be!

At this point, just keep at the 3 minute run, 1 minute walk pace and increase your distance until you are going the whole 5K. Then you can work on your running speed. Be careful that you aren't running every day! I know with your short schedule you're going to be tempted to do it every day but you greatly increase the chance that you will hurt yourself. Every other day is the key, with either weight training or some other form of cardio on the days between.

Good luck!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'd say try a few things. Intervals are definitely good, and that'll probably be the way to go with your 5K. Run for a few minutes or as long as you feel comfortable and walk to bring your heart rate down. Also, don't be afraid to jog slowly! That was how I ended up going from only being able to run for 15 minutes without stopping to running 5K without stopping. I dialed down the treadmill to 4.3 or 4.5 (I'm only 5'2") and that really helped me to keep a steady pace that didn't exhaust me after 2K. Either way, you should be able to finish under 45 minutes if you run at a 13 mile per minute pace the whole thing (which is a little slower than I just ran my 5K and I finished in under 40) or run intervals where you're running at a faster pace and you take walking breaks.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last month. I trained for 1 month before the race. I just ran as much as I could and walked for a few minutes and ran some more. Im definitely a wogger. It took me 44min. I was very happy with my time. The fastest I had done. I found it helped if I set small goals. (Like Im going to run to that mail box.) Kept me going. I plan on doing another one in June. You can do it! Keep up your training! Enjoy your run and Good Luck!