exercise question. help please!

Options
i usually do my exercise in the morning, but i'm wondering whether it is better to eat breakfast BEFORE i work out, or wait until after.
does anyone know the answer to the question, or know where i might be able to find some suggestions?

thanks!

Replies

• lauraj828
    Options
    i usually do my exercise in the morning, but i'm wondering whether it is better to eat breakfast BEFORE i work out, or wait until after.
    does anyone know the answer to the question, or know where i might be able to find some suggestions?

thanks!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    My experience (and I'm no expert here) is that my workouts feel much better (i.e., I feel like I can push it harder and go longer) when I have fuel in me. I usually have a yogurt smoothie or a yogurt and fruit to get both the protein and the carbs. Post-workout I usually grab 2 tbsp of almonds along with another fruit. I used to work out before I ate and, honestly, I felt more tired much sooner.

Great that you are working out! Don't you love it when you are done in the morning and you have the rest of the day knowing that you already did one positive thing for yourself???:smile:
  • lauraj828
    Options
    yes! that's why i love to work out in the morning! i definitely start my day with a more positive outlook. thanks for the feedback!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want to eat some carbs about an hour to two hours before hand, giving your body time to break down the fuel and deliver it. Eating before is always better, but you don't need to go crazy, you want to give it enough to feel like it's being fueled, but you also want to make sure you're dipping into fat stores as well. It's a little bit of a balancing act, you have to do some tweaking to fit your individual body, which can take time to figure out, but once you do, it's pretty constant.
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    every thing ive read says to burn more fat stores, calories and to increase matabolism. you should work out before eating and as shortly after waking up as possible. i find no change in my energy level ,but have always gotten better results that way. following each work out and i mean as im walking out the door of the gym. i drink a 32 gram of protein shot and eat a bannana to feed the muscles. my opinion and just my opinion, would be to try both ways and let your body make the decision. u will def know after a couple of weeks what your body wants and can used too. hope it helped a little. good luck and god bless.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I think if you follow the thread of all the posts the theme is do what your body wants you to do before or after you work out.

If you think of the kids in soccer or other youth sports. At some point during the game they all get to the sidelines and have an orange slice and some water before the 2nd half. If you feel peckish during your workout then something like that will help you get through your routine.

Remember that whether you eat before or after is really up to you and the type of effort you're going to put forth.