HRM

Options
Which one do You recommend?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way... .Best investment I ever made and is prices reasonably! I got mine on ebay for $80!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    This reply probably wont help as very much, but not all HRMs are the same. The purchase should depend on what you will be using it for. What exercises you usually do, and what features you want.

Currently I've got a cheap one I picked up before a local store when out of business, I don't even know what make it is...but I'm looking at getting a new one, Polar seems to be my current choice, although I'm holding off until I've done my research.

Provide some more information in regards to usage and hopefully you will get better answers :)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    <~~~~ Polar FT7
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way... .Best investment I ever made and is prices reasonably! I got mine on ebay for $80!

does the ft4 count calories for you as well? I think that's what I am missing on my HRM
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Any Polar model!
    I would not recommend the Timex that was recommended by Consumer Reports.. I bought it from best buy and wound up returning it a day later because of how off it was in the calories.
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I have an Oregon Scientific OR-SE102 Heart Rate Monitor. It was only $35 at Walmart (and comparable online) and it counts my calories and all that fancy stuff. It's perfect for what I need. Has a chest strap so it continually updates your HR and also has options to enter your age, weight, height and fitness level.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    This reply probably wont help as very much, but not all HRMs are the same. The purchase should depend on what you will be using it for. What exercises you usually do, and what features you want.

Currently I've got a cheap one I picked up before a local store when out of business, I don't even know what make it is...but I'm looking at getting a new one, Polar seems to be my current choice, although I'm holding off until I've done my research.

Provide some more information in regards to usage and hopefully you will get better answers :)

I suppose that would have been more helpful, haha! I'm looking more for something that will give me better accuracy with how many calories I burn. Mostly through exercise, but something that could tally up a daily estimate would be nice too. Not sure if something like that is out there. (I'm new to this... can ya tell?)
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Polar HRMs are the best!
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    Everyone really seems to love the Polar ones, but since I am on a STRICT budget I purchased a Pro-Form TX-300 at Wal-mart for $45. It's not a polar, but it works great and does everything i need it to and more. =) If you are on a budget you might look at the pro-form ones at walmart. They had quite a few different ones there. The TX-300 comes with the chest strap as well for continuous monitoring and it calculates your calories & fat burned. It works great for a good starter HRM. Once i have some extra money I want to upgrade it, but for now this does everything I need it to do.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex T5H881 that I love. it does everything I ask of it and accurately!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    When I bought my thrid one, what I did was make a list of the features that it had to have, features that would have been nice to have, things that I really didn't care about. Like for me, knowing how many calories I burned wasn't a big thing. But it absolutely, positively had to have a consumer replaceable battery. If it didn't, that was a definite deal breaker. Otherwise, I'd have to send the watch/transmitter back to the manufacturer each time I had to replace the battery, which would have been a royal pain.

Right now I have the FT7. I do wish that it displayed the heartrate and had a stopwatch feature on the same screen. Actually, it doesn't have a stopwatch feature, but I manage. What it does have is a duration timer.

Another thing about the FT7 (and this really isn't a biggie) is that there's no way to turn the watch off. Even when you're not wearing it, it'll display the time. It just runs the battery down faster, that's all.

In all, I'm happy with my FT7, and it wasn't all that expensive. You can get them more expensive, but it'll depend on the features that you get.