Sharing my pictorial "How To" for making lettuce last longer

Options
MissO﹠A
MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
Thought I'd share my post on how to make your lettuce last longer. That prepared crap from the supermarket never seems to last long enough.

I know it's such a simple thing but I think having fresh, crisp lettuce on hand can potentially save one from making a bad food choice -- or at least it helps me. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissOutandAbout/view/how-to-make-lettuce-which-defies-going-manky-99694

Replies

• mhoward48
    mhoward48 Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds helpful, I may pick up one of those spinner thingys:)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    thanks!
  • MissO﹠A
    Options
    Sounds helpful, I may pick up one of those spinner thingys:)

Highly recommend salad spinners! They make salad prep so much easier. (The one I used was an "El Cheapo" model from Walmart. Less than $10.)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nice. I unfortunately buy the crappy pre-prepared bags because I'm lazy but it DOES drive me mad how it doesn't last long enough. Thanks for the tip!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I have also heard that storing lettuce in a glass container makes it last longer. So maybe try lining a Pyrex container with paper towels?
  • MissO﹠A
    Options
    Balfonso: Same here, guilty as charged with overwhelming laziness. For some bizarre reason, I'm just loathe throwing away over half a bag of rotten muck lettuce.

Newbeautifulme: Ah, nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to do some experimenting. Gives me an excuse to buy one of those big, honking Pyrex bowls with the plastic lids.

There's some mojo with the paper towels along with removing the veins of the lettuce that keeps it from going off -- talking at minimum 2 to 3 days longer than normal.